Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC having trouble speeding up

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 12:38 PM
swollio
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC having trouble speeding up

my 92 SC400 just started jerking a little bit like it is having trouble changing gear..... it doesnt do this all the time, just sometimes. i recently purchased the car so i have no idea when the transmission fluid was changed.... it jerks a lil and seem to have trouble gassing up faster. what could be the problem to this? and how much would it cost to fix...... i will replace the transmission fluid soon, but i want to know whats the problem of this..... any help would help. thanx alot. and yes ive searched but not much info was found. Is the transmission a common problems among the sc400? what other common problems should i fear in the future since it is a very old car....
Old 11-14-05, 01:07 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swollio
my 92 SC400 just started jerking a little bit like it is having trouble changing gear..... it doesnt do this all the time, just sometimes. i recently purchased the car so i have no idea when the transmission fluid was changed.... it jerks a lil and seem to have trouble gassing up faster. what could be the problem to this? and how much would it cost to fix...... i will replace the transmission fluid soon, but i want to know whats the problem of this..... any help would help. thanx alot. and yes ive searched but not much info was found. Is the transmission a common problems among the sc400? what other common problems should i fear in the future since it is a very old car....
Your car is not very old, just older

Common problems would be no different than any other 13-14 year-old car. Maintenance is key! Change that tranny fluid then see what happens!!! More than likely, that is the culprit. Remember that the SC400 tranny requires Toyota Type IV fluid. Anything else and you will end with what you are experiencing now or the dreaded "Tranny Shudder"
Old 11-14-05, 10:16 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

say the previous owner had ran a different type of tranny fluid and you had the "shudder" and hesitation, when changing to the type iv will this get rid of the problem or is the tranny going to be the same until replaced???
Old 11-15-05, 07:48 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cal9126
say the previous owner had ran a different type of tranny fluid and you had the "shudder" and hesitation, when changing to the type iv will this get rid of the problem or is the tranny going to be the same until replaced???
Flushing and replacing with Type IV has resolved the "shudder" issue in my SC4
Old 11-15-05, 07:22 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Broken mounts maybe? I would check those first especially if it smooths out after it gets going.