Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help NEED TRANNY FOR 92 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 01:49 PM
madlooper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help NEED TRANNY FOR 92 SC400

I have a 1992 SC400 with 222k miles ...... Tranny went out about 2mo ago and I took it to a shop here in the Dallas area ( was not a Lexus Dealer) however I thought I trusted but I may need to reconsider my options ... I was quoted 1950.00 for a rebuild and they sd it may be a few hundred dollars cheeper if some of the gears were save able .....That seems a little high ...?
So does anyone know of another rep. shop that would be cheeper but would not compromise the quality of work that is needed to fix this age-ing Lexus .... And since Iam getting tranny should I upgrade the TC as well .... Any advice would be greatly appreciated .... Please help this car-less falling deeper in depression guy in Dallas .

Madlooper
Old 12-28-05, 02:36 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That is not too bad at all.

How do you know you need a new tranny? What was it doing?

More details please, however for a fully rebuilt tranny that doesn't sound too bad - and yes, I would upgrade the TC. I have been looking at the one on lextreme myself.
Old 12-28-05, 04:32 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

An automatic trans rebuild is all seals, and clutches. I'm sure with that many miles, the trans was slipping, or not going into gear.
a rebuild will be seals, and clutches. they will not replace any hard parts, or gears. if they have to the price will drastically increase.
I purchased a rebuild kit, all raybestos blue friction discs, and Koleen steels along with a rebuilt torque converter with a higher stall for around $400.00 (this is material only, no labor)
and the clutches they will use in a standard rebuild are much cheaper, and they usally will reuse the same steels.

all the $ you pay is for the labor. a trans shop is probably spending around $195 on material thats why your paying $1,950
the problem is getting someone who knows what there doing, to do it for less.

If $1950 is the price with them removing, and reinstalling you probably won't be able to do much better.
Old 12-28-05, 06:10 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

My auto 400 with 209000 on the tranny still shifts solid. Most likely the prior owners either skimped on service or when they did have it serviced used the wrong ATF.

rdm20, can you give me more info on the rebuild kit you purchased? I have never tackled a transmission, but may do so as I would love to learn about them.

P
Old 12-29-05, 11:13 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

First I purchased 2 service manuals. 1 from the place I purchased the Clutches/Steels, and rebuild Kit.
Transtar Industries http://www.transtarindustries.com/
The service manual they sold was more of a general manual, as this basic trans is used in some Nissans, Jeeps, Supra, the LS, and SC Plus others. this family of trans is very common.

I then purchased a complete service manual form Lexus. I think it was around $100, and I had to wait 2 or 3 weeks for it.

If you plan on trying some performance mods, I would recomend the Lexus manual. If you are going to do a simple rebuild, I would just get the transtar one.

From Transtar I purchased a rebuild kit, Raybestos "BLUE" friction discs (Clutches) http://www.raybestosproducts.com/index.html
and Koleen steels. One pack I couldn't get the Koleen steels, so i went with standard.
One set of friction plates were actually to large, and Chris (CHRISMAN) machined them down for me to work.
Raybestos Blue, and Koleen steels are susposed to have a 300% increase in holding capasity over stock. this is what they claim. My trans failed ar 350 RWHP, and I am now pushing 510RWHP with so far, no failure.

If you are not making more HP I would just get the standard Friction plates, and standard steel.
ALSO REPLACE THE SPRAG. they fail, and are an inexpensive part.
If you have a shop rebuild the trans ask them to replace the sprag.

Hope this helps, but it was a fairly complex rebuild.

Last edited by rdm20fan; 12-29-05 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-29-05, 12:10 PM
madlooper
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Hey guys thanks for the replys and to answer some of the questions reguarding the tanny ...
To put it plane and simple once it warms up ( all of about 5min) unless its cold outside then a bit longer it just will not enguage in gear. It doesnt matter what gear I put it in L, S, D or R the car will creap and lung forward slowly. Now when its cold right after start up it seems fine you can go in any gear but once it warms up its not gonna move much ...

rdm20fan ... Thanks for the tips on the rebuild kit that may be something to look into. Iam not quite that experienced to tackel a tranny but some of my friends are and with that info and some presistance I may be able to talk them into doing it on a weekend . Is there any other parts or tools that will be needed to make things go smoothly that I need to invest in . With it poss. being a weekend job and some parts are hard to find any info on that would be a big help and greatly appreciated ...

So 1950.00 doesnt seem high ? humm ok

Well thanks again guys ..
Madlooper

Last edited by madlooper; 12-29-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 05:20 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

if they are removing the trans, rebuilding it, and reinstalling it, I think thats a fairly common price for a shop.
Is it a deal? No!
especially since all the $ is labor, but it's an average trans price.
Old 12-29-05, 05:32 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
An automatic trans rebuild is all seals, and clutches. I'm sure with that many miles, the trans was slipping, or not going into gear.
a rebuild will be seals, and clutches. they will not replace any hard parts, or gears. if they have to the price will drastically increase.
I purchased a rebuild kit, all raybestos blue friction discs, and Koleen steels along with a rebuilt torque converter with a higher stall for around $400.00 (this is material only, no labor)
and the clutches they will use in a standard rebuild are much cheaper, and they usally will reuse the same steels.

all the $ you pay is for the labor. a trans shop is probably spending around $195 on material thats why your paying $1,950
the problem is getting someone who knows what there doing, to do it for less.

If $1950 is the price with them removing, and reinstalling you probably won't be able to do much better.
Yeah usually its that high. A friend of mine blew his SC4 tranny after a long road trip on the freeway. He had it rebuilt and had a valve adjustment all for about $1900. If this happened to me I'd just go ahead and just buy another low mileage used Transmission. Ive seen some go for about half the price of rebuilding one.
Old 12-30-05, 02:09 AM
madlooper
Driver School Candidate

wow its early ..... anyways I was thinking do I really want to sink that much money into a car that still gonna need some other things fixed .... I mean It has some play in the drive shaft and power stearing pump needs replaced and poss. the p/s rack as well . It also needs motor mounts and trans/ mounts replaced .. The A/C compressor is starting to make some noises and it could use a good tune up. ...Things I have done is quite a list as well so Iam at a point where I have already dished out so much money that I hate to just throw in the towel ... In the past 6mo I have done ......new brakes and rotors all the way around .. new tires ... new radiatior ., new idle bearing ten. new batt. new k./n airfilter , new surp. belt . and ....timing belt was done 40k miles ago .. that cost alone was 1200.00 so iam torn between fixing or scrapping ... what do you guys think .... LOL ...
Old 12-30-05, 05:36 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

I read on a soarer forum about just cleaning out the valve body very well. dang, don't remember where though but it posts detailed instructions and says it is a much cheaper fix.
Old 12-31-05, 12:38 AM
madlooper
Driver School Candidate

Default Need TRANSMISSION for 92SC400

Ok guys I found a 93 SC400 and I can get the tranny the drive shaft and many other parts that I need like powerstearing pump , the sunroof (mine has a crack ) . I aslo can get many other parts that I could use from the interior like door trim a master switch for windows and locks .I can get all these things for 1300.00 ... Now hear is the kicker ....Its a car from New Orleans yea I know ehhh ..... But I did pull the dip stick on the tranny and it did not have any water in it and it was red and didnt have a burnt smell ... now when I pulled the dip stick from the oil it was a different story it was nasy almost like a thick mix of mud and oil and water .. then I checked the tranny again and it seemed fine ... what do you guys think ... I think that water prob. seaped in threw the tail pipes and thats why there is water in the motor.... I am also thinking that the tranny may be ok due to it beeing sealed fairly well. I was told that he would give me a 90 day warr. on all parts even the tranny ..and he said when he pulls the tranny he will pull the pan and if there is any question then he will sell me just the parts I need and not charge for the tranny . .... So it seems like I cant go wrong here ... if its looks good then he will sell it and give me a 90day warr. if its not good then I will only be charged for the other parts .. ... what would you do. ? ...

Madlooper .

Last edited by madlooper; 12-31-05 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-02-06, 09:18 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Don't know. if the trans fluid looks ok? I guess.
If the water got in, and the car wasn't driven, you could be ok with a good flush. water itself isn't reallt going to hurt the trans.
If it's driven like that it could, but still make for a good rebuild core.

If you get the motor, and want to sell it, let me know. I can always use a spare.
Old 01-12-06, 11:48 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
Don't know. if the trans fluid looks ok? I guess.
If the water got in, and the car wasn't driven, you could be ok with a good flush. water itself isn't reallt going to hurt the trans.
If it's driven like that it could, but still make for a good rebuild core.

If you get the motor, and want to sell it, let me know. I can always use a spare.

No fair Bob!!! You beat me to it!!! I'm also trying to track down a reasonably priced spare 1UZ!

We need an East Coast, boosted SC4!!!
Old 03-07-06, 06:13 AM
tarq3
Driver

Originally Posted by madlooper
Hey guys thanks for the replys and to answer some of the questions reguarding the tanny ...
To put it plane and simple once it warms up ( all of about 5min) unless its cold outside then a bit longer it just will not enguage in gear. It doesnt matter what gear I put it in L, S, D or R the car will creap and lung forward slowly. Now when its cold right after start up it seems fine you can go in any gear but once it warms up its not gonna move much ...

rdm20fan ... Thanks for the tips on the rebuild kit that may be something to look into. Iam not quite that experienced to tackel a tranny but some of my friends are and with that info and some presistance I may be able to talk them into doing it on a weekend . Is there any other parts or tools that will be needed to make things go smoothly that I need to invest in . With it poss. being a weekend job and some parts are hard to find any info on that would be a big help and greatly appreciated ...

So 1950.00 doesnt seem high ? humm ok

Well thanks again guys ..
Madlooper

This is exactly what is haPPening to my 93 SC400. I have 255k on it and when ever the car warms up the gears start slippin or just don't engage at all. At first i thought the gears were bad but once i realized i that if i let the car sit for about 5min it would run fine till it wamred up then i figured it could not be the gears as starting and stoping would not fix or repair bad gears.
Does anyone have any experience with this or know what my cause it. FYI i already bought a TransmiSSion out of a 92 SC but have yet to get it put it i kinda want to keep my cuRRent traNNy if anyone knows what my caue this problem.

Thanks