Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question on 1UZFE cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 10:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by soarer479
when you own a shop you tend to learn alot more about tuning devices as well as the company that makes them. they are crap because of all the faulty equipment ive dealt with and the company itself is worthless as far as anyone there being able to help any customer. why do you think turbonetics dropped them and stopped including them in all their newer turbokits, they didnt last long. i would suggest mega squirt, microtech, haltech or even hks f con v pro or greddy emanage ultimate. overall uni chip is PITA to tune compared to any others listed. i speak only from experiance. for those of you who dont plan on tuning yourself good luck finding a tuner who likes to or even will tune on unichip. ive tuned alot of tundras on the unichip and it really is worthless check the tundra forums and see for yourself how many ppl there like it.

I have talked to Unichip many times, Jack, Tony and Josh at Unichip are always available to come to the phone.

To correct something you said, it has to be tuned by a Unichip tuner for the most part. There are a few who have the softwear that are not authorized dealers, but thats part of the incorrect tunning problem. Unichip does not like to support NON Unichip tuners for just this reason. A untrained tuner and disatisfied customer results. Like any other product, its as good as the Tuner. Unichip tuners are trained by Unichip.

Here is a "unbiased" test - http://www.dynoperformance.com/artic...?article_id=10

PS: I have looked at the Tundra Forum before and there have been very few problems at all compared to the comments about Greedy Emanage at the different Froums.

Last edited by jgscott; 05-11-06 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-11-06, 10:04 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a UniChip on top of my office desk waiting for tuning.... Did the research and eveyone, including Unichip will tell you that you have to have experience or training inorder to properly tune. Once tuned once, they are good to go for life.

Trial and Error on the Unichip leads most ppl to frustation, hints negative feelings. Talk to an Authorized dealer and you will have Rave rave reviews.

The grass is greener on the other side...
Old 07-27-06, 09:14 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Can you guys recommend a unichip tuner in Nor*Cal. I really want to get this installed soon. Mine has been sitting in my apartment for about a year now.

I found a shop in Sac, and like they guy said a few posts back.... He doesn't work with them anymore. His parner told me that he wouldn't work on it and they never called me back.
Old 07-27-06, 10:38 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Apexi piggy is crap too...I have had problems with that unit and I did use a professional tuner from APEXI at TM Engineering.......,

I have always been a fan of the Greddy E-Manage systems... I have heard a few Supra owners have had trouble in the past with the Greddy's.. I have always gotten peek results with using the Gretty E-Manage in the past with Domestic V8 engines, so I cannot speak intellegently for what the Greddy E-manage will do for the SC3's, and SC4's V8 Lexus's...

The undisputed king of the piggy-back ECU's is the Perfect Power SMT7 piggy back system..Has the ability to wipe your **** for you...many options.... It's as close to a stand alone ECU as your going to get....This topic was discussed on Lextreme.com forums and the Perfect Power SMT7 piggy was voted as being the best...Unichip was not even ahead of the Split Second if I can remember correctly....

I am going with the SMT7 piggy for sure on my next piggy back upgrade with out question......That will be soon as I am .getting pissed off with my current Apexi...No timing, just A/F tuning...

As you know fellas it is hard to keep a final tune over long periods of time with the ever learning stock ECU.....That is why Stand Alone ECU's are the best and most costly...

Last edited by jibbby; 07-27-06 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-27-06, 12:58 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jibbby
Apexi piggy is crap too...I have had problems with that unit and I did use a profession tuner from APEXI.....,

I have always been a fan of the Greddy E-Manage systems... I have heard a few Supra owners have had trouble in the past with the Greddy's.. I have always gotten peek results with using the Gretty E-Manage in the past with Domestic V8 engines, so I cannot speak intellegently for what the Gretty E-manage will do for the SC3's, and SC4's V8 Lexus's...

The undisputed king of the piggy-back ECU's is the Perfect Power SMT7 piggy back system..Has the ability to wipe your **** for you...many options.... It's as close to a stand alone ECU as your going to get....This topic was discussed on Lextreme.com forums and the Perfect Power SMT7 piggy was voted as being the best...Unichip was not even ahead of the Split Second if I can remember correctly....

I am going with the SMT7 piggy for sure on my next piggy back upgrade with out question......That will be soon as I am .getting pissed off with my current Apexi...No timing, just A/F tuning...

As you know fellas it is hard to keep a final tune over long periods of time with the ever learning stock ECU.....That is why Stand Alone ECU's are the best and most costly...
The Apexi SAFC works great for what it does. Don't blame Apexi for your inability to read the side of a box.

I also highly doubt you had your car professionally tuned since you don't have any dyno numbers.

And since when did the pre-96 ECU have a self learning ability? You have any proof to your claims?
Old 07-27-06, 02:13 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by verylost
The Apexi SAFC works great for what it does. Don't blame Apexi for your inability to read the side of a box.

I also highly doubt you had your car professionally tuned since you don't have any dyno numbers.
gotta agree, the s-afc can do well what its intended to do, a basic tuning piggyback for those on a budget. To really take advantage of it though you have to get it professionally tuned on a dyno with a wideband. Tuning it on the street doesn't do much when you have no real feedback to go off of. An Apex'i tuner would tell you the same. Any problems with the unit usually pop up from user error.
Old 07-27-06, 02:22 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cannonbear
gotta agree, the s-afc can do well what its intended to do, a basic tuning piggyback for those on a budget. To really take advantage of it though you have to get it professionally tuned on a dyno with a wideband. Tuning it on the street doesn't do much when you have no real feedback to go off of. An Apex'i tuner would tell you the same. Any problems with the unit usually pop up from user error.
Thanks for the support, I'm forced to chime in every now and then to let unsuspecting new members realize jibby's fiction.
Old 07-27-06, 04:48 PM
jibbby

Very lost you can kiss my ****!!!!!. Fiction you say, and basically you are calling me a liar?

OK - If I must state the facts here it goes..... I did not read the side of the Apexi box when it was installed because Todd at Tm Engineering suggested the Apexi and installed it for me per his recommendation...,Does it advance timing or retard it like I would want it to? NO, tt does not... Now, I understand that the Apexi is not made to perform that function..That is not what I am talking about.....Let me ask you this VeryLOST..., is the Apexi suppose to break and malfunction after the final tune?..Because it broke on me.....Is suppose to do that?. Also, Todd did not give me the dyno sheet after dyno tuning and just told me I had great numbers for the mods that I had on the car at that time...186 and 278whp is what he told me with and without the nos almost 2 years ago with only mufflers and the piggy ECU....My car is so much faster today..... ....Talk to Todd if you think this is all fiction that I am making up and see if he can remember...... My Apexi piggy then shortly after screwed up my ECU, and my tuning changed over time too... Took it back to Todd for dyno tuning and the repair, and what he did is disconnect the Apexi to correct the problem and never told me...That is fact and not fiction...The Apexi system failed or Todds wiring/tuning job at TM Engineering failed and again that is not fiction that is fact ... I did not want to tell that story but you dragged it out of me..

Looking to start something my good friend? You are very lost so don't try it.. Have you ever heard of the Perfect Power SMT6- and or SMT7? I didn't think so...Stick with your Apexi and tune that A/F ratio til your blue in the face.. I don't care...Keep chiming in as you feel necessary with your derogatory comments, but I would prefer that you would chime out....Might keep us both from getting suspended....

Last edited by jibbby; 07-27-06 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-27-06, 06:56 PM
jibbby

Originally Posted by LexAnt
I was wondering if changing the cams would require any ecu changes to timing?

The stock specs on a 1UZFE obd1 are:
224 intake 0.301" lift
229 exhaust 0.305" lift

if i go to cams specc'ed:
264 intake 0.330" lift
272 exhaust 0.335" lift

so would the timing get messed up? or would the ecu be able to compensate the timing on it's own without additional electronics?

thanks

*edit: also any idea on how emissions or idle would change?

What Cams are you going for? Are you going for the KELFORD cams? Or a domestic supplier if there is one for the 1UZ-FE motors? If so I would like to know.... I have wanted to upgrade the stock cams for a while now, but with the rev cut off limit being 7200rpm's or so on the Sc400's I am a little nervous to get a very aggressive cam setup...Why you ask? ...I don't want to be riding the nos redlining with the new cams and have a fuel cut happen and the motor seize up.......That is another hinderance with the stock SC400's ECU which some do not know about...FUEL CUT OFF at 7200rpm's.... That is fact too and not fiction....

I think a mild set of performance cams to bring out more mid range power would be great....Lextreme is in the works of manufacturing a set of 4 cams (regrinds) for around $400-$500 available for purchase soon, and I am waiting patiently.....Just a little more info that I am trying to share with others.........

Kelford cams have been known to give the 1UZ-FE motor up to 45 more horsepower.... The owner at Kelford had shared that information with me in cooresponding emails....Not too bad if you ask me...

Last edited by jibbby; 07-28-06 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-28-06, 02:35 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Very lost you can kiss my ****!!!!!. Fiction you say, and basically you are calling me a liar?

OK - If I must state the facts here it goes..... I did not read the side of the Apexi box when it was installed because Todd at Tm Engineering suggested the Apexi and installed it for me per his recommendation...,Does it advance timing or retard it like I would want it to? NO, tt does not... Now, I understand that the Apexi is not made to perform that function..That is not what I am talking about.....Let me ask you this VeryLOST..., is the Apexi suppose to break and malfunction after the final tune?..Because it broke on me.....Is suppose to do that?. Also, Todd did not give me the dyno sheet after dyno tuning and just told me I had great numbers for the mods that I had on the car at that time...186 and 278whp is what he told me with and without the nos almost 2 years ago with only mufflers and the piggy ECU....My car is so much faster today..... ....Talk to Todd if you think this is all fiction that I am making up and see if he can remember...... My Apexi piggy then shortly after screwed up my ECU, and my tuning changed over time too... Took it back to Todd for dyno tuning and the repair, and what he did is disconnect the Apexi to correct the problem and never told me...That is fact and not fiction...The Apexi system failed or Todds wiring/tuning job at TM Engineering failed and again that is not fiction that is fact ... I did not want to tell that story but you dragged it out of me..

Looking to start something my good friend? You are very lost so don't try it.. Have you ever heard of the Perfect Power SMT6- and or SMT7? I didn't think so...Stick with your Apexi and tune that A/F ratio til your blue in the face.. I don't care...Keep chiming in as you feel necessary with your derogatory comments, but I would prefer that you would chime out....Might keep us both from getting suspended....
Who owns the car? You or Todd or Apexi? Take some responsibility and stop blaming Todd and Apexi. You should have done your research before paying for your mods.

Am I looking to start something? I already have. Remember how I said I was witholding information from you? I knew before hand that your header install would cost a bundle. I also know why your car is hesitating. I can save you some money if I felt like explaining what further problems you are going to run into, but I don't.

I am solely here to protect other members from your mistakes.
Old 07-28-06, 09:39 AM
jibbby

Verylost you are such a nice guy, with friends like you who needs enemies..

Save your opinions as they really are not needed for my car fixes.. ...I got the answers I needed.....I have many smart forum friends whom are willing to help me out, so your withholding of your valuable info makes me laugh........My car will run just fine without your two cents.... Thanks for nothing anyway.....

Also, I share any and all information with everyone and am trying to help people out so they don't go thru the same problems I went thru....Read some of my threads and you will see that...the last thing I want to do is offer bad advise...I really don't know what your problem is Verylost....

Verylost you shouldn't be hate'n it's bad for you blood pressure.. Save your vast knowledge and experience for someone who is willing to listen, because I know I am not.... Please do us both a favor chime out or talk about the thread topic and not me and my car...I don't care to get into it with you. because this does not help anyone.....If you don't like me that is fine I can live with that......I can't make friends with everyone even though I try...The topic is about CAMS for the 1uz-fe engine and not jibby's car trouble......

Once again for the record -

The Apexi broke and malfuctioned more then once, so I am blaming it on the Apexi unit I owned and not Todd and his pro tuner when I think it over.. Todd disconnected it because it was mafunctioning and he and his pro tuner could not get it right.........Read the posts entirely and then comment oh wise one... ...

I still love you man,,,now give me a kiss before I start to t

Last edited by jibbby; 07-28-06 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-28-06, 03:17 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

the last thing I want to do is offer bad advise...I really don't know what your problem is Verylost....
The first thing you usually offer is bad advice. Remember the torque converter advice you offered to the guy with the nitrous. If he were stupid enough to listen to you, you would have cost him at least $500 and made his quarter mile times worse.

I don't care about the crap you post in other forums, but I do care what you post here. You consistently mislead people with your advice here which will end up costing members money and making their cars worse.
Whenever you post crap, I will always be here to correct it.
Old 07-28-06, 05:19 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Verylost you don't recommend installing a torque converter for the sc400?
Old 07-28-06, 07:34 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
Verylost you don't recommend installing a torque converter for the sc400?
I totally recommend the torque converter.

However, I do not recommend a torque converter coupled with a nitrous system without a progressive controller as in the case of another member here on Clublexus. This was the case in which Jibby prescribed a torque converter for a member who had no traction off the line to being with. Traction would have been as elusive as the 4 spotted dodo.
Old 07-28-06, 08:01 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Sure. I see what your saying.

How do most progressive controllers work these days? Do they click the selenoids on and off extremely fast at first, and slow down clicking, until they're finally on constantly?

I've seen boxes that allow the selenoids to open only after a set rpm but I've never used one. I used a WOT switch with mine and an arm/disarm switch. I'd click that switch after I hit 2500 rpm in 1st gear and use it solid for the rest of the run. Nitrous at low RPM hits soooo hard but it's sketch on cast pistons and stock rings IMO.

I wish I had traction problems. I need to get my TC installed.

Quick Reply: Question on 1UZFE cams