Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte swap SC400 Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 09:24 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

nice.. 3600 is when boost builds up =]

hmm... more torque then horse power too! nice..

so how much money did it cost you total? and time??

keep up the good work!
Old 06-01-07, 10:57 AM
MattSEG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about swapping the gauge cluster to one from an sc300, since those are made to run on the 2jzge, wouldn't it solve your tach issue?
Old 06-01-07, 11:20 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jayblitz
JamesN, what is the name of the other places you would have gone to first, rather than Spark Racing?? just curious.... and can the 2JZGTTE pass smog or no? I new to all this, I just sold my big block 1970 chevelle =)
I'm about taking my car to SR motor(steve) to do single turbo upgrade. I do recommend him for swap. He's very nice guy and he knows alot about SC swapping 2jzgte. He got one himself. Smog will not pass.
Old 06-01-07, 11:23 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
nice.. 3600 is when boost builds up =]

hmm... more torque then horse power too! nice..

so how much money did it cost you total? and time??

keep up the good work!
Yeah I was suprise about the torque. I have Lextreme upgraded Torque Converter and it seem to work well. I might ask Lextreme to redo my TC to 3800 stall and see how much more torque I can get more.
The swap cost almost 10K. It's due to its and SC4 and you have to change more parts to make it work. SC3 should cost 1k or 2K less IMO.
The swap is about 2 months down time.
Old 06-01-07, 11:25 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattSEG
What about swapping the gauge cluster to one from an sc300, since those are made to run on the 2jzge, wouldn't it solve your tach issue?
Yeah swapping the sc300 cluster works well. You still need an adapter for the tach. I didn't want to do that because my cluster was redo to red and blue color. But it still works.
Old 06-01-07, 11:32 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JamesN
Yeah swapping the sc300 cluster works well. You still need an adapter for the tach. I didn't want to do that because my cluster was redo to red and blue color. But it still works.
james you dont need a tach adapter jus bypass resistor 109 behing the cluster and you will have your tach .
Old 06-01-07, 11:59 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc250tt
james you dont need a tach adapter jus bypass resistor 109 behing the cluster and you will have your tach .
Thanks for the imput . This give further info for people who want to swap.
Old 07-31-07, 06:29 PM
zero442
Driver School Candidate

great post. great info all around. I am considering something similar while taking apart and checking the 1uz on my car. Glad to hear the crossmember stays, i have swapped these and know they are a pain.
Old 08-06-07, 07:19 PM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

i am starting this swap on wed. and i need some info. i have already extended my jdm harness and planon using my jdm ecu. this should work right. can i use the waterpump,ac compressor from my sc400?
Old 08-06-07, 11:24 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WICKED 1
i am starting this swap on wed. and i need some info. i have already extended my jdm harness and planon using my jdm ecu. this should work right. can i use the waterpump,ac compressor from my sc400?
wiring harness should work. But waterpump and AC compressor will not.
Old 05-08-08, 07:08 AM
Riceater
Driver

How difficult was it to find all of the vacuum lines you needed and to figure out where to attach them? They said on Supraforums that the routing is fairly easy with a TSRM. I have just about everything else ready to go except for the coolant reserve (if that's absolutely necessary), and the extended harness.. is extending the harness as simple as just sodering an extension wire to the existing wires? If so my buddy who has been an electrician for 20 years has the tools and know-how to do it... could this be a viable option in your opinion or would I be asking for trouble? Kinda curious as to what's involved maybe I can save myself a month and $500 having someone else extend it.
Old 06-04-08, 06:36 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

James youre my hero. I start my swap in about a month on my 93 sc4. sorry to jump on the band wagon and i've done my research but i would like to ask just a couple question:

Did the GTE harness fit the sc4 body plugs ok? i know you have to repin a couple things.

Why didnt you reuse the sc4 hydro fan?

are you planning on hooking up your a/c eventually?

It sounds like the swap is pretty much str8 forward, just a couple little time consuming things here and there. Swap looks good man and congrats...i cant wait to start mine.
Old 06-04-08, 08:44 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Finding vacuum lines is easy. Just make sure all lines are plug up. Extending the harness is not hard. But wiring to the accessories ecu is hard. If you are not sure what you are doing I recommend hired a professional. It save you the headache and time.

Originally Posted by Riceater
How difficult was it to find all of the vacuum lines you needed and to figure out where to attach them? They said on Supraforums that the routing is fairly easy with a TSRM. I have just about everything else ready to go except for the coolant reserve (if that's absolutely necessary), and the extended harness.. is extending the harness as simple as just sodering an extension wire to the existing wires? If so my buddy who has been an electrician for 20 years has the tools and know-how to do it... could this be a viable option in your opinion or would I be asking for trouble? Kinda curious as to what's involved maybe I can save myself a month and $500 having someone else extend it.
Old 06-04-08, 09:09 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

LOL.. Thanks for the compliment. GTE harness should fit the body plugs ok. There is a lot of work rewiring and extending wires. Getting the Tach to work is hard and getting the water tempt guage to work is harder. Because you have to find the right resistor for it.
I didn't use the Hydraulic fan because I was intended to used dual electric fan. Also, I change water pump to supra clutch fan type. Now I've removed the dual electric fan and use clutch fan system because I found out clutch fan works best for cooling. Here a pics of my latest engine setup.

I have removed the a/c total. This is my toy car and I don't drive really far with it. The a/c make the motor produce even more heat in the summer and I don't want to put my motor through those kind abuse. Plus, I'm planning more upgrade to my motor like single turbo, cams, and head work. So I can live without my a/c.

Good luck with your swap and PM me if you need any info. I'll try my best to help.

Originally Posted by trufanatic
James youre my hero. I start my swap in about a month on my 93 sc4. sorry to jump on the band wagon and i've done my research but i would like to ask just a couple question:

Did the GTE harness fit the sc4 body plugs ok? i know you have to repin a couple things.

Why didnt you reuse the sc4 hydro fan?

are you planning on hooking up your a/c eventually?

It sounds like the swap is pretty much str8 forward, just a couple little time consuming things here and there. Swap looks good man and congrats...i cant wait to start mine.
Old 06-05-08, 10:12 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

I'm pretty savvy with wiring. Since the body plugs fit fine to the GTE harness Im guessing that the plugs have to be repinned? time consuming i bet...

Do you have a good resource of the GTE harness and ECU pin outs and one for the SC4 body plugs and ECU pin outs?

Im guessing it just moving around the pins to match up to the corralating body accessories.

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte swap SC400 Project