Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

twin turbo Soarer GT to SC300 engine swap possibility

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-04, 11:27 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put on a turbo kit and you'll be stomping on BPU Supras...
NA-T will stomp on BPU supras?

i thought most NA turbo kits made 350ish to the wheels, with the more high end ones around 450?

Thats just about where a BPU supra would be at, that's also lighter than the SC3
Old 02-19-04, 06:44 AM
europaUO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couldnt u use supra parts for it? since the only difference, almost is the displacement,

1jz= 2.5
2jz=3.0
Old 02-19-04, 10:27 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

not necessarilly.... what will and won't work is best left for someone else to answer
Old 02-19-04, 04:21 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Im new to these forums but i have the swap done with ECU and everything... just dyno'd it at school today, look at the numbers in my sig. I'll have pix up soon in the pix thread
Old 02-19-04, 09:07 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1jz

I think you'll find the engine to be pretty similar to the 2jz as far as external dimensions. To interface to your SC300, you'll need to get a US Supra harness and ECU, with simple connector mods it will work fine with the 1jz... long as it gets spark and fuel, it doesn't know it's a Japanese engine!

I don't like to diss anyone, but I feel obligated to express that my experience with Toysports has been very dissatisfying, as has others I've talked to. A real glitzy promise-the-moon website, but when you get down to the transaction, lots of mis-shipments, delays, mis-information, and disappointments.

Best of luck!
Old 02-19-04, 09:19 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

got_trd.... how much did everythign run ya?

how's it drive?

and which transmission are you running? rear end?
Old 02-20-04, 10:01 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

got_trd.... how much did everythign run ya?
I bought the car with the swap already done for 9500. It has the whole 1JZ drivetrain and factory lsd
Old 02-20-04, 11:04 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

and do all of your lexus luxuries still function properly?

thats really good price
Old 02-20-04, 02:13 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

still have a/c, sunroof works fine, tilt steering wheel still works (JDM soarer), cruise control works, power seats work, etc etc... i will have pix soon...
Old 02-20-04, 04:13 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

i'm leaning more and more towards this swap now... its much cheaper...

so hows it drive?
Old 03-10-04, 08:55 PM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by got_trd
I bought the car with the swap already done for 9500. It has the whole 1JZ drivetrain and factory lsd
Did you buy this on Ebay perhaps, in Florida? Have you posted pics yet?
Old 03-11-04, 06:09 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Did you buy this on Ebay perhaps, in Florida? Have you posted pics yet?
I found it on autotrader, but from my understanding, i think it was on ebay. I was browsing the for sale thread and saw a soarer steering wheel cover for sale and there was a pic of my interior.and they said they got the pic from ebay. Would you or anyone have more pix or info on the car?
Old 03-12-04, 10:36 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Now that I think of it, the one that was for sale was a manual.
Old 03-16-04, 07:32 PM
SupraBlur
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by sc300tt
The 2jz swap is hardly a headache. 1jz in the US? Now THAT's a headache. How do I know? Because one of my customers has a 1jz. He blew his HG and had a VERY difficult time getting parts from Toyota. Either turbo the 2jz-ge or do the 2jz-gte swap.

PS. My customer is converting to a 2jz-gte.
Sorry I know this is a late respons, but I had to jump on the board here. The 2JZ head gasket is the same, as are the bolts/studs. There is no reason to have trouble getting these parts as I replaced mine within the span of 3 days including sourcing the parts from Whittier Toyota and ordering the ARP stud kit.

About 80% of 1JZ-GTE parts are compatible with 2JZ-GTE, especially on the Soarer. The 3rd gen Supra is another story just because it uses a hydraulic fan setup, but with the Soarer, everything from the water pump, alternator, power steering lines, throttle cables, etc etc are either directly compatible or can fit with only mild modification.

-Ray
Old 03-16-04, 07:40 PM
SupraBlur
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: 1jz

Originally posted by philauldridge
I think you'll find the engine to be pretty similar to the 2jz as far as external dimensions. To interface to your SC300, you'll need to get a US Supra harness and ECU, with simple connector mods it will work fine with the 1jz... long as it gets spark and fuel, it doesn't know it's a Japanese engine!

Best of luck!
Slight modifications have to be done to the harness in order for it to run properly for two main reasons. 1) the 1JZ-GTE uses a MAP sensor ONLY, instead of the US 2JZ which uses both a MAP and AFM. 2) the generation of 1JZ that is used in the Soarer has batch fire injection whereas the 2JZ is fully independent.

To add my opinion to this thread, I love the 1JZ-GTE far far far FAR more than the 2JZ-GTE. It is a smoother revving engine all the way to its stock 7250 rev limiter. With upgraded bottom end fasteners, you can get it to 8000 rpm easily, and with mild intake and exhaust, it will make power all the way there. The CT12A turbos it uses can be upgraded with HKS 2530's for a mild upgrade or even the awesome HKS 2835's for totally overwhelming power. Those are just examples. As stated before, it is a very popular engine, and there are more upgrade paths than I can mention. I would consider the power potential to be the same as the 2JZ, and there are twin plate clutches from HKS and TRD that can hold 1500 rwhp. You can mate this engine to an A340e, W58, R154, V160, or anything else that a 2JZ will also mate up to since their bellhousings are compatible.

The only reason I would ever recommend the 2JZ over the 1JZ is that it has more low end power (sacrificing the linear powerband of the 1JZ) and that if you're planning on leaving it mostly stock, it has slightly more power.

Here's an eye opener. Friend of mine is using a Soarer 1JZ-GTE and ECU in his Supra. With only an HKS air filter, HKS exhaust, and HKS downpipe, he dynoed 296 rwhp. That's more than your average 2JZ-GTE with equal mods, and this done on a drivetrain and transmission that are 12 years old. The newsflash is that the 280 bhp that is posted is an UNDERRATED horsepower, just like many of the Japanese engines such as the 4G63 in the Lancer, the RB26DETT in the Skyline, and the VG30DETT in the 300ZX. It's no coincidence that they are all rated at 280... they are intentionally underrated to avoid smog laws.

More realistically the 1JZ-GTE makes roughly 320 bhp just like the 2JZ-GTE, but less torque since it is a smaller displacement motor.

-Ray

Last edited by SupraBlur; 03-16-04 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: twin turbo Soarer GT to SC300 engine swap possibility