Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 02:21 PM
carbophat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by romeo291
Dude, I was so sick of the clips popping off like that, I just ditched the clip, put the rod in the hole, and put a zip tie at the end of the rod and zip tied it tightly. this has been holding up for me for a while now. Cost about.....$0.02
Do you have any pics?
Old 10-14-09, 08:07 PM
FL1PP3D
Driver

Originally Posted by jjffyy
It was a PITA but i did manage to get it done this morning...this is how i did it
-take out the screw behind door lock and handle (you got to remove the plastic piece first to get to the screw)

- take out the two screws underneath the arm rest

- now it gets tricky, you gotta pull the door panel as far back so that you can get to the door internals (this part hurt me the most cuz i was scared of tearing my panel in half lol)

- now reach your arm to the door lock mechanism, feel for the rod and push down- this should get your door open.

good luck with your door hope all goes well
How'd you take off the plastic behind the lock? Just pry it off? Same with the door panel? I'd really hate to **** up my interior.
Old 12-21-09, 03:20 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well i thought my plastic door thing broke again but it didnt instead the whole metal piece that connects to the plastic thing broke what should i do?

Please! i need this fix asap or do i have to buy a new door..
Name:  IMG_1148.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  58.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1147.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  33.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1146.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  52.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1145.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  58.7 KB
Old 12-21-09, 05:59 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you have to replace the mechanism that the rod goes into, its 1 piece. Some people have rigged or welded in some way the rod so it works. I think someone on one of the earlier pages have gone over this.
Old 12-21-09, 10:29 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by b1ackhawk
I believe you have to replace the mechanism that the rod goes into, its 1 piece. Some people have rigged or welded in some way the rod so it works. I think someone on one of the earlier pages have gone over this.
Sweet, sorry i was panicking and frustrated tried to locate where it broke off. Just came back from a big bear trip also...

Time to get me some zipties
Old 01-10-10, 11:51 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know how to take out the door actuator?

Nevermind found it! searching ftw >.>

Last edited by abounly; 01-11-10 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-14-10, 01:56 PM
kj4unme
Rookie

Originally Posted by sc300jz

the same thing happen to mee... where did u find the other thread to fix the rod that came out?
Old 01-14-10, 03:31 PM
kj4unme
Rookie

never mind mind i got it fixed!!! THIS THREAD IS THE BEST!!!! so instead of using zip ties i clued the broken peace with monkey glue back to where it belongs and now it works perfect...
Old 01-14-10, 05:11 PM
rbigshow04
Rookie

Originally Posted by sc300jz

Where did you find it I need to fix mines too
Old 01-18-10, 02:44 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

I didn't actually take out the door actuator i decided to go with the zip tie technique.. I took me awhile every time i put it on works perfectly then once i bolt everything up the door wouldn't unlock did it about 5 times a REAL pita.. but in the end it is fixed

Here is a picture where i zip tied it.
Name:  IMG_5059.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  70.5 KB

MAKE sure you line up your metal piece correctly or else it will pop off and your door will NOT unlock which happened to me but i didn't close the door.. TEST as many times as you can, before closing your door..
Another tip try pushing the metal piece to the right and see if it will pop off, if it doesn't then congratulations you saved yourself 100-300$!
Old 01-18-10, 03:35 AM
platano47
Driver

thats bugged out i just changed mine this weekend. i had it off until i was able to order it and as i put the window down i bent the metal rod and almost broke my window, but im good, nothing was messed up
Old 01-21-10, 10:51 PM
scslapshot
5th Gear

Angry Door handles do not work

I wish I read these posts earlier. First my outside door handle did not work and when I put the window down it must have hit the rod and now the inside handle also will not work. Is there a way to take off part of the door panel or inside handle to get the door to open so I have access to the door panel screws? If not what is the best way to take the door panel off with out damaging it? Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-21-10, 11:12 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scslapshot
I wish I read these posts earlier. First my outside door handle did not work and when I put the window down it must have hit the rod and now the inside handle also will not work. Is there a way to take off part of the door panel or inside handle to get the door to open so I have access to the door panel screws? If not what is the best way to take the door panel off with out damaging it? Any help is appreciated.
I had something like this happen to me before, but all my bolts werent bolted in..
1. Take off the door handle cap and remove the screw
2. Get 2 screwdriver and shove them between your door panel and the actual door
3. Locate the actuator lines for the door and lock either pull the door line and pray it opens. Or if it fell off reattach it to the door latch.

Worked for me. I was sweating like crazy when i read if you couldn't open your door from the inside or out you gotta airsaw it
Old 01-28-10, 01:39 PM
rbigshow04
Rookie

I couldn't do it with the zip ties so i used gorilla glue so far its holding up pretty good but I'm still worried every time i pull that handel
Old 01-28-10, 02:28 PM
kj4unme
Rookie

Originally Posted by rbigshow04
I couldn't do it with the zip ties so i used gorilla glue so far its holding up pretty good but I'm still worried every time i pull that handel
believe me the gorilla glue is the toughest stuff out there so u should have no problem....

Quick Reply: So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics