Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What is so great about the SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 11:46 AM
PM Supra
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sig speaks for itself. I would sell my Supra before the SC300. It's the frame of mind busting a Turbo Porshe with a luxo car.
Old 04-06-06, 12:02 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Think of it this way.

I can run the qt mile in the 12's full weight and drive back home while confusing people that it's a lexus.

I can beat a corvette on the highway, then cruize to a dead silence with George Winston's CD playing.

I can attend an Import Meet, and have many ask questions regarding the car and get attention.

I can park next to a car that is 10 years younger, and still make it seem as if my car is an 06.

I can go to a roadcourse, full weight, and still take on some cars on the track.

And I can go home, park, and know that my 10 year old car still gets more looks, handles as well if not better, pulls harder, looks newer, then many cars on the road today.

The sc300 isnt your average silvia where you can find many cheap parts and just throw them together. Its a higher platform and definitely a different league. The SC is slow, but that can be fixed. The SC is heavy, but that can be fixed. Cars such as the silvia lack luxury, which cannot be fixed.
Old 04-06-06, 01:51 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Think of it this way.

I can run the qt mile in the 12's full weight and drive back home while confusing people that it's a lexus.

I can beat a corvette on the highway, then cruize to a dead silence with George Winston's CD playing.

I can attend an Import Meet, and have many ask questions regarding the car and get attention.

I can park next to a car that is 10 years younger, and still make it seem as if my car is an 06.

I can go to a roadcourse, full weight, and still take on some cars on the track.

And I can go home, park, and know that my 10 year old car still gets more looks, handles as well if not better, pulls harder, looks newer, then many cars on the road today.

The sc300 isnt your average silvia where you can find many cheap parts and just throw them together. Its a higher platform and definitely a different league. The SC is slow, but that can be fixed. The SC is heavy, but that can be fixed. Cars such as the silvia lack luxury, which cannot be fixed.
Brilliant! That is a great way to look at it, and that's how see it as. So many people have integra's, honda's, eclipse's, etc.. I see them all the time with turbo's and mods. How often do you see a nice, luxurious, tastefully modified SC300, with FI power? Not very often, at least not around where I live. I know of only a few. Our cars can be a nice daily driver/ cruiser car to relax in, but if you have the funds it can be a beast! As I have seen someone put it, the heart of a Supra, the luxury of a lexus.
Old 04-06-06, 02:30 PM
happypanda
Lead Lap

i have owned many cars...sc is something special. you are right its a boat, its slow, and heavy. but all of that can be fixed as stated above. the way i like it is that i can still keep the $50k price tag luxury feel when im driving it and at the same time have a power of a supra=) I have owned z32tt, lots and lots of 240sx with alot of sr swaps, from stock to wild...experienced rb etc...its just not the same. those cars are fun but steppin into the sc...its a whole different world. i can put on a business suit and look just right in my luxurious supra. people think its a brand new car. thats all i can say. i sold my 98 gs to get back into a sc...it just doesnt compare.
Old 04-06-06, 03:09 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

No one claims the SC300/400 is a fast car. Its not light either.

Nearly everything else about the car is awesome. Reliable, build quality, low noise levels, and plenty of potential. I've been waiting years to get my hands on an SC. Now that I have one I plan to keep it for a very long time.

I also had an Integra and then an sr 240sx. They were fun, but I enjoy driving the SC a hell of a lot more. If your looking for a drift or auto X car then yes you may wanna look else where.
Old 04-06-06, 04:40 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

I sold my FD for a SC300 if that tells you anything. I wanted a daily that was relaiable, looks good, and can make hp for me down the road if I want. My Silver/ with black int. does all of that times 10. I could not daily my FD, I had to worry about constantly too, "did my tempt gauge just move", did I just have a 1psi turbo spike over stock boost"? The SC 300 I get in, start up, drive. Im still paronied about my cars, but much less with the SC 300 and I get to daily it yey. Oh and the FD got about 10-14mpg depending on how heavy my foot was.
I will stick with the lexus.
Old 04-06-06, 06:50 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lots of good opinions here... now for my take on it.

im on my second SC. the first i found by luck.(some may say fate) drove the hell out of it for a year and a half and had about $200 worth of maitenance in it.

as a tech for BMW, naturally, i wanted an M3.... so i went looking. i drove about 15-20 and none of them had a chance once i got back in my SC. what did i do? baught another SC with lower milage and started over.

both of my cars are/were 5speeds. here is what keeps me in it.

i drive it everyday to work, through traffic. the clutch is light, i can pass whenever i need to, and stop just the same. its not going to brake any land speed records, but its ok.

occasionally, i go to the track and make a mid 15 sec pass. not even close to fast, but its still fun.

i can bank an exit ramp staying right on the tail of my friends civic hatch with full suspension, sways, strutbars, and a cage... and all i have is eibach springs. although i have to use a bit more finesse and tecnique, but it keeps me on my game.

i can throw on the nice threads, roll downtown, turn heads, and end up in VIP in front of the club next to 06 MBs, Jags, and BMWs, and still have the cleanest and sleekest car out there.

occasionally i make the 1100 mile drive up to maryland to see the fam... which i can do nonstop thanks to the comfort of the car. (as long as i can stay awake). if i pass a cop at 10 over, he is highly unlikely to pull me over being its a lexus as apposed to an integra or eclipse.

i can make my friends tense up in the pass seat through the twisties.... or enjoy some jazz though the nice factory radio while taking my grandmother to the store.

it may not be the car for you, but it seems to be the best for me. it offers everything i could have wanted in a car. eventually, i may throw something in there to give it a smack in the ***, but who knows.

if your not impressed, dont get one. its that simple. go drive a few, then drive any other car you may be interested in, and judge for yourself.... we wont hate you if its not for you.

welcome to clublexus.
Old 04-06-06, 09:58 PM
Corbic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkorsu
The 1J motor set can be had for a lot less than $4000. I'm no expert on 1J's though. Ask VJ RC51, Rising Sun, and others that have done the swap to get a more acurate picture.
Err; I think I'm getting my engines confused. 1J is the MKIII Supra engine, which comes as a 2.5l and a 3.0, 2j is the MKIV Supra engine matted to either an automatic or a 6spd manual?

I've never really heard much good about the MKIII Supra, performance, reliability or cost.
Old 04-06-06, 10:00 PM
Corbic
Driver School Candidate

Did the SC come with a LSD? I must agree with everyone so far though, the thought of being able to easily Daily Drive a nice car that doesnt feel like a go-kart is vary appealing. (my second car is a stripped out FC GXL ).
Old 04-06-06, 10:06 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Corbic
Err; I think I'm getting my engines confused. 1J is the MKIII Supra engine, which comes as a 2.5l and a 3.0, 2j is the MKIV Supra engine matted to either an automatic or a 6spd manual?

I've never really heard much good about the MKIII Supra, performance, reliability or cost.

The 1J never came in the Supra. At least not here in the U.S. (Don't know much about the JDM's so can't speak for them) The 1J was put in the JDM Soarers. The 2JZ-GT is exactly the same, Supra to SC. The 2JZ-GTE was the twin-turbo that was only in the Supra. Well, at least that is how I understand it to be. I'm a 1UZ guy. I'm sure my I6 bros will correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as reliable????

How about an SC doing 9.59 in the 1/4 on stock internals with a 2J??? Says a ton on how well the engine is built.

The car I mentioned is owned by a member. Qwikturbo or Quikturbo. Out of Chi-Town. Search for him, he's got some videos posted.
Old 04-06-06, 10:07 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Did the SC come with a LSD? I must agree with everyone so far though, the thought of being able to easily Daily Drive a nice car that doesnt feel like a go-kart is vary appealing. (my second car is a stripped out FC GXL ).

Unfortunately no. Only Open diff. A swap with a Supra LSD is not overly complicated if you're familiar with rears.
Old 04-06-06, 10:08 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Nothing wrong with a nice fast FC!!!!
Old 04-06-06, 11:23 PM
Corbic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Nothing wrong with a nice fast FC!!!!
True.. but when 5+6 port are seized, you need suspension, exhaust is leaking and the winshield is cracked...

Checking out all my options, cause I think I'm going to sell the FC (i think) and either get a TII, SC... or I don't know what, maybe sell my daily as well and get something with payment and a warrenty.
Old 04-07-06, 02:21 AM
convoy
Pole Position

i sold my SR powered, full suspension set up, sil-eighty to buy my first SC300. i miss the turbo very much, but i just love the luxorious ride of the SC!!!! then i crashed it. i was lucky enough to find another one with a manual transmission. now i'm driving the car of my dreams
Old 04-07-06, 05:40 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well... I have a Green SC with the tan interior and I am extremely satisifed with the way it looks. As far as the 1Jz... They were available in Supra MKIII, Soarer (sc300) or Chaser. The Soarer motorset is a completely P&P swap for the SC. My car is a daily driver, idles like my stock motor, as comfortable as any modern luxury coupe, get mid 20 MPG and blows the doors off of any G35, 350Z, STI and SR20 240.

My swap

In my past ive owned an Integra, Turbo Eclipse, Turbo Talon, A4, and WRX. All my cars were heavily modified and I feel my SC is superior to all of them. Now I feel I have the best of all worlds timeless looks, easily modified, great gas mileage, and very fast. I feel as comfortable going to a corporate meeting in a suit and tie, then to the track and run sub 13s in the quarter, then have dinner in midtown manhattan parked next to a CL500.

Welcome to CL

Quick Reply: What is so great about the SC300?