Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

help on horsepower gains

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 02:43 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of the day, turbo is going to be your best path for power. Whether it be going NA-T or doing a swap. To get the amount of power out of a NA that you could get out of a NA-T would be alot more expensive. If you just want a nice gain in power to make you happy for awhile then just get some nitrous. For right now I would just change out your exhaust, do a BFI (search for that), and a SAFC2 then go to a dyno and tune it. That way you know where you are at power wise. Then just start investing/saving up for a turbo kit, or piece it together.
Old 05-20-06, 09:44 AM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual conversion?

manual conversion....how hard is it to do....ive been looking it up for a few days now and i just cant find much on it at all.......i was just involved in a hit and run and i ran up a curb and dropped my tran....soo im going 2 go ahead and get a new one and i would like to make it a 5 speed.....hard thing to do?
Old 05-20-06, 12:58 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Originally Posted by laxdude362
At the end of the day, turbo is going to be your best path for power. Whether it be going NA-T or doing a swap. To get the amount of power out of a NA that you could get out of a NA-T would be alot more expensive. If you just want a nice gain in power to make you happy for awhile then just get some nitrous. For right now I would just change out your exhaust, do a BFI (search for that), and a SAFC2 then go to a dyno and tune it. That way you know where you are at power wise. Then just start investing/saving up for a turbo kit, or piece it together.
I've been running nos for over a year and I am still happy... For one, how often are you going to race on the streets or track? With NOS or Nitrous and an automatic bottle opener nos is great...I used a 15lb nos bottle for a month,.shot after shot...and it lasts.....When ever I need the power it is there....AFI is better but way more costly and way more problems....Another plus is even though you pay to fill up the nos bottles, the NA engine running nos is going to run on less fuel regularly then a big Turbo'd same engine. With larger injectors sucking in all that extra fuel all the time the fuel costs are probably not that far apart.....Also with nos your car remains reliable like stock, no breakdowns from installing an aftermarket turbo, frequent tunnng, etc... Also passing smog emissions is a nightmare with an aftermarket AFI system, with nos I passed 6 months ago no problem in California......

Don't get me wrong I would rather be supercharged or Turbo'd but NITROUS is actually not all that bad of an alternative at all and Nitrous won't destroy your engine like everyone seems to thinks..... .Get a 100hp or 150hp nos shot installed professionally for $1000-$1500 with a heating element and automatic bottle opener and I promise you will be suprised and pleased for a long time.... With that and those other mods I mentioned in an earlier post your SC will never get blown away again, unless you race cars like the new Z06 Vette, Vipers, Porche turbo's, and you still won't get destroyed but you will get beat,,, etc... I can beat out just about all the other cars except for those big boys..... Hopefully I can change that soon...

Cost benifits -My 1992 sc400 is 95% restored and looks and drives nice, even in todays standards. I can keep up with the NEWER stock Vette's...Beat out all the GT Mustangs, SS Camaro's etc... All this was done for around $16,000 total and that includes the purchase price of my car which was originally $8,500 two years ago. This also includes a great paint job, new leather, and all mods..... Tell me this is not a good thing for the money invested and I will say that you are lying.. Oh that cost also includes a improved stereo system, amp...and fat rear Z rated tires and so much more........ .
Attached Thumbnails help on horsepower gains-picture-104.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 05-20-06 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-21-06, 05:06 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drop in a 1JZ manual motorset... Easssy drop-in plug and play swap. 280HP with Factory reliablity.
Old 05-21-06, 07:31 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
Drop in a 1JZ manual motorset... Easssy drop-in plug and play swap. 280HP with Factory reliablity.

YUP ! Here's your answer.
Old 05-22-06, 08:59 AM
jibbby

-Swaps are too involved and talk about onforseen problems...My friend just swapped that motor in and went with a turbo setup in his SC400 and he is still trying to work out all the bugs...Much money and time later....Disagree with you guys....Not that easy as just droping it in....Ecu, exhaust, etc...all needs to be considered....Intercooling, Bellhousing adaptors, and thousands of dollars later.......No thanks... You can supercharge your 1UZ-FE Sc400 for around $5000, but cannot exceed the factory Hp limits of stock internals and tranny...Twin turbo's are another option and headache if you ask me.....

Or you can just go out and lease or buy one of these Z06 Corvette's and blow away all the compitition and not need to mod anything
Attached Thumbnails help on horsepower gains-popup_ext_gallery08.jpg  
Old 05-22-06, 10:06 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Well..I'm only talking from experience. I'm in the middle of my 3rd 1JZ swap. The other 1JZ cars are driven everyday without any problems. With BPU they lay down 300 RWHP.

Doggy bring your car to NY and I'll do the swap for you. The cost for the 1JZ parts are around $2000 complete Motor, tranny, ECU, Intercooler and exhaust.

Last edited by Rising_Sun; 05-22-06 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-22-06, 10:17 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

jibby strikes again........hmmm more power on my SC or get a Z06 ...........
Old 05-22-06, 12:01 PM
jibbby

Cherplex is a being Cherplex again, too bad... .

Oh and it appears you misunderstood me again, and I wasn't speaking in the first person this time either The Z06 was a joke.. I am fully aware that most first generation SC owners can't even afford a Z06....

However, If you're rich and feel like getting a fantastic street sports car, I would suggest you consider the Corvette Z06, over the AMG's, Porsche'ss, etc.... I recently drove the Z06 briefly and I must say it is a dream of a sportscar.....I would dump my SC and even throw in my Toyota Land Cruiser in a heart beat for that car as bad as that sounds......Now have a nice day
Old 05-22-06, 04:51 PM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

jeeze ive always heard that NoS screws over your engine.....I mean does it? I would still like to get a lot out of the car.....Ive gone through the engine once, and i would prefer not to go through this one for a while.....
Old 05-22-06, 04:52 PM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

jibby......how much did it run you to re-do all the leather....did it yourself or sent it to someone?
Old 05-22-06, 05:32 PM
jibbby

Dooggie - First of all the I have been running nos and not Nitrous (just had to say that) for over a year almost daily on my 1992 Lexus sc400 with around 100,000 miles on it.. It runs better now then when I bought it...Doesn't use oil...These engines are almost designed perfectly for nos, I kid you not.... Believe me I had the same concerns too....Nos it for 100hp shot and no harm at all will come to your engine, I promise you that....... I would worry about it messing up your tranny before your engine....

Leather covers were bought for $700 on EBAY a year ago and had a local auto upholstery shop insall it both front and rear seat and center consol and addition lumbar support for $200. Looked and smelled like a new car...a perfect match of the originals.... I couldn't believe the new look of the car...Total cost $900...These were Lexus dealer leftovers.....Try Egay first and good luck...this is not cheap if you want real leather and the new look......
Attached Thumbnails help on horsepower gains-picture-105.jpg  
Old 05-22-06, 06:32 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doggydogsc
jibby......how much did it run you to re-do all the leather....did it yourself or sent it to someone?
NOS doesn't really screw up engines. As with almost every other machine, it's the user that screws it up

NOS is an option, but since you have a sc300, you have much better options. I'd suggest the path that Rising_sun has gone.

Don't listen to Jibby. He thinks you're talking about a sc400.
Old 05-23-06, 05:43 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jibbby
Dooggie - First of all the I have been running nos and not Nitrous (just had to say that) for over a year almost daily on my 1992 Lexus sc400 with around 100,000 miles on it.. It runs better now then when I bought it...Doesn't use oil...These engines are almost designed perfectly for nos, I kid you not.... Believe me I had the same concerns too....Nos it for 100hp shot and harm come to your engine, I promise you that....... I would worry about it messing up your tranny before your engine.... .

Hmmm.... I've never read NOS as a recommended additive from LEXUS? But the 1JZ was designed and engineered from TOYOTA for the Lexus SC. The JDM wire harness, motor mounts and exhaust connect to the SC without modifications. As hundreds of SC owners all ready know. Please take a poll and ask how many guys have completed the 1JZ swap as opposed to NOS.

I hope more people listen to Jibby and go the NOS route. They'll be the first to be destroyed by a BPU 1JZ. Keep spending more money making less HP. If I spent the same amount on my car that you did I'd make 600RWHP and dust Z06s.
Old 05-23-06, 07:56 AM
3rdLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
Well..I'm only talking from experience. I'm in the middle of my 3rd 1JZ swap. The other 1JZ cars are driven everyday without any problems. With BPU they lay down 300 RWHP.

Doggy bring your car to NY and I'll do the swap for you. The cost for the 1JZ parts are around $2000 complete Motor, tranny, ECU, Intercooler and exhaust.
i'm not doggy, but i'm in NY already yay.. how much would it be and how long would it take to do that swap :P

Quick Reply: help on horsepower gains