Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fastest 1/4 mile time - SC400 only

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 08:34 AM
Punky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Went to Darlington dragway in South Carolina last night. Conditions less than perfect. About 66 degrees and VERY humid. I could feel the moisture in the air. So I think the track was a bit wet not to mention the air density. LOL.

Anyway, best run -

RT - .121
60 - 1.872 (only half way descent 60 I got all night)
330 - 5.386
1/8 - 8.208 @ 87.26
1000 - 0.0 (not listed for some reason)
1/4 - 12.685 @ 110.67

This is very good considering the damp air and track. I had a can of octane boost that I forgot to put in. My runs steadily got worse after that run, crappy 60fts and lower mph's.

If I could have only managed to hit that 1.8 60ft again. Oh well. I still think I could run (very) high 11's with some good air and a good set of sticky tires.

I have some in car video I'm going to upload a bit later BTW.

KC
Wow man it seems every time I read this thread you get quicker and quicker. I hope to see you in 11s soon. I would love to see your car run with some cams in it

I have new mods brewing as well that I hope can bring me around a nice time. I doubt I will get to the drag strip very often though.
Old 12-19-08, 06:06 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone!

I am happy with the time...BUT, I know I can still do better. I know, I'm obsessed. The 1/8 time on that run is still two tenths slower than my best at the 1/8 track.

I hadn't mentioned this but my driver's side header collector gasket blew out on me. I think that was the main cause of my dropping et's and mph's that night. I was running very rich, even bogging down on the start. I fixed it, hopefully for the last time today.

So, as promised, here is an in car video. I didn't have anyone with me to take some outside vids, maybe next time. I'm about 90% sure this was the 12.68 run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P3ee2N6tSs

Enjoy!

KC
Old 12-20-08, 07:19 AM
Punky
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone!

I am happy with the time...BUT, I know I can still do better. I know, I'm obsessed. The 1/8 time on that run is still two tenths slower than my best at the 1/8 track.

I hadn't mentioned this but my driver's side header collector gasket blew out on me. I think that was the main cause of my dropping et's and mph's that night. I was running very rich, even bogging down on the start. I fixed it, hopefully for the last time today.

So, as promised, here is an in car video. I didn't have anyone with me to take some outside vids, maybe next time. I'm about 90% sure this was the 12.68 run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P3ee2N6tSs

Enjoy!

KC
Is it just me or did you hit rev limiter on 1st gear? What transmission mods do you have also?
Old 12-20-08, 02:01 PM
KSC400
Driver School Candidate

14.6 96 lexus k&n filter and muffler delete nitto 450s
Old 12-20-08, 03:18 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Went to Darlington dragway in South Carolina last night. Conditions less than perfect. About 66 degrees and VERY humid. I could feel the moisture in the air. So I think the track was a bit wet not to mention the air density. LOL.

Anyway, best run -

RT - .121
60 - 1.872 (only half way descent 60 I got all night)
330 - 5.386
1/8 - 8.208 @ 87.26
1000 - 0.0 (not listed for some reason)
1/4 - 12.685 @ 110.67

This is very good considering the damp air and track. I had a can of octane boost that I forgot to put in. My runs steadily got worse after that run, crappy 60fts and lower mph's.

If I could have only managed to hit that 1.8 60ft again. Oh well. I still think I could run (very) high 11's with some good air and a good set of sticky tires.

I have some in car video I'm going to upload a bit later BTW.

KC
Great Run. That motor sounds Mean ! That setup just keeps working better and better.

Couple of questions.

1. Will the piggyback ecu your running let you change the factory set rev limiter rpm point ? If so you could move it up let say 500rpm's. Not change the factory transmission shift points, and then the trans would have a chance to shift without the rev limiter kicking in.

I know you are well ahead of thinking on this one, i'm just curious about what your thoughts are. If you put in those cams how were you gonna move the limiter up ? I am partial to Unichip Piggybacdk ECU and I think it can do it. I am also impressed with the MAFTpro and talked to them at length a couple of years ago. Gussing the MAFTpro can do it to.

BTW - I've got a 430 VVTI 3UZ being built, and stroked right now thats going in my new 99SC4, with a large Direct Port NO2 progressive shot kit. Darlington will be my main test track. I love/hate that track. If you can run fast there, you can run faster anywhere else.

If not for, the revlimit hit and, damp air and track. I know you had a potential 11.xx run. You'll be .20 to .30 sec faster at any other track. Great work !
Old 12-20-08, 09:27 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Punky
Is it just me or did you hit rev limiter on 1st gear? What transmission mods do you have also?
Yes it is, but I assure you, it is better than it was with the original trans. The transmission is my second one. It's a 96 trans with shimmed accumulators, disabled no 4 solenoid, and raised line pressure.

Originally Posted by jgscott
Great Run. That motor sounds Mean ! That setup just keeps working better and better.
Thanks. I have definately made some progress. I still can remember running high 9's in the 1/8.

Will the piggyback ecu your running let you change the factory set rev limiter rpm point ? If so you could move it up let say 500rpm's. Not change the factory transmission shift points, and then the trans would have a chance to shift without the rev limiter kicking in.

I know you are well ahead of thinking on this one, i'm just curious about what your thoughts are. If you put in those cams how were you gonna move the limiter up ? I am partial to Unichip Piggybacdk ECU and I think it can do it. I am also impressed with the MAFTpro and talked to them at length a couple of years ago. Gussing the MAFTpro can do it to.
I don't think I can raise the limiter with the MAFTPro, but that is something definately worth looking into.

Also, the ECU uses the signal from the no 2 speed sensor to determine when to shift, not RPM. Might be possible to use a signal modifier to make the ECU think the car is going a little faster than it really is.

I think that the rev limit problem can only be fixed by either installing a real shift kit (modified VB), TCU or by raising the rev limit (or the speed sensor idea). With this newer trans, I really think it just takes too long for the trans to shift. It does not feel like anything is slipping. It bounces once or twice and then second hits rather hard.

My biggest problem now? I can't afford a shift kit, TCU, cams, slicks, NOS, ect. Sigh.

BTW - I've got a 430 VVTI 3UZ being built, and stroked right now thats going in my new 99SC4, with a large Direct Port NO2 progressive shot kit. Darlington will be my main test track. I love/hate that track. If you can run fast there, you can run faster anywhere else.
Wow, that sounds awesome! I will definately have to meet you at Darlington sometime. I had a very bad first impression of the track but after this second time, I like it a bit more.

BTW, time slip scans. Three best runs. Then my collector gasket blew and I slowed down quite a bit due to very rich AFR's. Was bogging off the line.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Fastest 1/4 mile time - SC400 only-darlington.jpg  
Old 12-20-08, 09:49 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yes it is, but I assure you, it is better than it was with the original trans. The transmission is my second one. It's a 96 trans with shimmed accumulators, disabled no 4 solenoid, and raised line pressure.

Thanks. I have definately made some progress. I still can remember running high 9's in the 1/8.

I don't think I can raise the limiter with the MAFTPro, but that is something definately worth looking into.

Also, the ECU uses the signal from the no 2 speed sensor to determine when to shift, not RPM. Might be possible to use a signal modifier to make the ECU think the car is going a little faster than it really is.

I think that the rev limit problem can only be fixed by either installing a real shift kit (modified VB), TCU or by raising the rev limit (or the speed sensor idea). With this newer trans, I really think it just takes too long for the trans to shift. It does not feel like anything is slipping. It bounces once or twice and then second hits rather hard.

My biggest problem now? I can't afford a shift kit, TCU, cams, slicks, NOS, ect. Sigh.

KC
Ok I did kinda say 2 different things but..... My main thought/point was if you can raise the revlimter then the Trans shift points are still gonna be the same. The trans should stiill shift at its points or higher even if its taking longer, but.... it won't hit the Rev limiter and kill the engine revs.

I think I remember Unichip telling me they just would have to find that line in the stock ecu, to change the revlimiter. I'm pertty sure MAFTpro can do it.

Did'nt you play around with the throttle position sensor after you put in the new tranny ? Did you set it back to the original position ? Could it be that's why it's taken longer to shift.
Old 12-22-08, 08:47 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I did kinda say 2 different things but..... My main thought/point was if you can raise the revlimter then the Trans shift points are still gonna be the same. The trans should stiill shift at its points or higher even if its taking longer, but.... it won't hit the Rev limiter and kill the engine revs.
I understand what you were saying. And that would likely work.

I think I remember Unichip telling me they just would have to find that line in the stock ecu, to change the revlimiter. I'm pertty sure MAFTpro can do it.
No, the MAFTPro cannot do it, I asked. It might be able to modify the speed sensor ciruit. The idea here would be to make the ECU think the car is going slightly faster than it really is causing it to command the shift sooner.

Did'nt you play around with the throttle position sensor after you put in the new tranny ? Did you set it back to the original position ? Could it be that's why it's taken longer to shift.
Yes I did play around with the position sensor. I don't think it affects WOT. I did notice a change in part throttle shifting. It's not really worth messing with IMO. I played with it a bit and it didn't fix anything, also, it can have negative affects on the TQ lockup.

KC
Old 12-24-08, 05:35 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Very nice KC!!!!
:-)
Old 12-25-08, 05:22 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
Very nice KC!!!!
:-)
Thanks!

More to come... I'm very close to purchasing a set of Hoosier et quick time's. Then I should be able to see what the car can really do.

BTW, hope to get onto Pinks All Out coming April!

KC
Old 12-26-08, 01:15 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Thanks!

More to come... I'm very close to purchasing a set of Hoosier et quick time's. Then I should be able to see what the car can really do.

BTW, hope to get onto Pinks All Out coming April!

KC
Next post Reads " Went to X track. Ran a 11.xx ! ".

No pressure.

Those mods are straight flying !
Old 12-26-08, 12:38 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

KC,
Do you have the LSD installed? With the new wider rear tires that I have, I notice the passenger rear tire tries to grip the ground more than the driver side. The symptom is it rubs the fender when under boost.
Old 12-26-08, 04:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stevechumo
KC,
Do you have the LSD installed? With the new wider rear tires that I have, I notice the passenger rear tire tries to grip the ground more than the driver side. The symptom is it rubs the fender when under boost.
Steve when are you gonna do a dyno and/or a track run on your turbo set up ?
Old 12-26-08, 05:57 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Steve when are you gonna do a dyno and/or a track run on your turbo set up ?
I still have to fix the leaked coolant from the heads, then I'll put in bigger injectors and ECU and have it tuned. Just in case if you didn't know what happened to my car recently, I just finished rebuilding the newer JDM engine for safer boost and put it in my SC. Currently, I only run 6 psi, backed from the last setup at 9 psi. I'll post the dyno result when it's ready. I can't wait for that.
Old 12-26-08, 06:26 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Next post Reads " Went to X track. Ran a 11.xx ! ".

No pressure.

Those mods are straight flying !
We can hope so!

Originally Posted by stevechumo
KC, Do you have the LSD installed? With the new wider rear tires that I have, I notice the passenger rear tire tries to grip the ground more than the driver side. The symptom is it rubs the fender when under boost.
Yes, I have a Supra Torsen LSD. You sure you don't have a bad shock?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I am the proud new owner of a set of Hoosier Quicktime pro's. They are 26 x 9.5 x 15. The only bad thing......the guy was advertising them with wheels, which were supposed to have a 4.5 x 5 bolt pattern. Well he was mistaken, they are 4.75 x 5. So, I'm on a hunt for some wheels.

Also, it has been a while since I've had any real driveability issues, but I have one now. For some reason, I'm going lean right at the point where I go from vac to boost (95-100 kpa or so), mid load. I think for some reason, the ECU is staying in closed loop longer than it was before. I think I'm actually going very rich and then the ECU is leaning me out and over compenstaing. I'm fairly sure it's just a tuning issue that I'll figure out. It's fine under WOT / full boost, fine under light throttle, just a little funky with mid throttle / load.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Fastest 1/4 mile time - SC400 only-img_0134.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fastest 1/4 mile time - SC400 only