Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Chevy swap in LEXUS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 03:04 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
This is another generic pic of the motor......One other thing that I would bet on is that all the Turbo'd Supra's, SC,LS,GS etc...would end up on a flat bed truck from break down before this gm 572 motor would... What could possibly happen to this monster V8 motor? A carburator problem maybe? A turn of a tiny little adjustement screw and you are off and running again... Oh how the imagination can wonder at times...See ya
Lets at least compare something semi simillar. You are comparing a 572 cubic inch big block v8 (that doesn't even come in a factory car) that weights a ton, which will probably make the lexus noise heavy, to a 183 cubic inch inline 6 factory equipped motor. If a stock 600hp motor isn't more reliable than a modified inline 6 that makes the same amount of power, Chevy motors would really suck *** lol.

If you think the 572 is the most powerful base street motor for the lexo, you should check out the Falconer V12 800 HP, 780 ft-lb Torque, 600 cid and runs on PUMP GAS weighing in at only 500lbs as pictured. This is not too far feteched for the work needed to shoe horn the big block into a lexo. If your going to go through all that trouble, mind as well go for broke .

BiZ: I agree. The LSx motor seem to be the better choice. Its just a good pacakaged engine with the points mentioned by you. Im persoanlly sticking to my supra tt motor which is plently stout for me . I love seeing v8 owners reactions when my lexus blows by them while i give them a big smile with my measly 183ci motor .
Old 05-05-06, 04:21 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

If you think the 572 is the most powerful base street motor for the lexo, you should check out the Falconer V12 800 HP, 780 ft-lb Torque, 600 cid and runs on PUMP GAS weighing in at only 500lbs as pictured.
geee.... that sounds familiar
Old 05-05-06, 08:13 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Ok, as advertised the strongest V8 street motor...... now does that sound better? I should have been more specific..... I grew up working on small block Chevy's 283,327,350,383 etc.. once in a while I have to re-visit my roots...While I absolutely love my 32 valve v8 and my 24 valve straight six Toyota motors... I do remember the brute force of the 454, 460 Ford and Chevy big blocks.. You can pull one of those motors out of an old Caddy or Lincoln for dirt and throw some cams, an Edelbrock/Holley 850CFM Carb and intake manifold and get them burning up the track in a light weight car swap... I have seen them make 600bhp non AFI with just that and exhaust.. Those motors can be quiet if the exhaust is setup for such, just look at the 70's caddy's they are as quiet as our sc's.... This 572ci with the same block size as the 454ci motors just lit my eyes up for the deal that was presented to me, that is all....Also in contrary to the above post, I do think you can swap in an "older big block" motor in an sc for relatively cheap or expensive depending on your skills and tastes....

Again the weight difference between the 1uz-fe motor and this GM ZZ572 big block is only 200lbs dry....that is doable and the weight can be countered with a carbon fiber hood, and few other little things... The measurements are tight but it will fit, believe it or not.... Custom flat headers would be the biggest and most likely (restrictive) challenge with the swap... Like I said I am not going to do this swap but one day I may give it a try. because I do think it is doable....
Old 05-06-06, 01:27 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
not ricy, mullety It would be kinda cool though haha. I'd put it in an old RX7 man.
Please don't put in a RX-7 the only thing that belongs is a rotory. I hate the LS1 swaped FD's. Only engine swap that I ever liked in the RX-7 was the 20b(4 rotors). As for the chevy swap in the lexus....why would you really want to? You can make more HP off a 2JZ-GTE for cheaper and much easier. Go drop that beast of an engine into what it belongs in...American muscle.
Old 05-08-06, 02:45 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

theres a guy here doing a 350 small block into an oldskool rx7, like 79' or something, and hes using nissan pathfinder or xterra (one of those) headers because the way they are designed they clear very well.
Old 05-08-06, 04:38 PM
jibbby

Oh I know it's very possible to drop a small block and Th400 tranny in an Sc or LS Lexus...I am very suprised no one has tried it on the forums....That seems like a very doable swap to me.... I just love the 1UZ-FE engines too much and don't have it in me for a small block swap. However the 572 big block coming in with over 600hp base got me very curious and at a good price....... That would have been something to see...
Old 05-09-06, 08:34 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

i think its possible i just put a 302 in a honda civic so i think u could make it work
Old 05-09-06, 09:02 AM
jibbby

Which newer motor would you like in your SC?.....The Dodge Hemi, Chevy Vortec, Ford Trinton, etc...... These newer American V8 motors are built well and would not be so bad sitting under the hood of an SC and mod'd up...I kinda like these new Dodge Hemi's, look what that motor can do in the New Jeep Grand Cherokee.. An AWD SUV doing 0-60 in well under 5 seconds and probably in the rain....That just not fair....
Old 02-08-07, 07:38 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um the chevy would just be much easier to work on for one. Im building a 350 and thinking of throughin it in an sc. Go with a carb your not going to need to run many electronics...