Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

After Headgasket replacement: Engine burning coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 02:29 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water works because the cooling system is (or atleast should be) under pressure which raises the boiling point of water to the point which it wont boil off. Anti-freeze does add some cooling capability along with keeping crap from rusting (iron block), but really isnt needed in the summer time (ie the name). My guess is you wont be getting too far before you decide to fix it like it should be done (which probably involves getting the head resurfaced).
Old 05-03-06, 02:54 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
Water works because the cooling system is (or atleast should be) under pressure which raises the boiling point of water to the point which it wont boil off. Anti-freeze does add some cooling capability along with keeping crap from rusting (iron block), but really isnt needed in the summer time (ie the name). My guess is you wont be getting too far before you decide to fix it like it should be done (which probably involves getting the head resurfaced).
Looks like your right. I drove it for 5min earlier and it started overheating again. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to why or when. I've tried to replicate it with the a/c on, a/c off, heat on, heat off, car idling, car at 1500rpm, car at 3000rpm.

After the 5min trip where it was overheating a lot I started it up and it was stumbling and white smoke came out the back again. Drove it back and didn't overheated for about 1minute (1 notch above where it should be), then came back down quickly. It didn't appear to have anything to do with whether I was going ot sitting, except it seems that if I'm sitting uphill it'll start heating up, thats all I've gotten so far, but I'm still not even 100% sure on that.

What confuses me so much is the car has driven fine for a week and a half w/o starting problems, smoke problems, overheating problems, etc. And yesterday is when tehy started happening again. One would think that if they filled up the radiator to the proper level it would last that long again.

I did notice whenever I take the radiator cap off there is always steam coming out of it. I know its hot fluid and its under pressure but I'll try getting a gallon of distilled water later today putting it in there and driving for a little to see what happens. The car never seems to overheat to dangerous levels, just a notch to notch and a half above where it needs to be.

I was considering that the thermostat the guy put in (a no-name part from a place in the middle of no-where), wasn't exactly right or doesn't open at the temperature it needs to and its starting to show the problems now. Except I dont think that could be the case when it appears as though I'm still getting water into the engine.
Old 05-03-06, 03:00 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I wouldnt make a big deal out of the distilled water thing either, especailly since you already know you are gonna have to replace the eingine anyhow. Just pull out the water hose.
Old 05-03-06, 03:05 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Well the problem is, and I didn't mention it clearly, is that I'm in Lexington right now, my last day of the semester is Friday, and I was planning on driving home after that.

This is why I need to do something to at least make it home. It looks like I'll be replaceing the engine anyways so as long as I can make it back, thats what I need to do.
Old 05-03-06, 07:27 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

It has to be a blown headgasket again. I took the oil cap off and there is steam coming from the oil cap...which means there is water in there.

Steam seems to be constantly pouring out of the radiator cap or overflow container.

I really dont know if I can make it if I fill it up and drive it calmly.
Old 05-03-06, 07:43 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Did you check your oil for coolant? Make sure not to drive very far if its mixing because it will spin a rod bearing pretty quickly if you have a coolant/oil mix.
Old 05-03-06, 08:22 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Yeah, oil has coolant in it. The cap was steaming and I could see the water beading up on the cap.

I'll be renting a U-Haul truck and trailer (U-Haul says neither our 2000 Town & Country van or 2002 Escape can pull my 3600lb car). U-Haul has a trailer and truck that will pull my car (its the one that all 4 wheels are off the ground) for $254. Looks like thats my only option at this point. I'll see if I can keep it updated on how I turn out, but I may end up with a SC300 5spd for sale w/ a bad engine!!
Old 05-03-06, 08:28 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Yeah, oil has coolant in it. The cap was steaming and I could see the water beading up on the cap.

I'll be renting a U-Haul truck and trailer (U-Haul says neither our 2000 Town & Country van or 2002 Escape can pull my 3600lb car). U-Haul has a trailer and truck that will pull my car (its the one that all 4 wheels are off the ground) for $254. Looks like thats my only option at this point. I'll see if I can keep it updated on how I turn out, but I may end up with a SC300 5spd for sale w/ a bad engine!!
i hope you fix it.... if not let me know.
can i say that?
Old 05-03-06, 08:41 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Did you have your head resurfaced? I recommend that you do that before actually putting on the new headgasket. Putting on a new headgasket after having a blown one on a head that was not resurfaced can cause leaks. And since the motor has over heated a couple times it wouldnt hurt to spend the couple hundred dollars to have a machine shop fully clean it out and resurface it. costs about $200 for everything. Goodluck!
Old 05-03-06, 09:15 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

No, I didn;t have it resurfaced and I probably should have.

Do I need to get the engine block top resurfaced as well or just the head of the engine.

I may dive into it again and try that, but we'll have to see. I just want a car that works first, then I can fool with this one later.
Old 05-03-06, 09:30 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

No you dont really have to do the block. The gasket residue is pretty easy to scrape off from the top of the block. Its only the head you have to get taken care of.
Old 05-03-06, 10:33 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tim when you get back into town call me at 615 579 6482. I have a few spare motors we can toss one in we'll work something out. Peace

615 579 6482

Amir
Old 05-03-06, 11:39 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Sweet man, I really appreciate it.

This is not what I needed exam week!!!!!! One more stressor when this week is already one of the 2 most stressful weeks of the year (the other being first semester finals!!!)
Old 05-04-06, 03:52 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

My block did need to be resurfaced or decked once the car overheated, I had two headgaskets replaced then we found the block was warped.
Old 05-04-06, 04:31 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Are you guys serious you've been running water? I thought that would heat up waayyy too fast. Should I just have some distilled water in my trunk to refill it now instead of filling it back up with the 50/50 coolant and water?

I know its not really an answer your looking for but I just had to clear something up.

Assuming you have a properly pressurised cooling system, running straight water with water wetter, or straight distilled water would actually increase warm up times for your motor. Water is the best heat transfering substance in the world. And when you mix it with 50/50 coolant you actually hamper its cooling abilities. Water's specific heat capacity actually goes down roughly 20 percent or so when mixed with coolant!

Living in arizona. Both my vehicles use distilled water and water wetter only.

Quick Reply: After Headgasket replacement: Engine burning coolant