Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission (auto) growl/whine on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-06, 03:19 PM
john_sc400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the risk of repeating myself, the mount looked just fine when still installed in the car. You can only see the difference with it removed and sitting next to a new one.

Yes, it's still just fine. Quiet like a Lex should be. Cheap fix. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done it myself.
Old 04-01-06, 11:35 PM
tttp5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input and reviews to everyone that has done the trans mount fix .

i need to get mine replaced soon too! wish my dayjob wasn't so busy.
Old 06-21-06, 12:09 AM
tttp5
Pole Position

so i got a new transmission mount and replaced the old one. my mechanic friend took about 15mins to install it.

afterwards i took it out for a test drive.

OMG!!!! what a difference it made!.
here is what i observed before and after the replacement:

before- you can feel the car tremble while reving the car at Neutral. after- no more trembling while reving at neutral

before- howling noise described above was very noticeable while almost coming to a complete stop. after- noise is no longer there anymore

before- there would be a very faint clunking sound while letting your foot lightly off the gas at speeds below 40mph. after- noise gone.

for a 70$ part that fixes so many problems this was a great deal! thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-27-06, 07:41 PM
cip
Pole Position

Default Fixed mine, too

Well yee-haw changing the trans mount on my '96 fixed my 'clunk when letting off gas', too!!!

You can see why...the old trans mount outer dimensions (steel|rubber|steel) were 1 3/4", the new mount was 2" (I didn't have my digital camera handy, but there are other pic's of the mount .. you'll see what I mean). Clearly that 1/4" of play is too much!!

Also... talk about smooth shifts!! I knew I should not be feeling the shifts as much as I have... So for $49 @ Sewell Lexus -vs- $900+ (for driveshaft per my dealer - see post #23 above) and it took less than an hour.... ugh...I wish I would have made the time to do this sooner.

Also, not for me but the next person that does this fix, anyone have torque specs on the mount to trans (4- 12mm), crossmember to frame (4-14mm), and mount to crossmember (4- 12mm) bolts??

Thanks!!
Old 09-13-09, 01:29 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah yeah I know this is a very old thread, but here's a description of my symptoms for anyone researching this issue and seeing this thread.

On my car, it was a droning, moaning or growling noise only upon deceleration, and most pronounced between 65 to 55 mph - that's faster than most are reporting on this thread.

It really did not cause any noise at other speeds except one evening in stop and go traffic, where I was hearing strange undercarraige whirring sounds at almost all speeds.
But it went away after that and except for that one day it only appeared when going down from 65 to 55.

As the rubber in the rear transmission mount breaks down, two things happen- the upper and lower metal plates of the mount begin to make contact, and the angle of the driveshaft changes.

Those two conditions combined to make my noise, and it went away as soon as I installed a new mount.
Here's a pic, showing the 1/2" drop between old and new:
Attached Thumbnails Transmission (auto) growl/whine on deceleration-mount-003a.jpg  
Old 01-08-11, 07:31 AM
dmercer77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by john_sc400
At the risk of repeating myself, the mount looked just fine when still installed in the car. You can only see the difference with it removed and sitting next to a new one.

Yes, it's still just fine. Quiet like a Lex should be. Cheap fix. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done it myself.
I had the same issue - a sort of growling whine like an electric motor stopping when slowing to a stop or in slow - sub 15 mph traffic.

Just had the mount changed by a local spanners outfit - 15-20 mins and drove off to the sound of (almost) total silence - it's a 16 yo car so I can't expect total silence.

There was also a noise at around 70 mph plus. I haven't been able to check out if this has gone too but since they were broadly similar in nature, I hope so. (15/01/2011 edit - it did, now motorway journeys are even quieter).

The old mount looked nearly perfect on the car, and only seems a little worn once examined. It's an amazing change with such a simple fix.

Part was £60 from Toyota, £20 to fit.

Last edited by dmercer77; 01-15-11 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Added extra info
Old 01-16-11, 02:34 PM
bcsc400
Pole Position

Replaced the trans mount on my car.
Same experience as above.
WOW!!!!!!!