Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission Trouble on Lexus SC300, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 05:08 PM
SC300Gurl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Trouble on Lexus SC300, Please Help

Hello,

My bf advised that I post in here, to hopefully get some help/advice from you all.

I own a 92' Lexus SC300, with about 160+ miles. About a week ago it started running really weird, shuttering when idle, and not wanting to go from one gear to the next (it's an automatic)
It felt like it was going to die on me, the worst is probably when I'm idle at a stop light, then I go to take off and it just doesn't really want to go. The whole car ride is real shakey, and just definitely out of the norm compaired to how it normally runs.

So we took it to our mechanic buddy, he looked at it and said it was possibly my Transmission, my fluid was very dark, a brownish/black color (which I learned was not good) so we decided to go ahead and flush it to see if that would work. We flushed it a few times on Sat, and over the course of doing that, we found more problems.

(I don't know much about cars or car lingo for that matter, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge)

After flushing the transmission, the car was still running not 100% back to normal. He said it seemed as though the car was misfiring, then proceeded to take off the cover to the engine and found my spark plugs to be submerged in about an inch of Engine Oil. All my spark plug wires apparently are orignal from 1992, never been replaced (i've only owned the car, not quite 2 yrs) and he blew out most of the engine oil, for god knows has been in there for how long.

His conclusion on all this, now that the tranny is hopefully fixed (because the car is running a little bit better since the flushing took place) Is for us to go out and get these various parts:

* Valve Cover Gasket(s) -not sure how many are in my make/model
* Spark Plugs
* Spark Plug Wires
* Distributor Cap
* Distributor Rotor
* Upper Intake Gasket(s) - not sure how many are in my make/model

So I guess my question for you guys is, based on what you know, does all this sound right? Any other suggestions possibly on what we should do? And do any of these parts needs to be bought specifically from a Lexus/Toyota parts dealer? While we're doing all this work should we change anything else?

I'd greatly appreciate any input you may have! Thank you for your time!
Old 04-17-06, 05:14 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If your spark plugs are originals from 92 then I would also be concerned with other areas of the car such as timing belt, serpentine belt, fuel filter, etc... Especially considering your mileage. These are great cars but nothing runs properly if not maintained and it sounds like your car was neglected.

I would have your mechanic go through the entire list of maintenance issues that should have been conducted on your car based on your mileage before driving much further to avoid any potential mishaps such as engine damage,etc... The above is just to get things started.
Old 04-17-06, 05:18 PM
SC300Gurl
Driver School Candidate

He did say the Spark Plugs had been replaced, so we know those aren't originals because I asked that immediately, after knowing the Spark Plug wires were from 1992! lol Can't hurt to run a fine tooth comb though over everything, thanks!
Old 04-17-06, 05:41 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be very concerned about that transmission of yours. When I purchased my 1992 SC400 about a year ago the transmission was acting a little off, but the fluid looked fine. I did 3 drain and fills in my garage which seemed to fix the problems, and 1 more drain and fill a couple months ago. Even with all this maintenance, and the fluid looking pristine, the transmission crapped out on me the other day. I'd monitor yours very closely.

Scott
Old 04-17-06, 08:13 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Figuring you found the plugs soaking in oil, I would tend to look there first. You're doing all the right things at this time to troubleshoot. Regular maintenance stuff should be done. Then go looking for bigger issues if that doesn't solve it. You have 6 spark plugs (6 cylinders), intake and exhaust valve cover gaskets, and 2 gaskets in the throttle body/intake plenum (they're called throttle body gasket and intake plenum gasket or upper intake manifold gasket) These last 2 can usually be reused if handled carefully.

Rough idle, stalling, etc sounds more like engine problems than tranny problems. Trannys usually tend to make whining noises or crunching sounds before they go. Usually...

If the above maintenance doesn't help the original issues, I would then start looking at fuel delivery system (sending unit, pump, filter) and other sensors in the engine (TPS, MAF). As mentioned above, consider doing the other regular maintenance issues on the car (timing belt, tb tensioner, idler pulley, engine/tranny mounts, harmonic balancer and all the seals that usually get replaced with a timing belt change.) The engine in a 92 SC3 is a noninterference design so you don't risk engine damage if the timing belt breaks, but you will be left stranded on the side of the road.

Agreed, these cars last forever, if taken care of properly.

Also, make sure you use the correct fluid for the tranny. A 92 SC300 used Dexron II. Regular old Dexron will do, do not use Toyota tranny fluid. All SC400s used Toyota tranny fluid only.

Hope you get your beauty up and running.
Old 04-17-06, 08:33 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

Can't help you with your problem, but I must say that was very well put together post asking a question wow. I feel put to shame now lol. You came to the right place though, the people on here have excellent knowlage on these cars.
Good luck

Last edited by onebadshot; 04-17-06 at 08:35 PM. Reason: I aint got no english skills
Old 04-17-06, 08:39 PM
simoncpj
Driver School Candidate

Don't know the 300 too well, but your symptoms sound a lot like a vacuum issue. If it is worse at start up and when cold, check the vacuum hoses for leaks. Replace the PCV.
Old 04-18-06, 10:09 AM
SC300Gurl
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so based on what you said, I need to buy the following quantities for these parts....

* Spark Plugs - (6 qty)
* Spark Plug Wires - (6 qty) (... I think that's how many are in there now)

As for the following items, how many do I need for my make/model? Or if I call the parts dealer, could they tell me? Also, all these parts aren't Lexus/Toyota dealership specific right? (In other words, I was just planning on getting all my parts from Autozone or Kragens... money's a little tight lol)

* Valve Cover Gasket(s) Qty?
* Distributor Cap Qty?
* Distributor Rotor Qty?
* Upper Intake Gasket(s) Qty?

Thanks again for your help! It's greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by T0ked
Figuring you found the plugs soaking in oil, I would tend to look there first. You're doing all the right things at this time to troubleshoot. Regular maintenance stuff should be done. Then go looking for bigger issues if that doesn't solve it. You have 6 spark plugs (6 cylinders), intake and exhaust valve cover gaskets, and 2 gaskets in the throttle body/intake plenum (they're called throttle body gasket and intake plenum gasket or upper intake manifold gasket) These last 2 can usually be reused if handled carefully.

Rough idle, stalling, etc sounds more like engine problems than tranny problems. Trannys usually tend to make whining noises or crunching sounds before they go. Usually...

If the above maintenance doesn't help the original issues, I would then start looking at fuel delivery system (sending unit, pump, filter) and other sensors in the engine (TPS, MAF). As mentioned above, consider doing the other regular maintenance issues on the car (timing belt, tb tensioner, idler pulley, engine/tranny mounts, harmonic balancer and all the seals that usually get replaced with a timing belt change.) The engine in a 92 SC3 is a noninterference design so you don't risk engine damage if the timing belt breaks, but you will be left stranded on the side of the road.

Agreed, these cars last forever, if taken care of properly.

Also, make sure you use the correct fluid for the tranny. A 92 SC300 used Dexron II. Regular old Dexron will do, do not use Toyota tranny fluid. All SC400s used Toyota tranny fluid only.

Hope you get your beauty up and running.
Old 04-18-06, 03:02 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Get NGK or Denso for the plugs and OEM for everything else (probably Denso).

Scott
Old 04-18-06, 03:32 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC300Gurl
Ok, so based on what you said, I need to buy the following quantities for these parts....

* Spark Plugs - (6 qty)
* Spark Plug Wires - (6 qty) (... I think that's how many are in there now)

As for the following items, how many do I need for my make/model? Or if I call the parts dealer, could they tell me? Also, all these parts aren't Lexus/Toyota dealership specific right? (In other words, I was just planning on getting all my parts from Autozone or Kragens... money's a little tight lol)

* Valve Cover Gasket(s) Qty?
* Distributor Cap Qty?
* Distributor Rotor Qty?
* Upper Intake Gasket(s) Qty?

Thanks again for your help! It's greatly appreciated!

Spark plugs = 6
Plug wires = 7 (distributor to each plug plus one from coil to distributor) Just look for a replacement set. They are all different lengths.

Valve cover gasket = 2 (one exhaust side, one intake side, they're sold separately)
Distributor cap = 1
Rotor = 1
Throttle body gasket = 1
intake plenum gasket (or upper intake manifold gasket) = 1

The last two are most likely not needed as they rarely need replacement. Just make sure they are not bent/creased on removal. Just clean them with some carb cleaner. Also, make sure the intake parts are cleaned before reassembly. Get several cans of carb cleaner. I would recommend Toyota parts. If you go AZ, then get NGK for plugs. Other parts are at your discretion.
Old 04-18-06, 04:03 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simoncpj
Don't know the 300 too well, but your symptoms sound a lot like a vacuum issue. If it is worse at start up and when cold, check the vacuum hoses for leaks. Replace the PCV.
Doubtful, she just needs a major tune up, it's not that hard or that expensive.
Old 04-20-06, 10:56 AM
SC300Gurl
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I've been calling around all day trying to get parts numbers and prices for all the goodies on my car....

However, I just called Napa Auto Parts, and he said he had no way in determining what kind of engine I had, 2J or 3V? Anyone know?

He had too different options, depending on what enigine I have, that are parts specific for the spark plus wires, the 2J's were $61.99 for a replacement kit, and for the 3V $91.99.

I'm guessing I have a 2J, but just wanted to double check to see if you guys knew. If I have a 3V then I am going to have trouble finding my valve cover gaskets because most places only have the 2J's.

Thanks!

ps... waiting on Lexus to call me back with parts number and pricing... I called Toyota first, he said he didn't have access to Lexus parts numbers and needed the numbers before he could do anything else... said that there is also a good chance the numbers might not work in their system
Old 04-20-06, 12:16 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 266 Posts

What the hell is a 3V? that Napa guy doesn't know what goes into an SC

You have a 2JZ-GE engine. The SC400 has a 1UZ-FE....What the hell is a 3V? lol.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-06, 02:41 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Yup, 2JZ-GE. You could also get parts for the Mark IV Supra (93-98), which share an lot of engine parts, through the Toyota dealer.
Old 05-02-06, 08:00 AM
SC300Gurl
Driver School Candidate

ok so I got all my parts finally. A lot of them had to be ordered in from out of town in Stockton CA. So took awhile to get some of them in. Now just waiting on our mechanic buddy to have time to install everything, lets hope it works!

Thanks again for everyone's help!!! It's greatly appreciated, I'll keep ya posted on how it goes.

Quick Reply: Transmission Trouble on Lexus SC300, Please Help