Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

twin turbo Soarer GT to SC300 engine swap possibility

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-02, 04:58 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you use www.Car-Part.com i think you can dig up a supra front cut from your area of the country (if you're US) and if you use phil's manual:

http://www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt

you should be able to do the 2JZ-GTE engine swap a *bit* cheaper Powerhouse.

I found a tranny, wiring harness, ECU, and Engine on ebay for $2,300 US that was Ebay.

It might be a bit more expensive, but with the right tools a 2JZ-GTE engine swap could be done for much less than $22,000 USD.

Just a thought.
Old 02-06-02, 07:41 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I'd do the turbo kit, use stock ecu, no major wiring or relocation of the ECU and other junk...

The 2jz is the more logical choice for here in the states because the come with it here; and there's just as much room

And yes the 1jz is a more rev happy engine; more akin to the Skyline's RB26DETT in the GTR. Low stroke and high bore.

the 1jz is basically a 2jz with a shorter stroke; i even think they may use the same pistons. Although the 1jz will sound better than a 2jz. smaller motors just sound better; especially a small I6. Anyone ever hear a RB20DET before? a 2.0L I6
Old 02-10-02, 09:46 AM
MatT3T4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am seriously considering doing the 1JZ-GTE swap into my SC300...

I don't know though...yesterday, my sponsor told me about someone they know who does the 2JZ-GTE-to-SC300 swap for $7,500 parts & labor!!! (motor, ECU, harness, hardware, installed)...That is incredible...so I will look into it deeper, and if it is true, then that's a whole new ball game.
Old 02-10-02, 06:56 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It's all up you, it's your car

Yes I've heard an RB20DET in an R32 Skyline... very nice sounding machine!! But it just doesn't purr like our cars, which make our cars all the more better
MrWiggles, if you really wanna do a 2JZ conversion I'd source a US-Spec engine. Even though some people say that the JDM 2JZ may have more power potential (i've seen an 800hp 2Jz... very wicked!!), they are riddled with electronics (not problems, just electronics!!). For example, on the 1JZ that my Soarer had, they have a load of manufacturer baddies, such as a 180km/h speed limiter, 1.0bar boost limiter, fuel cut etc etc, and the ECU is COMPLETELY LOCKED, so you'll need a new ECU if you're planning many performance mods. Don't just stick to the stock ECU either, otherwise your tuning may be out of whack. Someone in Australia had the 2JZ conversion done in his Soarer (even though it was a twin turbo already), and he needed an A'PEXi Power FC ECU as well as a 7M-GTE (old 3.0 turbo from the MA70 Supra) ECU/gearbox ECU (or something) to control the automatic transmission behaviour. So while the 2JZ would be a great swap, it may be a major headache best avoided... it's upto you though
Old 02-10-02, 11:06 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2jz swap is hardly a headache. 1jz in the US? Now THAT's a headache. How do I know? Because one of my customers has a 1jz. He blew his HG and had a VERY difficult time getting parts from Toyota. Either turbo the 2jz-ge or do the 2jz-gte swap.

PS. My customer is converting to a 2jz-gte.
Old 02-11-02, 06:55 PM
Xerxes
Driver School Candidate

There's a guy who frequents supraforums (and I assume he's on here?) that owns two japanese RHD soarers.. You may want to try to find him and find out what kind of advice he can give you..

-Xerxes
Old 02-12-02, 12:56 AM
trebien
Driver

It seems like $22K would be a little high for a GTE swap, considering you can get the whole car (Supra TT) for under that.

Realize that a lot of that price is swapping the 6 speed tranny, since you have to use a custom driveshaft and the whole rear end from the Supra as well to fit into the longer SC300.

For around 400RWHP, just go for the turbo kit on your current 2jz-ge - they have been shown to be able to produce some major power. I don't really see why you would need to go with a GTE swap unless you are really anticipating serious upgrades later on.

And again, the SC300 may not be the best car or most efficient way to acheive your goal if cost is such a concern...

That $22K would get you a used Supra that could get the power with $1500 of bpu upgrades.
Old 02-12-02, 02:50 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hello...

SC300TT, I thought the 2JZ swap was a bit of a pain? Some guy had it done to his Soarer and said it was pretty much a ***** to get into the Soarer engine bay (doing a swap from a 1JZ to a 2JZ), with bad-*** single turbo kit etc etc. The 1JZ was stock under the JDM Soarer, so wouldn't it be a simpler swap for an SC300?

I dunno... still, it'd be nice to have a 2JZ under the hood wouldn't it
Old 02-12-02, 08:58 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Default Re: Hello...

Originally posted by JoRuLE
SC300TT, I thought the 2JZ swap was a bit of a pain? Some guy had it done to his Soarer and said it was pretty much a ***** to get into the Soarer engine bay (doing a swap from a 1JZ to a 2JZ), with bad-*** single turbo kit etc etc. The 1JZ was stock under the JDM Soarer, so wouldn't it be a simpler swap for an SC300?

I dunno... still, it'd be nice to have a 2JZ under the hood wouldn't it
No, getting the engine in is the easiest damn part of the swap, at least in the 2jz-ge to 2jz-gte swap. It's the electronics that are a little trickier, but even that is not too bad if you know what your doing.

I can do a swap for a lot less than $22k. I think Jarret put that on his site to discourage all the dreamers who were calling.
Old 02-12-02, 09:16 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Now you've got me thinking, instead of picking up an SC3 to turbo, how much more work would be involved in swapping a 2JZ-GTE into my 1UZ car as opposed to a 2JZ-GE car. Obviously the management and ignition are all different, but with the GTE being distributorless you'd have to change all that anyway. So i'm thinking just the mounts and exhaust front section would be the biggest obstacles, assuming you're swapping the entire harness and ECU anyway. Any thoughts?
Old 05-11-03, 10:07 PM
SDJZZ31
Rookie

The 1JZ is a great motor, it came only in Japan in the MK3 Supra & the Soarer. One downside to the motor is it dosen't have any smog equipment, it dosen't even have an egr port. The motor was never sold in the US so it is impossible to get it smogged and parts can't be reached overnight. My friend is swapping a 2JZ into his Mk3 supra and it took a few months to get a 1JZ bellhousing & motor brackets. The swap wouldn't be two hard since it was offered in the Soarer. The wiring harness would have to be lengthed because it was made for right hand drive. I don't know what other mods would be needed.
Old 05-11-03, 11:28 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

SC300TT, you made the comment the swap isn't that hard if you know what you are doing.. Im just curious but how long does it take you to do the swap... Running SC300 to Running Sc300TT... Let say you were using the stock 5 speed and all stock equipment (stock turbos, ecu downpipe etc...) Just curious..
Old 05-15-03, 03:56 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

*sigh*
http://www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt

Phil says that he could do it in about two weeks now that he knows what the heck is going on.

But what's the point in swapping out the whole block and only ending up with 450 horsies at best?

put on a turbo kit and you'll be stomping on BPU Supras...

john
Old 05-15-03, 08:11 PM
Soarer007
Rookie

my JDM 1Jz has been a great motor pushing upwards
around 500 hp...no complaints when dusting alot of Supras or a VIper or 2......
Old 02-13-04, 08:13 PM
scourge
Driver School Candidate

Just where do you source a 1JZ in the US? I have my own contacts back in Japan but I don't recall ever seeing on on EBAY and all the major engine importers I am currently aware of deal mainly in Honda and Nissan SR20DET engines.

Quick Reply: twin turbo Soarer GT to SC300 engine swap possibility