Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte swap SC400 Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 08:38 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You boosted bastards!!!! J/k....making me real jealous though

That engine looks good
Old 04-19-06, 11:31 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

You Trader !

Good luck, I have thought about this and if I had any sense I would have done this too but...... I still love the V8 SC. One day I may just buy a SC300 and turbo it and have both like many others.

Last edited by jgscott; 04-19-06 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-19-06, 02:35 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the compliment guys. I'll take more pics once the car is finish.
Old 04-19-06, 02:37 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
You Trader !

Good luck, I have thought about this and if I had any sense I would have done this too but...... I still love the V8 SC. One day I may just buy a SC300 and turbo it and have both like many others.

LOL the reason I swap it because I bought my LS4. So I have two V8 and I decieded to give up one to do a make over with more power. Thats not really betraying it right
Old 04-19-06, 02:41 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

james i cant wait until your car is done. we gotta take pics side by side, we gotta drive ea. other's car to feel the difference.....oh man...it will be awesome!!

if you need to hook up electronics, just let me know.....
Old 04-26-06, 08:57 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

She is done and running. All we need left is work out some minor bugs and tuning. The car runs a bit rich but other than that it's great. She pull real hard especially on second gear thanks to Lextreme modified Torque converter. Here are some pics. Enjoy

Old 04-27-06, 09:52 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FINALLY!!!! The Rock Is Back!!!! After all those engine issues... its finally done.... I am glad its running.
Old 04-29-06, 08:33 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

I cannot wait for you to post up a full detailed post about issues you ran into and what had to be changed as I am picking up a 400 next month if I cannot find a 300 I want, and a 2jz swap is already being put together for it.

BTW - Great work, and cannot wait to see some video/audio of the car.
Old 04-30-06, 12:44 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rpk2012
I cannot wait for you to post up a full detailed post about issues you ran into and what had to be changed as I am picking up a 400 next month if I cannot find a 300 I want, and a 2jz swap is already being put together for it.

BTW - Great work, and cannot wait to see some video/audio of the car.
If you want to do a swap get sc300. It's easier and less work to do then SC400. That is my advice.
Old 04-30-06, 01:11 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

I've been getting some PM from member who is interest in doing this swap. So i'm about to list all the parts from the top of my head that I've done in conversion.

1)2JZ-GTE Engine and Tranny auto.
2) Lextreme TC because I want to have more torque plus I was told that it would help my tranny hold extra HP once I go single.
3) I bought new wiring harness since I don't like old wires. You can use your old harness if its in good condition. Also my motor was ARISTO so I have to get supra harness and ECU.
3) I've change oil pan becuase the Aristo motor is front sump. You need rear sump from the SUPRA. If you can get a hold of a Supra motor then you dont need to change oil pan.
4) You need to change Engine mount and mount bracket to SC300 one. That would bolt right up.
5) Relocate your Power Stearing tank.
6) You dont have traction control no more.
7) Get down pipe and recommend to change exhuast too
8) Get SC300 coolant reserve tank
9) Drive shaft bolt right up to the auto tranny.
10) MSD Tach adapter for your Tach but its not acurate
11) Your Tempt guage won't work properly get a Resistor for it.
12) Upgrade to Walbro fuel pump
13) Redo timing belt water pump, cam seals, crank seals, and rear main seals
14) Check for bad pulleys and change them too
This is pretty much it if you want you stock conversion and that is all I can think of.

My extra BPU mods list so far
1) Koyo radiator
2) 3" down pipe
3) Dual Magnaflows Race series exhaust
4) Flex o light 12" electric fan. This save you alot of room.
5) 12" X 31" X 4" FMIC. It's a bit over kill. I got the intercooler for cheap that is why you dont really need it that big.
6) NGK 6097 cold spark plugs
7) Apex SAFC II for future single turbo upgrade plus it tell you very exact RPM level.
8) Stantless steel piping and a bunch of silicone hose
This is all for now.

With all this mods and stuff my swap cost me about 9k. This is a pretty good deal I think since I got a few good friends in this club who have help me out with advice and find deals on parts. I will post up soon a tutorial write up of the swap with pictures of every step. I document this process pretty well. I will also post up some video of my car sounds and runs.

Last edited by JamesN; 04-30-06 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-30-06, 11:33 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

ONE WORD JAMES ----- AWESOME!!!!!!!

You have come a long way with your sc400 since I remembered it before when I saw it in person several months ago, what a difference...You are using the flex dual electric fans like I am, they are a little noisy but they will work just fine in regards to cooling....Sensor reads are tricky with that fan, I used an alternative block heat sensor for each fan to go on at different temps, works great ...How is your stock ECU doing with all this? Did you have to go to a stand alone ECU? You must let me know when your car is compete and running in tune. We must meet and have a freindly little SC race between friends... Good job.......and very nice!!!!

PS.. James, just becareful not to exceed the HP capacitiy of your stock tranny. As you know David (LEX) wasted one or two stock trannies with his turbo'd sc and is now going with the TH400 tranny swap.... I am sure you are aware of that and know exactly what you are doing....I am getting ready to build up my stock SC tranny any day now as it has been a long time over due.....see ya

Last edited by jibbby; 04-30-06 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-25-06, 05:34 PM
Joshwa
Rookie

Originally Posted by JamesN

3) I bought new wiring harness since I don't like old wires. You can use your old harness if its in good condition. Also my motor was ARISTO so I have to get supra harness and ECU.

4) You need to change Engine mount and mount bracket to SC300 one. That would bolt right up.
Please confirm, but the Aristo motor and harness should work if you’re going to run a any aftermarket 2jz ecu?? EG, Apexi power FC.

Also by engine mount and mount brackets, I assume your talking about the rubber mount it's self, then the bracket that bolts onto that?
Old 05-25-06, 10:43 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joshwa
Please confirm, but the Aristo motor and harness should work if you’re going to run a any aftermarket 2jz ecu?? EG, Apexi power FC.

Also by engine mount and mount brackets, I assume your talking about the rubber mount it's self, then the bracket that bolts onto that?

Yes you could use Aristo harness if you put on after market ECU. It should work but do check at MKIV.com for some little bug problem. I heard there could be some bug problem when you plug the Aristo harness with after market ECU. I'm not sure though, so please check. I'm planning to go with AEM ECU soon so I put in new harness and my old harness wasn't in good shape. It cost more but I don't want problems when I plug into the new ECU.
The mount and mount backet is the rubber mount and the metal bracket that look like an elbow that attach you the motor. You are correct.
Old 08-05-06, 06:34 AM
begone
Rookie

So from what I've read, this swap is exactly like the SC300 except for the Engine Mounts and a few electrical issues? Right? Many of those issues were the exact same issues that many have doing an NA Supra TT Swap (Oil Pans Upper and Lower, Harness/ECU, PS Resevoir, Driveshaft). And actually this swap may be easier due to the Drive Shaft hooking right up, where in the SC300 you have to use a different Shaft.

So from doing this swap in the SC400 vs SC300 - what are the main differences? Am I missing something here?

Engine Mounts
Temp Gauge Resistor
Tach Adaptor

Anything else? Thanks.
Old 08-05-06, 08:18 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome work man Congrats on the swap

Jonny

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte swap SC400 Project