Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fastest 1/4 mile time - SC400 only

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 07:34 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo Teg,

Do you think you can get any more pictures of the CF hood the soarer was using? Ive been looking around for a car with that hood on for a long time to see what it looks like. Did it appear to fit well? What did you think about it in person?

Your car should be a lot faster in the 1/4, your 60' KILLS you. I put down 217rwhp and i did a 14.7, so go back to the track, and deflate those tires man. good luck!

Thanks,
Nick
Old 07-18-06, 12:36 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Originally Posted by xirforever
Turbo Teg,

Do you think you can get any more pictures of the CF hood the soarer was using? Ive been looking around for a car with that hood on for a long time to see what it looks like. Did it appear to fit well? What did you think about it in person?

Your car should be a lot faster in the 1/4, your 60' KILLS you. I put down 217rwhp and i did a 14.7, so go back to the track, and deflate those tires man. good luck!

Thanks,
Nick
XIr - Tegs times are slow because his car is slow from a dead start with the stock torque converter, and stock open end differential, tires, etc..... Even with nos I don't think the stock converter will launch the car from a dead stop....I would bet one second is lost from the take off...and then once the nos kicks the one tire breaks loose and more traction and speed is lost.... Just my take based on his mods.... ( The power is their with 300+ whp)
Old 07-18-06, 02:43 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jibbby
XIr - Tegs times are slow because his car is slow from a dead start with the stock torque converter, and stock open end differential, tires, etc..... Even with nos I don't think the stock converter will launch the car from a dead stop....I would bet one second is lost from the take off...and then once the nos kicks the one tire breaks loose and more traction and speed is lost.... Just my take based on his mods.... ( The power is their with 300+ whp)
An aftermarket torque converter will do him no good right now. He's spinning through the 60ft and anything with a higher stall will be worse.

He needs drag radials, lsd, or a progressive nitrous controller.
Old 07-18-06, 03:43 PM
jibbby

Oh, I didn't think he was spinning at launch or is he?...If so traction is the culprit then and the torque converter is not......

I would love lo know if you can break loose with the stock converter trom a dead stop under the nos....... I understand the tires break loose when the stock converter kicks in with nos at what about 2000 rpm's or so...What about 0-2000 rpm's..What happens under the juice at low rpm's? ..That is the hinderance of the stock converter very little lowend response.... Does nos change that effect????? Anyone? I never new on my car because the Dragom torque converter came before my nos system....

60 foot burnouts doesn't necessarily mean the tires are breaking loose off the line...See my point?

Last edited by jibbby; 07-19-06 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-18-06, 05:05 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

From a dead stop I am ROASTING the tires with nitrous ! On my second run I couldn't hook up at all. Both wheel wells were covered in rubber after my runs haha The only way I could get traction was starting off the line slowly at 3/4 throttle. Only did the one clean run to do this.

Wow Xir. What was your trap speed at 14.7 ?

Werd Verylost. Even with drag radials I think a mid to high 13 is possible.

Jibby - I hope to see some results after you hit the track !
Old 07-19-06, 11:44 AM
jibbby

WOW teg, if you are roasting "tires" and not tire from a dead stop I would not even consider a torque converter upgrade..No point to increase the stall rate for lowend torque.....Got to love the power of NOS, WOW......... Nos even gets the stock converter kicking at low rpm's,, unbelieveable!!!!!...... Teg - If your roasing tires from launch bigtime with the stock converter you will probably be able to out perform even the Precision Dragon Torque converter on straights....Your track times don't line up with what is being said, but I believe you..... With the stock converter you are going to get better topend power then with an upgraded converter.. Powering up at launch like you say should allow you to run very impressive times I would think.. ..For example: .My car has a bit of a let off with the Dragon TC after 80mph or so even with NOS.... The only advantage of running an upgraded torque converter in your case would be launching your SC without nos....Mannnn, I may have wasted a $1000 or so on my D.T.C..... I can't even really hit the nos in my first gear or spin city happens...... Second gear still makes my fat rear tires break loose but not rediculously like 1st gear would.... This thread is starting to depress me......Later..... ....

Last edited by jibbby; 07-20-06 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-19-06, 05:47 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

so you are spinning like crazy as well in first gear with street tires ! You will need some drag radials too for the track. I guess even with LSD and a torque convertor, you still will have issues laying down a good time.

I may go and do some more runs at an airport here on Aug 12th. It's always very hot though and way above sea level so times might only improve a little. Usually 105-110 deg

I'm not sure if I'm going to invest in drag radials at this point as the car is just a daily cruiser. We'll see (I should mention my -3.5 deg camber is not helping anything either!)
Old 07-19-06, 06:17 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

hey, my trap speed was 98 i believe, but please leave a room for error as im 6,000 miles away from my time slips

You still didnt tell me about the hood

Negative camber is DEFF not your friend in the 1/4. If you just want to go back to the track and have some fun with some hope for better times, i was serious about deflating your tires, it works.
Old 07-19-06, 06:40 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TurboTeg

What body kit is that? That looks sweet!
Old 07-20-06, 12:07 PM
jibbby

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
so you are spinning like crazy as well in first gear with street tires ! You will need some drag radials too for the track. I guess even with LSD and a torque convertor, you still will have issues laying down a good time.

I may go and do some more runs at an airport here on Aug 12th. It's always very hot though and way above sea level so times might only improve a little. Usually 105-110 deg

I'm not sure if I'm going to invest in drag radials at this point as the car is just a daily cruiser. We'll see (I should mention my -3.5 deg camber is not helping anything either!)

OH YEAH, first gear from launch is just rediculous wicked, way too much lowend power while under the juice even with an LSD, lowered suspension, fat rear tires, no wheel hop eaither, etc..and still all that doesn't matter in my car... Both rear wheels bust loose, , RPM's race, and a pretty good smoke screen is left behind with NOS from launch everytime......... Drag radials would probably help and maybe a wheelie bar too (just incase)....Drag radials are not practical, My car is still a daily driver and an occasional street racer...Not a track car.......

For example: True story - Over a year ago with only half the mods I have on my car now, I had tried putting 600lbs or so worth of sand bags in my SC4 trunk just to see if I could keep both rear tires from spinning at launch under the juice.... What I got was a pop,pop,pop,pop,pop, sound really fast and the next thing I saw was my driver side rear tire fying down the street next ot me. I then road the right brake rotor to a stop...It was a really nice spark show atleast, and most importantly no one got hurt... All five spindle lug bolts broke off... The launch was really good, but I will never be trying that again.......

Adding weight is counterproductive anyway....I was really suprised that the driveshaft didn't break first over the lug bolts...I was using a thin spacer too that probably didn't help matters........Oh well, the bottom line is the rear ends on these SC's are painfully light in weight....Traction will always be a problem with nos and the non controlled ecceleration that comes with it... Once the activation of NOS is timed right however I do get the car moving very well..

Last edited by jibbby; 07-20-06 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-20-06, 12:14 PM
cambo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Psionic
yea what kit is that??
Old 07-20-06, 02:12 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Psionic
Most likely erebuni. I can't remember what kit it's a knock off from.

If you do buy an erebuni kit and the fitment sucks, please don't come back and complain.
Old 07-20-06, 09:50 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Sorry I forgot to include info on the hood. You can contact the owner of the Soarer Nathan at www.********************* or email: nsiy@*********************

I had my tires down to 30 or so. Probably could have gone lower

Erebuni lip, JIC sides and rear
Erebuni is knock off of the Exclusive kit. Fitment on the lip is not great.
Old 07-21-06, 07:08 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info Teg, i appreciate it

and you are right, you can go lower than 30, try 20
Old 07-21-06, 04:20 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

wow that is low ! I may just go and try again at 20 just for kicks. Racing is fun

no problem

Quick Reply: Fastest 1/4 mile time - SC400 only