Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sneak peak before the big numbers come in

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 10:18 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rscott
PS. i might have a clutch for you =)
will it fit a R154 tranny and hold up to 700 whp?
Old 12-01-05, 02:06 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes =)

for my setup im going with the TRD twin disc for comforts sake. this one can be a little more chattery and sharp.

What turbo did you go with?
Old 12-01-05, 06:13 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rscott
yes =)

for my setup im going with the TRD twin disc for comforts sake. this one can be a little more chattery and sharp.

What turbo did you go with?
T78/33d what kinda clutch is it? Is it a full race? I'm kinda weary on those because my car is daily driven.
Old 12-01-05, 08:47 AM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

wow that pic is a real teaser but good luck with the #'s just let us know asap when they come in
Old 12-01-05, 09:55 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

its either the Ogura twin disc or the OS Giken Twin Disc. Its on my motor right now but im pulling it off before the motor goes in my car. Ill verify that and give you a call later. Ive heard varying opinions on how streetable it is. Some say its decently smooth for a twin disc and some say its one of the stiffer ones. Ill let you know by sunday or so. Im heading out of town tonight but ill pick it up from my mom's house on the way back.

Last edited by rscott; 12-01-05 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 10:50 AM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
short story:

1JZ and 2JZ having the same bore, and the 1JZ having a shorter stroke. Put two identical cars next to eachother, one with a 500hp 1JZ, and the other with a 500hp 2JZ. Put both on a race track, like roadcourse.. the 1JZ will be the faster car due to its ability to rev quicker and higher.
And the smaller displacement motor with all parts identical would be quicker why?
Old 12-01-05, 10:52 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 90redsupra
And the smaller displacement motor with all parts identical would be quicker why?
VJ RC51 has been for a week
Old 12-02-05, 07:37 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 90redsupra

yeah for sure, more torque with the 2j and both are more than capable to rev since the 2j is a square bore/stroke so its not that hard to rev it up either.

either way i cant wait to see how this turns out. keep up the good work and get some vids for us to watch!
Old 12-28-05, 07:02 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

what engine management are you using? what's the mpg like? what size injectors? nice setup as far as i can see. hopefully mine will be done one day.
Old 12-28-05, 12:01 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soardrft
what engine management are you using? what's the mpg like? what size injectors? nice setup as far as i can see. hopefully mine will be done one day.

I'm using a Apexi Power FC, 800cc injectors, and my mileage went to crap. I used to be able to get 280 miles with about 1/8th of a tank left. Now, I only get about 230 with the same about left. Terrible.
Old 12-28-05, 12:06 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

did you have tunning issues with the power fc or did you get the one for the 1jzgte
Old 12-28-05, 12:20 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soardrft
did you have tunning issues with the power fc or did you get the one for the 1jzgte
got one from the 2jzgte and had it rewired. So far it is street tuned until i fully break in the turbo. The Power FC for the 1JZ was going to take 2 months to arrive. Screw that.
Old 12-28-05, 12:27 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

good luck man... i REALLY want to see this finished ! it's going to be soooo sweet
Old 12-28-05, 03:04 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Alot of people will argue with you (that are open minded) that the 1JZ is the superior motor in a design standpoint. It has a better bore/stroke combination. People think supra and think the best, but Toyota knew what they were doing with the 1JZGTE.

I would personally never make a 1.5JZ, it just totally defeats the purpose of the motors design. It has a very smooth and useable powerband, unlike what the 2JZ is known for... off, and on.

When i used to race gokarts professionally, we had an open motor brand "stock" class. We had a choice of 4 motors.. Kohler 185cc, Honda 20xcc, Briggs 206cc.. I was the only person to race the kohler, everyone thought bigger was better. The Kohler has the optimal bore/stroke combination but everyone just saw size. The motors were all rated around 6hp. While the Honda and briggs guys were hitting the of their power around 6000rpms on the backstretch, the kohler would rev to a good 7500rpms. Being it was a .62mi asphalt roadcourse with 1000ft straightaway, on race gokarts with just a clutch system (no gearbox), i usually always ended up winning by ALOT. Everyone always thought i was cheating, blah blah because on the straight i would just rocket past everyone. Ok long story short.. The moral is.. Bigger isnt always better. Know what your working with and what your purposes are for it, the american theroy that bigger is better isnt always true
Oh yeah? I think my 2J would put your 1J to shame.
Old 12-28-05, 03:10 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

what a ge put a 1jz to shame ? interesting.... explain please....

Quick Reply: sneak peak before the big numbers come in