Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Open Downpipe 1jZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-06, 05:32 PM
turbodude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh oh... here we go again....
Old 04-08-06, 07:27 AM
GRSC400
Driver

i was driving mine for about 2 weeks with open down pipe (3 but it really rattles inside the car and is fun to a point because by the end of the day i had a headache but finally got my 3.5 " exahust with single muffler done last thurday and it sound sweet at idle is nice and when you get on it even nicer i love it
Old 04-08-06, 10:17 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I installed my Y-pipe and DP, I started the car and OMG!! It is just toooo loud!! Now even with my 3' exahsut with no cat, people still look at me and goes"what the hell!" But the sound is so good! But I put on the silencer anyway cause the cops here will give you a fix it ticket if you get caught, and that's no joke! ( My exhaust is custom and there is no way to put back to stock!)
Attached Thumbnails Open Downpipe 1jZ-scengine.jpg  
Old 04-08-06, 10:56 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

I wonder what 3in turbo back will sound like with a famous brand muffler in the rear. No silencer. I cant wait to find out, i gotta start ordering supplys
Old 04-08-06, 01:16 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by got_trd
welcome to my life 2 years ago....... back in houston when i had stock exhaust my mufflers were sitting in the garage... open dp was fun but the ear aches and interior rattles arent worth it
I see your sig says untuned >
you have intake, exhaust, pulley, fmic, fuel pump, Stock injectors, Stock turbos and 1 bar of boost correct ?
what is there to tune ?
Old 04-08-06, 02:14 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
I wonder what 3in turbo back will sound like with a famous brand muffler in the rear. No silencer. I cant wait to find out, i gotta start ordering supplys
not trying to start ****, just trying to figure these sigs out, yours says bpu +, you have intakes and cam gears thats it ? stock turbos, stock exhuast, stock initercooler, stock dp, stock inj,stock cams so please explain the "Basic Power Upgrade" on and the "+" !

Last edited by 2.5tsoarer; 04-08-06 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-08-06, 02:22 PM
turbodude
Rookie

Damn if all these guys are BPU, BPU+, and stuff what is your car, like SDPU+++++?
Old 04-08-06, 02:46 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

hahaha, i wonder what my car was then I got bashed for saying my car was APU. even though I know it was.

Hey, AL.....I should be picking up my next project soon. Hopefully i can get my hands on a T6 and you can mock me up a manifold.

Peter
Old 04-08-06, 03:06 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Im not on stock turbo but i ran 3" dp to my stock exhaust with open wastegate. This combo worked out pretty good for me since i like my cars to be quite, i personally just don't like the attention. The stock exhaust kept the car sounding stock but when i reached full boost, the open wastegate screemed. It was a decent balance to keep noise down just putting around town but opened up real good when i got on it.

I did drive to the muffler shop with open dp when i first got my car running to have the rest of the dp fabbed. It sounded like a semi and i couldn't hear crap from inside. All i heard was spool which did sound cool but i rather have the quite car . I guess i have grown older beacuse i use to like loud cars and love the sound of bovs but now, after a while, i get tired of hearing all that noise and just want a smooth quiet car but still have the ***** hold its own.
Old 04-08-06, 03:33 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
I see your sig says untuned >
you have intake, exhaust, pulley, fmic, fuel pump, Stock injectors, Stock turbos and 1 bar of boost correct ?
what is there to tune ?

my sig just says 1jz with a few bolt ons... it used to say untuned because my afc ii is untuned, and my sig hasnt said what mods i have in ages....
Old 04-08-06, 05:45 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by got_trd
my sig just says 1jz with a few bolt ons... it used to say untuned because my afc ii is untuned, and my sig hasnt said what mods i have in ages....
dude look what I wrote, with those mods there is nothing to tune ! car has stock injectors ,stock cams, stock turbos, only running 14psi.
Old 04-08-06, 09:36 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

No the question you should be asking yourself is, does a stock cammed, stock turbo, stock injector, stock ecu 1jzgte benefit from a big front mounted intercooler, when the factory system was designed to handle it? HKS or Crower cams should be everyones first real mod.
Old 04-08-06, 10:14 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

hmmm, this thread is fun. personally, i wouldnt have passed on the front mount either... you cant buy a core for what he got that one for even after having the piping made.

2.5tsoarer... when are you gonna get out here so we can all see that car of yours. ive been wanting to see that interior in person since the last supra meet in tampa that i missed. you went single right?
Old 04-09-06, 08:38 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
hmmm, this thread is fun. personally, i wouldnt have passed on the front mount either... you cant buy a core for what he got that one for even after having the piping made.

2.5tsoarer... when are you gonna get out here so we can all see that car of yours. ive been wanting to see that interior in person since the last supra meet in tampa that i missed. you went single right?
these 2 guys I called out on their sigs should work for W. Busch. they are very good at avoiding questions ! .
Ki, my interior is still in the works. I put that in the back burner so I could work on the engine. I did get the rest on the suede I needed to finish I justh ave to take all the parts to the interior guy, and leatherseats .com is shipping my black sc rear and mk4 fronts. just cant deside weather to dye or replace carpet in black.
Oh ans yes Ki I went single turbo. I think I was the first Single 1jz jzz30 in FL.
Old 04-09-06, 08:51 AM
turbodude
Rookie

no prob Peter just let me know... And for clarification purposes for all...

BPU = Intake, Exhaust, BCC or FCD, and Boost controller
BPU+ = Above, Cam gears, Front mount
BPU++ = Above and any fuel controller
APU = Anything past above
SDPU = Anything i work on... j/k

Quick Reply: Open Downpipe 1jZ