Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installing my Walbro fuel pump -(I have a problem)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 12:59 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing my Walbro fuel pump -(I have a problem)

I' ve encountered a problem with the installation of my Walbro fuel pump. After install it wont start, just a clicking noise. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what i'm doing wrong.
I'm guessing its my wiring?
I had to cut my old connector and use the one that came with the pump, because my old connector wouldnt fit the new pump.
I was pretty sure i connected the correct wires , But i was getting pretty tired last night , so perhaps i F'd up and did it backwards.Should i go ahead and switch the wires and see if that works?
The colors of the old wires are : 1 greenish blue and 1 back the wires on the new connector are 1 red and 1 black.
Can someone please tell me wich way to connect is correct? I would just go ahead and switch what i did but not if there is another possible problem i am having.
Could there be anything else ive missed here?
-Thanks
Old 05-10-06, 03:08 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Heres a pic of how i have them connected. Does it look right???
Old 05-10-06, 03:11 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Heres another one , with the pump too.
Old 05-10-06, 03:28 PM
supra_trd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people connected the RED wired directly to 12V when installed new Supra TT or Walbro fuel pump on NA-T setup.
Old 05-10-06, 03:45 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by supra_trd
Most people connected the RED wired directly to 12V when installed new Supra TT or Walbro fuel pump on NA-T setup.
Hey thanks for the suggestion.
Just to make sure i understand.... I should bypass the green wire altogether, and connect the red to where the green wire is currently attached on that round plate?
Old 05-10-06, 08:04 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what you have is what i did.

if you disconnectued the fuses in the trunk before the install like the manual says to do, make sure you put em back that had me first time i tried starting.

clicking sounds like a battery problem though. check ur batt
Old 05-10-06, 10:41 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ConSynX
what you have is what i did.

if you disconnectued the fuses in the trunk before the install like the manual says to do, make sure you put em back that had me first time i tried starting.

clicking sounds like a battery problem though. check ur batt
Thanks, Well I was going off the directions included with the pump , and Beans write up. even though i do have the manual.
i had pulled the EFI , But NOT the wires in the trunk. Wich may be the problem? I even redid the wiring as suggested earlier. And still same thing.
I also agree with you on the battery. Ive been having lights dimming for a little while anyhow. But i think i may have drained it trying to get it to start.
What im wondering is , Do i need to prime the pump to repressurize the fuel system?
Old 05-10-06, 11:26 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

no priming

when i did mine i did it like that. Hook up all the fuses and you should be ready to go. check that battery of yours and get back to us
Old 05-11-06, 08:57 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Is that the gss342 i see in the picture? Thought we were supposed to get the gss341?
Old 05-11-06, 10:08 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chitwnsazn
Is that the gss342 i see in the picture? Thought we were supposed to get the gss341?

Hmm..... good eye , it sure looks like it .....I will have to look into that. I wonder how different they would be?
This sure has turned out to be just a big PITA . ...After i tried redoing the wires the 4th time last night , inhaling the gas fumes for 5 hours in the 98 degrees heat . I swear when it didnt start, i came so close to chucking it down the street. ........ I would have paid the extra $ for the stock pump at the dealer rather than deal with this. But - Oh well....
It looks like i'll be boarding the shame train to work for a couple days......
Its too busy at work til Sat, so i wont have the time to figure this out myself til then. I have a mechanic friend coming by tomorrow to check it out though. So hopfully he can figure it out. Thanks again guys for all the help , I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-11-06, 10:09 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

u never got back to us on the condition of the battery, will the motor crank over?
Old 05-11-06, 10:30 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xirforever
u never got back to us on the condition of the battery, will the motor crank over?
Looks like we posted at the same time.
Well I had to work today . Since his is my only car , so i had to catch a bus at 7 am , And i didnt get home til about 630 pm . And pretty much the same the next 2 days also.
But someone will be by to look at it while im at work . Unless its something simple he wont be able to fix it for me , but hopefully he can at least figure it out .
Old 05-12-06, 12:52 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Latest?????

Jonny
Old 05-12-06, 08:53 PM
GRSC300
Rookie

your wiring looks good you might of blown the fuel pump fuse so check that and also you will need to bypass the 2 thick wires on the fuel pump control unit on the driver side rear quater panel by doing that it will give your pump constant 12v, if the pump still doesn't work try the factory one becasuse you might just have a defective new pump

good luck
Old 05-13-06, 09:16 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i've heard about bypassing the FP control unit, but i honestly never did that.
don't seem to have any problems.
i actually run really rich, if bypassing the control unit is a fix i'll get right on it, but ???

Quick Reply: Installing my Walbro fuel pump -(I have a problem)