Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which muffler is best for my purpose?
DynoMax Super Turbo
10.94%
Magnaflow stainless steel straight through..
67.19%
DynoMax or Magnaflow other (pls specify in thread)
9.38%
Other muffler brand and model (pls specify in thread)
12.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Dynomax vs. Magnaflow muffler opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 06:59 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by jibbby
Any straight thru muffler will give you the best performance, unfortunately the noise will come with it too....Aside from that I have owned and ran both Magnaflow and Dynomax oval mufflers and I always found the Magnaflow to be more quiet...Performance I did not notice a difference between the two.

Fair warning, If you go with straight thru mufflers get ready to rock the neighborhood... You will be quick to buy the resonators shortly after, trust me...
Thanks for your input jibby . What resonators do you recommend me since I'm trying to stay as quiet as possible with straight-thru mufflers?
Old 10-29-06, 08:58 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jibbby
Any straight thru muffler will give you the best performance, unfortunately the noise will come with it too....If you go with straight thru mufflers get ready to rock the neighborhood...
A V-8 and the inline six turbo'd 2jz are not apples to apples. This post could be confusing to a noob because a V-8 SC400 and a SC300's 2jz-gte are very different sounds. A turbo counts as a resonator, probably more like a baffled muffler. My SC300 on a modest T61 with the straight through Maga's does anything but rock the neighborhood. I am just not thrilled with the drone or power sound at highway speeds.

Dejacky, your not a noob, lol, but I want to point out that he is speaking from the perspective of a V-8 NA engine.

Last edited by SCoupe; 10-29-06 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-30-06, 12:18 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Originally Posted by SCoupe
A V-8 and the inline six turbo'd 2jz are not apples to apples. This post could be confusing to a noob because a V-8 SC400 and a SC300's 2jz-gte are very different sounds. A turbo counts as a resonator, probably more like a baffled muffler. My SC300 on a modest T61 with the straight through Maga's does anything but rock the neighborhood. I am just not thrilled with the drone or power sound at highway speeds.

Dejacky, your not a noob, lol, but I want to point out that he is speaking from the perspective of a V-8 NA engine.

I don't know exactly what a NOOB is....I am hoping it is not an insulting term...

Anyway, I have had straight thru mufflers on my landcruiser which is a 24 valve overhead cam 4.5L straight six toyota motor and I am currently straight thru Megan N1 mufflers on my V8 4.0L SC400...I found the muffler sounds to be some what quiet at idle and roaring at full throttle on both vehicles...I would venture to speculate that the same sounds would be applied with an SC300... I have four resonators installed on my SC400 to keep down the noise and it is still some what loud....The resonators I use are circular straight thru stainless steel high flowing resonators that are designed simular to the mufflers themselves...Purchased them off of ebay for like $50 each...They do not take away performance from what I can tell and do help reduce exhaust noise....

Oval mufflers and oval resonators will reduce exhaust sounds greatly but also take away some performance...There is a give and a take with these different types of muffers and that is fact.

When comparing oval high preformance mufflers to straight thru performance mufflers there is a noticeable difference made in power with the straight thru's....I tested that theory on my SC400 and was amazed at how well the straight thru mufflers flowed in comparison..Never went back to my dynomax oval mufflers which I had on my SC4 car before I went with the Megan N1 straight thru mufflers...Even with the set of 4 resonators installed I still believe the Megan N1 straight thru mufflers far out perform any of the high performance oval mufflers....

Last edited by jibbby; 10-30-06 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 10:34 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

Has anyone tried muffler eliminators on either a 300 or a 400 instead of adding an aftermarket muffler?
Old 11-29-06, 03:25 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

I've decided to try this new Billet-Stainless-Steel boost activated cut-out and keep the stock exhaust. This way, I can get the best of both worlds (quiet/comfort and performance when I need it)
Old 11-29-06, 08:44 PM
dsa2402
Driver

Default Flow Masters

I am riding with some flow masters with some nice stainless tips. The sound really nice. No drone on the highway and just a good overall tone with out being too loud. Def has turned some heads though!!
Old 11-29-06, 08:46 PM
dsa2402
Driver

Default Hey

Originally Posted by BiZ
Has anyone tried muffler eliminators on either a 300 or a 400 instead of adding an aftermarket muffler?
I have... If you are talking about just a muffler delete kinda thing. I liked it a lot but i decided to switch to something else!!!
Old 12-04-06, 06:57 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
Thank God, I live in a NO-SMOG county where cats are not required and it's completely legal to have no cats on your car . It seems to me like the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers are the best compromise for my needs.
um, just a point of clarification here... no where in the US is it legal to not have cats on a car that originally came with them... a proper state inspection in any part of Texas should include a visual inspection of the catalytic converter... sure, certain counties add on the smog test, but, even non-smog counties still require a catalytic converter...

federal law even states the removal of a functioning smog device (even if replaced) is illegal, it has to be non-functioning before it can even be replaced...
Old 02-08-07, 06:34 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

sc400 with flowmasters....sounds incredible
Old 02-08-07, 08:11 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going with the Magnaflows again . I will be using straight pipe too.
Old 02-09-07, 03:36 PM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXCELLENT CHOICE- Magnaflows ROCK
Old 02-09-07, 04:16 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Dejacky,

FYI, Joe's Muffers in Addison installed Dynomax Ultra Flo SS mufflers (P/N 17272) on my SC (http://www.dynomax.com/ecat/ecat.asp?page=176). The mufflers are double offset, straight through. He (Joe) also built a custom "Y" pipe from an HKS midpipe to the mufflers including custom hangers and even cut/welded the OEM tips back on for a very good price. The car is well into the 700s and sounds perfect for my taste - it's agressive but very quiet.

Pic is attached; however, it was taken prior to getting the "Y" pipe installed. You can see the resonator joints forward of the mufflers.

-scott
Attached Thumbnails Dynomax vs. Magnaflow muffler opinions-magnaflow_exhaust_sc300.jpg  

Last edited by motorheaddown; 02-09-07 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-09-07, 06:58 PM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^

that is a sick sleeper setup you got there
Old 03-27-07, 10:22 AM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Default sc400 mufflers

I voted for other... I used a N1 Can type muffler with 2.25-2.5 piping. Its very quiet but it has this deep growl at low rpms. You can barely hear the mufflers from the interior when driving / cruizing.

I posted this in my other thread and I'll post it here again.

Vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqIsOFrx6Us
Old 03-31-07, 10:26 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Magnaflows and custom 3inch-->Dual 2.5inch exhaust has been installed. Exhaust is awesome! It's only 5% louder than stock, has no droning, and gives me all the flow benefits with minimal noise AND sounds great! plug and play JackyPerformance exhaust to be availabe soon!

Quick Reply: Dynomax vs. Magnaflow muffler opinions