Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

$5000 cash... what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 08:26 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i had 5000 bux, i would buy a monkey
Old 11-14-05, 09:38 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
If i had 5000 bux, i would buy a monkey
stop making pointless post to bring up your count... your still a noob. lets keep it on topic...

as for my budget NA-T kit, i sold the manifold a while ago for only $300.
Old 11-15-05, 06:46 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

so its not the complete kit for 800?
Old 11-15-05, 04:11 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

i would have had it up and running for about $800, on about 6 or 8psi. so, yes, it would have been all for about $800. but i threw out the idea.
Old 11-15-05, 07:04 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Ok, just added up Dave H's price list, and the total came up to $5320. I believe he is upwards of 600hp on his stock 2jz-ge, so I guess it would really be a toss up between 1jz or sticking with 2jz-ge. (to get 600hp, that is...)
Old 11-15-05, 07:22 PM
legendary
Racer

Thumbs up Can be used in the future

This thread is good - let's keep it on topic
Giving me some ideas too

Thanks!
Old 11-15-05, 07:27 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by legendary
This thread is good - let's keep it on topic
Giving me some ideas too

Thanks!
5,000 bucks, you can either go for show or go. Since I'm in California, I would lean more towards exterior body work, staggered wheels, widened fenders, suspension and interior redone. And if there's anything left, some minor engine mods such as bfi intake, etc... thats my .02
Old 11-16-05, 07:20 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

pilip99: 5,000 bucks, you can either go for show or go. Since I'm in California, I would lean more towards exterior body work, staggered wheels, widened fenders, suspension and interior redone. And if there's anything left, some minor engine mods such as bfi intake, etc... thats my .02

hmmmm show for $5000? let's do another break down for a quality show car:
rims $2500 and up
any real body kit $2000 and up
quality install $1500

$5000 especially in cali gets you no where unless its modded under the hood.

now you can do a knock off special such as:

ebay na-t kit $1000
used jdm deep dish rims $1500
interior $2000
suspension $ 500 (ground control coilovers)
ebay special bodykit $400

and you are still over the $5000
Old 11-16-05, 10:45 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i'm lost on why getting a jdm 2jz-gte is such a bad thing.

i know i'm new here, BUT just try to follow my thinking:
whever is NEEDIng the USDM adapter, can't it be kept from the stock 2jz-ge motor, and therefor use the harness that came w/ the car to mate it?

I understand you'd have the lesser turbo, and the worse ecu, and more fun come emission/inspeciton time...but still, just htinking. Oh yea, since supras aren't exactly something i see cut in half all the time, guessing you also lose the 6spd tranny

and just to double check, the stock 5-spd tranny from the sc300 will mate to the 2jz and handle at least 400hp, right?(assume smooth shifts, not racing everywhere)

reason for me posting this:
i've been looking at options in the future, and see most people saying turbo the stock motor.
I don't like how the turbo kits just make a thicker head gasket and call it a day, so i personally would rather try to go with a stock turbo motor.
as i said i've been researching, the 2jz definately has more long-road potential because of it's amazing aftermarket, but i'm not going for pure straight speed.
now, before and after costs is the problem
i have yet to find a real cost on a 2jz swap(can't source usdm, and have not heard much about jdm...still buying Phil's book)

Basically, you have 3 options, and you just wanna do one and be happy for a bit
NA-T(would need new internals)
1JZ
2JZ

this is me kind of ranting on not being able to find a simple sticky w/ all the info i need, lol...sorry
don't even have to reply to all of this, because i'm sure Phil's book will answer a good bit.
Old 11-17-05, 06:23 AM
legendary
Racer

Default Welcome......and Search is your friend

Originally Posted by ConSynX

this is me kind of ranting on not being able to find a simple sticky w/ all the info i need, lol...sorry
don't even have to reply to all of this, because i'm sure Phil's book will answer a good bit.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=2jzgte+swap
Old 11-17-05, 08:38 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

2jz-gte is not a bad thing. its just not the best bang for your buck. under $5000
Old 11-17-05, 10:50 AM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ConSynX

reason for me posting this:
i've been looking at options in the future, and see most people saying turbo the stock motor.
I don't like how the turbo kits just make a thicker head gasket and call it a day, so i personally would rather try to go with a stock turbo motor.

Basically, you have 3 options, and you just wanna do one and be happy for a bit
NA-T(would need new internals)
1JZ
2JZ
The 2jz-gte will cost ~$10,000 just to swap, let alone trying to make it a 900hp monster. The stock 2jz-ge has the exact same internals as the 2jz-gte with the exception of the oil squirters and the dished pistons. Putting on a 3mm headgasket will drop the compression down to 2jz-gte specs so that you can run higher boost.

Dave H over at club-na-t is running over 600hp on his 2jz-ge and he has 150k miles on it. That reason alone is enough to say that the only reason to go 2jz-gte is if you want to make over 700hp. I dont want that, so I just wanted to see what you could do with the 1jz vs 2jz-ge with $5000 bucks.

(To clarify, the 2jz-ge IS the 2jz-gte without the turbo. No new internals needed )
Old 11-17-05, 11:00 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

great news to hear there!

so same crank, rods.
you say no internals, but mention a piston difference.

does this mean all the compression ratio difference in only in the pistons?
if so, NA-T it is, lol
Old 11-17-05, 06:09 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Yep, all the same forged stuff. Apparantly, Toyota decided to create more low end torque in the engines without the turbos, so they just put different pistons in (they are still forged though).

On a side note, this is only the case with 92-97 cars... 98+ engines are not able to withstand the abuse. (correct me if I am wrong) Believe me, it was quite the revalation when I found out about this (almost as much as when I heard Chris was running 900hp/9sec 1/4's on a stock internal engine... )

Last edited by Psionic; 11-17-05 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 09:38 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

whoa.... just finished reading this thread from start to finish.... it seems like the general concensus swayed from 1jz is the way to go.... to NA-T is the way to go...

i know its been a whole month.... but i'm in the same boat as psionic and soardrft (he soardrft.... i'm in so cal.... maybe we should meet up and discuss sometime.... i'm going ebay special turbo too)

here's my 2 cents...

I just got done reading a post from SF about kirk dyno'ing 381 rwhp at only 10PSI on stock compression with his NA-T. Read that again.... 381 at 10 PSI on STOCK COMPRESSION. It seems that as time goes by people are learning more about tuning according to compression. I don't even think he's on stand alone. Just your basic piggy backs.

For 5k you can go ebay turbo kit, headgasket and ARP head studs and have plenty left for suppoting mods or whatever else you want to do.

we'll say 1500 for ebay turbo kit with good oil lines and hardware
200 for a 2.5 cometic HG
130 for ARP studs
and XXX for labor depending if you're doing it yourself or not

then 300 for 550's
100 for fuel pump
120 for SAFC

thats about 2350 ..... i might have left out some stuff but you get the idea

2350 will get you at the very least 400+ at conservative boost levels.... then you can go get yourself another GE motor for like 200 if you think you're gonna blow (highly unlikely unless you do something wrong like poor tuning or something)

on the other hand... 1jz will be like 1200-1400 shipped to your door, and since its a motorset you'll prolly need another 200-300 in misc stuff. I would personally still upgrade fuel pump... so another 100 and you're right around 2k........... BUT you've got a clean *** engine bay... which i gotta admit is a big thing for me.

I dunno... i'm still trying to decide myself.... but i think the 3liter will be alot funner for a daily driven car (but oh man a 1jz with exhaust sounds super nice.... small inline 6's sound sooooo goood)

Quick Reply: $5000 cash... what would you do?