Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

funky comp test #'s...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 08:06 PM
ted17
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car runs a alot better man, i cant tell if im losing coolant but i know that the smell is from burning coolant, had some friends drop by and when they smelt it they know right away. I seem to be losing more oil then coolant soo i dont know I added about a QT of oil and about 1/2 that for coolant.. When i 1st start the car know i can smell the coolant but after it idles for 3 or 4 mins i can smell a burnt smell coming from the engine bay what i can tell what it is.

hey Supra Dr do you think the reason why the last cylinder is lower is because of the valve cover leak is right by the firewall? I did find a lot more oil on that plug then the others. Do you think i should just get a new hg just to be safe? or just fix the valve cover gasket and boost? lol

Last edited by ted17; 01-10-06 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-12-06, 05:59 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

hey ted,

1st, i think the underhood burning is probably burning oil from the valve cover leak.
a leaking valve cover wont lower your compression.

i'm hoping the lower compression on #6 is the headgasket. not only if the sealing ring
is cracked lowering the #, but coolant can wash down the rings & also lower the # more.

replacing the HG is pretty much a given before you add boost. so while the heads off
you should have it cleaned up, checked/ resurfaced & magnafluxed for cracks. (doubt
theres a problem w/ it) maybe a valve job w/ new valve seals. if you give them the
cams & bearing caps they can adjust the valves. valve adjustment when back on the car
is much more af a PIA. also there's 3 - 17mm (?) casting plugs in line w/ the spark plugs.
take those out & reseal them w/ liquid teflon thread sealant. the casting plugs can leak
oil too & fill up the spark plug tubes w/ oil like a valve cover leak.

@ this point i guess your going to need to pull it apart & see how it plays out. usually
the old gasket will provide all the missing answers. need to do it anyway so you can
play w/ that shiney new turbo you got!!
Old 01-12-06, 06:17 PM
ted17
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess i need to find a shop around here that will do all this work for me. I dont think I myself would be capable of pulling it off hahah.

Anyone know of any shops around NOVA/DC/MD that could do all this?
Old 01-12-06, 06:24 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtylude
a bad head gasket has very little to do with compression numbers.
I'll just mention that when I blew the head gasket in my MR2 (4-AGE engine) , it was caused by a cracked exhaust manifold and the head gasket failed between cylinders #3 and #4. This produced compression munbers of about 65 in each of these cylinders.

That being said, I don't think yours is a head gasket issue. Maybe is seeps a little, but it doesn't sound "blown."