Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

help on horsepower gains

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 10:46 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Verylost is correct I can only speak for the !uz-fe engines in regards to Nitrous....The six bangers I would assume can handle a nos shot but probably and most likely not as well as the 1uz-fe V8 engines.......

I thought you had an sc400, my bad....and yes it is easier to introduce A.F.I. application to the straight six bangers...I have a straight six 4.5L motor with the 24 valves in my Toyota Landcruiser which I am considering turbo'ing.... Getting past emissions in California is my biggest road block with that in mind...

Rising sun - you will smoke the ZO6? I would like to see that even with your 600rwhp Sc300 or Supra...You may have the power to match it but I dought you have the traction, transmission and gearing to beat it out.......Do you own a Sc or Supra? A 600rwhp Supra maybe might take it....but no way will it blow it away....I can't see that happening...Just my thoughts.....

Lastly Rising Sun alot of the money I spent was on cosmetics, paint, leather and the car it's self and not on the mod'd power......The Torque converter, LSD, Nos, intake, Exhaust,, electric fans, new wiring, piggy Ecu, etc.. I am sure was less expensive then your 600rwhp AFI turbo setup even if you did it yourself.... You would still need forgies to support that kind of horsepower, and what about your SC300 tranny supporting 600rwhp, I don' t think so....Maybe you have the Supra with V160 tranny and motor which changes things up, but the original price of the Supra is going to far exceed the 1992 Sc400 origianal sales price.....

In any event 600whp is very impressive and very fast, Congrats...I wish my car was putting out 600whp that would be a blast.....

Last edited by jibbby; 05-23-06 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-23-06, 02:25 PM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

yea i mean im not to intrested in nos....i guess turbo is the real way to go at this point....greddy? HKS? Turbonetics? Boost Logic? Any suggestions? When i put turbos in, do i have to eliminate the cats or car they stay? is it hard mounting the intercooler?
Old 05-23-06, 06:54 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well as of now I'm about $9000 into my SC that's including the price I paid for the car. And I've also modified all aspects of the vehicle. Motor swap, interior, stereo (with DVD and digital rear camera), Paint, Wheels, brakes and suspension.

600 Rwhp can easily be achieved on the stock 2jz-ge block and it has been proven over and over again. No need for forged rods and pistons (Like the 1UZ would need). The R154 tranny will hold this kind of power (more details of this will be revealed in another soon to be post). Summer of 06 will be big for the SC community here on the East coast. All questions and doubts will be answered real soon.
Old 05-23-06, 07:27 PM
jibbby

That is news to me....Man I should have gone in your direction...Sheeeettt...... 600rwhp? That is impressive... I did not know they can support that much hp.....unbelievable... Still I am stuck with my V8 !uz-fe and going to push the stock motor to 425rwhp next week... That is about the maximum safe limit on a fine tuned 1uz-fe stock motor before the rods give way, the sc400 stock tranny can not even handle much more then 350rwhp.....Oh well too late for changes now.. Besides I bet you I could stay close to you 0-60mph in my current sc400, well maybe not...I would give it a try if you lived in LA... Anyway, I think you have a rock'in nice SC, congrates...

One last bonus I must state with the V8's is I just love the sound of the V8 motors compared to the straight six motor exhaust sounds......a little (sour grapes) for you...

However I still do not think you can beat out a z06 Corvette 0-60mph, maybe you can in quarter but not 0-60mph, traction and shifting you would suffer regardless of your massive horsepower....Just my thoughts...see ya.......
Old 05-24-06, 03:37 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jibbby
That is news to me....Man I should have gone in your direction...Sheeeettt...... 600rwhp? That is impressive... I did not know they can support that much hp.....unbelievable... Still I am stuck with my V8 !uz-fe and going to push the stock motor to 425rwhp next week... That is about the maximum safe limit on a fine tuned 1uz-fe stock motor before the rods give way, the sc400 stock tranny can not even handle much more then 350rwhp.....Oh well too late for changes now.. Besides I bet you I could stay close to you 0-60mph in my current sc400, well maybe not...I would give it a try if you lived in LA... Anyway, I think you have a rock'in nice SC, congrates...

One last bonus I must state with the V8's is I just love the sound of the V8 motors compared to the straight six motor exhaust sounds......a little (sour grapes) for you...

However I still do not think you can beat out a z06 Corvette 0-60mph, maybe you can in quarter but not 0-60mph, traction and shifting you would suffer regardless of your massive horsepower....Just my thoughts...see ya.......

Well good luck on putting down 425RWHP. Please take your car to the dyno and share your experience.

I've had the V8 rumble VS. turbo 6 discussion before. And if sounding fast is your cup of tea then so be it. I'd rather BE FAST then SOUND FAST. It's pretty common knowledge that our cars are not sprinters. WRXs and EVOs and can keep that honor, but SCs and supra are highway terrors. Nothing pleases me more than pulling on a C5 vette at 100+ MPH in my "old quiet Lexus"
Old 05-24-06, 05:15 PM
jibbby

Yes Sir rising sun I will......I don't understand why dyno's are so important to you guys, they really don't prove how fast your car is...They don't show how your gearing or drivetrain is setup do they? They don't tell you how much your car weighs with you in it do they? A dyno does not tell you what kind of suspension and traction you have does it?...

How about actual races, that is my dyno? I have atleast 20-30 good race stories with other new sports cars...M3 and M5 new BMW's, Standard new Vette's, Amg's, Porche's Mustangs, Camaro's turbo'd honda's you name it. Some races I won some I lost, but mostly I won out more then lost especially of late... etc...These races were all performed from a dead stop 0-60mph....Those races tell me how fast my car is with nos and without and not some dyno that probably is not all that accurate anyway.......You guys need to get off this Dyno thing...OVERRATED!!!! But yes I will be dyno'd soon when I install my new ECU and tune.... Oh, and who races starting at 70mph on the freeway? My car does very well 0-70mph and is pretty much a slug after that. Still faster then any stock Lexus after 70mph while running the nos.... ....That is how I have my Sc400 setup...

I give you perks and you give me slack, unbelievable.......

Last edited by jibbby; 05-28-06 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-28-06, 05:44 PM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

not that what i am about to say means anything....but i was driving my dads charger, and an SC drove up 2 me.....it was kinda gooked out....but it looked alright....well i was like maybe its stock and i can have some fun with it....I THOUGHT WRONG.....we were going adleast 70 or 80 and i couldnt see him in just a few seconds.....the charger is the r/t....super charged....chipped...exauste....and intake....its pretty damn quick....but i mean when you put it up next to a car like the SC and ur on the interstate....say bye...cause those things are GONE!

mat
Old 05-28-06, 06:00 PM
jibbby

I don't think the SC3 and 4's are that fast at all on the freeway unless you are turbo'd or something of that nature......Granted there not slow but a New Camaro, Mustang, or just about any other above average sports car will pull away from the stock SC on the freeway......

I have driven a new Charger with the Hemi, and they are ok fast but nothing super special....Oh and yes a new charger will pull away from the SC's on the freeway...Maybe not the 430's but the 400 all day long...Just my two bits....
Old 05-28-06, 06:01 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doggydogsc
not that what i am about to say means anything....but i was driving my dads charger, and an SC drove up 2 me.....it was kinda gooked out....but it looked alright....well i was like maybe its stock and i can have some fun with it....I THOUGHT WRONG.....we were going adleast 70 or 80 and i couldnt see him in just a few seconds.....the charger is the r/t....super charged....chipped...exauste....and intake....its pretty damn quick....but i mean when you put it up next to a car like the SC and ur on the interstate....say bye...cause those things are GONE!

mat
What the hell does gooked out mean?!?!
Old 05-28-06, 06:03 PM
jibbby

Same as riced out....
Old 05-29-06, 06:30 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doggydogsc
I need some major help on my SC.....what are some common horsepower gains that i could do to it besides turbo?
I think we are all on the same boat here. This is something some of us ask ourselves everyday. But after a while we give in and realize that with less money you can push out more power by going the Turbo route. And besides, you are located in Louisana so you wont have to worry about emissions.
Old 05-30-06, 03:51 PM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

Yea, what exactly is emissions?

When you turbo the lexus, is it still alright as an everyday driver? Do you twin turbo a lexus or single?
Old 05-30-06, 08:05 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

The Lexus SC300/400 is called the Toyota Soarer in Japan. But Toyota offers a third engine choice for our cars, the "1JZ-GTE" only available overseas. The lexus SC300/400 and the Toyota Soarers all come from the same manufacturing plant. All engines are compatable and very reliable. I drive my 1JZ swapped SC300 EVERYDAY without any worries.

Here's some info on the swap:

1JZ Swap

1jz-gte factory specs-

Displacement : 2491cc
Type : Twin Turbo Inline 6 Cyl
Valvetrain : Belt driven DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Fuel System : TCCS EFI, Premium Unleaded
Ignition System : Direct fire ignition
Combustion Chambers : Pent Roof
Compression Ratio : 8.5:1
Bore x Stroke : 86 x 71.5

Peak Power : 280PS (206 kW) @ 6200rpm
Peak Torque : 37.0 kgm (268 lb ft, 363 Nm) @ 4800rpm
Fuel Consumption : 210 g / PS*h @ 2000 rpm

Dimensions (LxWxH) : 860 x 670 x 665 mm (MTM)
: 845 x 670 x 665 mm (ATM)
Weight (complete) : 217kg
Turbos : CT12A (2x)
Compressor wheel : 37/54mm
Turbine wheel : 52/42mm
Boost : 0.60-0.69kg/cm2 (8.5 - 9.8psi)
Fuel Injectors : 380cc/min high impedance

Intake cam timing (o-c) : 3° BTDC - 41° ABDC
Exhaust cam timing (o-c) : 46° BBDC - 2° ATDC
Camshaft duration : 224 (in) 228 (ex)
Valve clearance cold : 0.15-0.25mm (in) 0.25-0.35mm (ex)
Spark plug : ND PK20TR11 / NGK BRK6EKPB11
Plug gap : 1.1mm (limit 1.3mm)
Base Ignition timing : 8-12 BTDC (jumper TE1,E1)
Idle rpm : 600-700
Engine Oil : SAE 10W30, API SH
Old 05-30-06, 08:31 PM
jibbby

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I think we are all on the same boat here. This is something some of us ask ourselves everyday. But after a while we give in and realize that with less money you can push out more power by going the Turbo route. And besides, you are located in Louisana so you wont have to worry about emissions.

For people with thin wallets that are seeking out noticeable power gains I would start like this -

1)BFI intake which costs close to nothing, may get a few ponies out of that but nothing noticeable..

2) Exhaust, Good flowing aftermarket mufflers, high flow cat with highflow Y's and or X pipes, and install some headers and with all that you will notice some really nice gains...

3) Piggy back ECU, to bring out the full potential of the motor...Increase A/F ratio...

4) Torque Converter

Do those 4 things and you will bring your stock sc to life...If you have a manual tranny disregard the torque converter...

Those are the big four for starter and should get you running with the 4.6L Mustangs, Camaro's, Infintiy G35's etc....

Last edited by jibbby; 05-31-06 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-31-06, 03:59 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jibbby
For people with thin wallets that are seeking out noticeable power gains I would start like this -

1)BFI intake which costs close to nothing, may get a few ponies out of that but nothing noticeable..

2) Exhaust, Good flowing aftermarket mufflers, high flow cat and headers and you will notice some really nice gains...

3) Piggy back ECU, to bring out the full potential of the motor...Increase A/F ratio...

4) Torque Converter

Do those 4 things and you will bring your stock sc to life...If you have a manual tranny disregard the torque converter...

Those are the big four for starter and should get you running with the 4.6L Mustangs, Camaro's, Infintiy G35's etc....
I think we are all on a budget. And we're all looking to cut corners, but it boils down to spending ~$1000 (Torque Converter is $900) to make ~20 HP or ~$2000 for a 1JZ and make 100 RWHP.

Quick Reply: help on horsepower gains