Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DYNO Results for my SC400

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 05:10 PM
ISC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MongooseGA: torque converters only really help out your 1/4 mile time. I been told many times that the lextreme TC's are the best bang for your buck.

lexiss_sc400: Nice numbers!! i love seeing sc400 time to shine is now and FI isn't unkown territory anymore thanks to SC400TT, Emerald, RDM20FAN and of course the Aussies. By the way what kind of catback are you using? do you recommed it ? because my next mod for me is Full exhaust and after that i plan posting my results also.

Last edited by ISC400; 05-12-06 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 07:38 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISC400
lexiss_sc400: Nice numbers!! i love seeing sc400 time to shine is now and FI isn't unkown territory anymore thanks to SC400TT, Emerald, RDM20FAN and of course the Aussies. By the way what kind of catback are you using? do you recommed it ? because my next mod for me is Full exhaust and afther that i plan posting my results also.

I have magnaflows and the piping is custom.. .for a cat-back systems its great... but if you are going to do it I suggest you do it right.
Buy what ever mufflers you'd like... I love the magnaflows so I'd get those... then buy a X pipe and leave the rest up to the muffler shop.. Have them start from where your headers end and run straight pipes until you get to the X and after that try to keep the pipes as straight as you can... yes you might lose some clearance (you might scrape) but the less bends in your set-up the better... run it to the mufflers and that’s it... all together you will spend less than 400, I spent 270 on my setup with 2 mufflers, tips, and custom pipes and install. So I doubt an X pipe and a few feet of extra pipe would cost that much…

Hope it helps
Old 04-25-06, 08:20 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexiss_sc400
I have magnaflows and the piping is custom.. .for a cat-back systems its great... but if you are going to do it I suggest you do it right.
Buy what ever mufflers you'd like... I love the magnaflows so I'd get those... then buy a X pipe and leave the rest up to the muffler shop.. Have them start from where your headers end and run straight pipes until you get to the X and after that try to keep the pipes as straight as you can... yes you might lose some clearance (you might scrape) but the less bends in your set-up the better... run it to the mufflers and that’s it... all together you will spend less than 400, I spent 270 on my setup with 2 mufflers, tips, and custom pipes and install. So I doubt an X pipe and a few feet of extra pipe would cost that much…

Hope it helps
So you're saying run with no cats?

I need to find a shop near by that can do mandrel bends. I found one place, but they were going to make the bend by taking prebent piecesof pipe and welding it to the straight pipe. Quoted over $900 for the job.

After I find the place with amandrel bender, I guess I should make sure they're cool with eliminating the cats (illegal here, AFAIK.)
Old 04-25-06, 08:34 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
So you're saying run with no cats?

I need to find a shop near by that can do mandrel bends. I found one place, but they were going to make the bend by taking prebent piecesof pipe and welding it to the straight pipe. Quoted over $900 for the job.

After I find the place with amandrel bender, I guess I should make sure they're cool with eliminating the cats (illegal here, AFAIK.)
humm Its been a while since I have looked under there, but I thought the cats are integrated near the headers there is one cat on each bank and then the 3rd (cali required) cat near where he would put this X pipe.
So you could/should purchase 2 high flow cats also.. I kinda forgot about those
Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-26-06, 01:00 AM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

If you have an intake and exhaust.... I would say around 20HP... a friend with a IS 3 with intake and exhaust got 23 extra HP outta it.

good luck
Sweet...what kind of exhaust are we talking here? Cat-back or headers? Right now i'm running 2.5" pipes all the way back and magnaflow mufflers. As far as intake goes I just have a stock air box with three 3" holes drilled in it and a K&N filte (too lazy to do BFI). How much do you think the SAFC could push out using this set up? Also how difficult is it to install this thing?
Old 04-26-06, 01:02 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wildrice09
Sweet...what kind of exhaust are we talking here? Cat-back or headers? Right now i'm running 2.5" pipes all the way back and magnaflow mufflers. As far as intake goes I just have a stock air box with three 3" holes drilled in it and a K&N filte (too lazy to do BFI). How much do you think the SAFC could push out using this set up? Also how difficult is it to install this thing?
he had SRT intake and the HKS (carbon ti I think )
Old 04-26-06, 01:07 AM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

O..ok. Well, i guess i'll have to give it a shot and find out what numbers it puts down. Thanks
Old 04-26-06, 02:43 AM
ISC400
Pole Position

Hope it helps
$400 sounds good but i plan on spending $1000 on my exhuast because i have a extra $600 laying around my house that i couldn't decide on what to spent it on so i guess i'll waste it on some S&S headers J/K. Yea right i have been saving for the past month and doing research on what to get. well my plan is to get S&S headers,then get rid of all the cats run 2.5" piping from the headers to 2.5" Xpipe in place of the 3rd cat. then 2.5" piping (as straight as can be) to 2 MagnaFlow 14851 Mufflers. I plan on spending 600 on headers(intalling them my self), 200 magnaflows, 250 on oem gaskets for the headers, Xpipe,2.5" Mandrel bent piping and install. Then i'll dyno and post what gains i get
Old 04-26-06, 03:47 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

$400 sounds good but i plan on spending $1000 on my exhuast because i have a extra $600 laying around my house that i couldn't decide on what to spent it on so i guess i'll waste it on some S&S headers J/K. Yea right i have been saving for the past month and doing research on what to get. well my plan is to get S&S headers,then get rid of all the cats run 2.5" piping from the headers to 2.5" Xpipe in place of the 3rd cat. then 2.5" piping (as straight as can be) to 2 MagnaFlow 14851 Mufflers. I plan on spending 600 on headers(intalling them my self), 200 magnaflows, 250 on oem gaskets for the headers, Xpipe,2.5" Mandrel bent piping and install. Then i'll dyno and post what gains i get
If I'm not mistaken, didn't one of the members here running headers have to pull or loosen the engine mounts for the install? I'm definitely not handy enough to do that myself. Good luck

Also, with the 2.5", I've been told that there'll be a loss of low end torque due to too much or not enough back pressure, I don't remember. Let us know what you get. When do you plan on doing this?

*Edit: And what mods do you already have?
Old 04-26-06, 09:34 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Nice Tommy
Your car sounds great too....very healthy
Old 04-26-06, 09:49 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I highly recommend no larger than 2.25" pipes for each side. 2.50" single center pipe. This is plenty of exhaust flow. Had one person go dual 2.50 to a single 3.00 with the SS headers and hated it. He actually went back to dual 2.00" with a single 2.5" center and loves it. Do NOT confuse bigger pipe with more power.
Old 04-26-06, 09:53 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

The S@S Headers are a good choice on the SC's. I think blocking the EGR maybe more difficult then installing the headers themselves. If it were not for the driveside exhaust manifold which is a real challenge to remove that would be the case..Wrench space is limited in that area... Anyway I believe any back yard mechanic can do this job.... However with the shorty header install your entire lower exhaust system will drop down just abit, you may need to have a exhaust shop alter a few things...Atleast on my car after measuring it all up. I will be altering and shortening my down pipes just a hair...Something to consider....

Those are my two cents on the S@S shorty Headers... An Egr block can be purchased at Lextreme.com..for less then $100. Good luck if you decide to go with headers...You should expect to see a 15-20hp gain as those stock exhaust manifolds are a joke and are very restrictive.. Keep in mind it can all get very loud when changing the complete exhaust system, so my recommendation is choose your setups carefully for noise control and power...
Old 04-26-06, 11:53 AM
ISC400
Pole Position

MongooseGA: the only mod i have done is the BFI w/ K&N filter and swiched from dino to synthetic oil and serviced all the fluids except transmission cuz i plan getting my TC afther my exhaust.

jbrady: for now i'm going 2.5" because magnaflows inlet is 2.5" and my Xpipe will also be 2.5". But i don't plan on running single center pipe, i think thats best for that single exhaust set up. 3" must be the reason it sounded bad. My plan is 2 headers+2 pipes+1Xpipe+2pipes+2magnaflows.

jibbby: Header install will be a pain in the a$$. at a dyno meet here in norcal i met the guy with headers and egr system. so i'm not expecting to yank it out but if have to i won't think twice about it.
Old 04-27-06, 06:17 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Thanks Phoung
Now I need to find some Headers or maybeh some NO2.. but I'm kinda scared to be running it on the streets here... If I get rolled on like Guillermo, I'll be F****ed

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Nice Tommy
Your car sounds great too....very healthy
Old 04-27-06, 06:49 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the nitrous! But take it from me, get the remote bottle opener!

Quick Reply: DYNO Results for my SC400