Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No power steering after joy riding, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 07:50 AM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No power steering after joy riding, help please.

Ok, so while it was snowing the other day i took my 92' SC3 out for some drifting in the snow. Steering was working fine, i parked the car for an hour, went to leave for some groceries and no power steering. The steering felt a little jerky and when i turned it a bit i could hear the pump whining a bit while i took it to the supermarket and came back. I could also see the rpm gauge going up and down as i tried moving the steering a bit in park.

I let it sit for a day, and checked the psp fluid and noticed it was a bit low so i drive to autobarn and topped it off. But i noticed that the whine was gone and the rpms were'nt moving when i tried turning it side to side a bit in park.

Next day, i turn on engine and hear a little noise coming from the ps pump. Sounds like a bad bearing or something, but it isnt as loud. I noticed some bubbling at the top of the fluid and the fluid moves very little every 4secs or so. I tried draining it out and replacing the fluid yesterday, the ps fluid was very dark, but changing it didnt help at all.

Still no power steering, my dad says it might be the rack n pinion, but he doesnt know much about the steering system. Imma try and take it to a shop and see what they say, just wanted to get some input from you guys.. thanks..

Ko

p.s. - i already searched...
Old 03-06-06, 05:35 PM
KoSC300
Instructor

forgot to mention that when i replaced the ps fluid, i was getting suction from where the return hose connects to the reservoir. I would think this means that the ps pump is still functional, but maybe something is restricting it perhaps? no clue...

Went to a cheap shop and they just took a quick look and said my ps pump needs replacing. Quoted me $190 for a new pump and $100 for labor. Looks like imma have to pop out the tools in this freezing cold and take it off the parts car. Hopefully this works, if not... i'll be back!
Old 03-06-06, 09:14 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an extra PS pump assy if u need it. Are you going to DPA Fri? I'll take a look at ur problem.
Old 03-07-06, 04:25 AM
KoSC300
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
I have an extra PS pump assy if u need it. Are you going to DPA Fri? I'll take a look at ur problem.
Damn, sounds good, but i cant make it this friday, gotta head up to new paltz for some partying! If the weather is good friday afternoon imma try and swap out the pump with the one i have off of my parts car before i leave... hopefully that'll work, and if it doesnt, i'll be sure to bother you next friday Thanks for the offer...

Ko
Old 02-25-07, 06:14 PM
Djsenyi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing this thread back up because i have the same problem after I did a few donuts in the snow. Anybody figured this out yet? Is it the power steering pump? Did a search but still havent found an answer.