Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

help on horsepower gains

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 04:21 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
I think we are all on a budget. And we're all looking to cut corners, but it boils down to spending ~$1000 (Torque Converter is $900) to make ~20 HP or ~$2000 for a 1JZ and make 100 RWHP.
Old 05-31-06, 05:23 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you buy parts for your 1JZ if and when you need them? Can you run down to your local Autozone or Advance auto and get parts off the shelf?

And just as a side note 300- 400 rwhp is all that is needed for a good street car. Yeah it's great to make huge amounts of power, but where can you really use it? The last two cars I owned made 405rwhp/380rwtq and 440rwhp/460rwtq and were an absolute blast to drive on the street, but were traction limited. Any more power than that and you will be going through street tires on a monthly basis. And drag radials suck in the rain so they were not really an option here in FL.

So if a 100hp shot on SC400 can make that kind of power then thats all that is really needed. If a 1JZ +BPU can do the same then so be it. But I am pretty sure the NOS route on the 400 is a bit cheaper than a full 1JZ swap + BPU. If I had a 300 I would go for the swap hands down, but I have a 400 so the TC and NOS may be the route I take to get some more power. The swap is a bit more involved and expensive to do on a SC 400.

Last edited by BiZ; 05-31-06 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-31-06, 08:59 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes nitrous on the 400 is cheaper.

However, there are issues though with going nitrous on the 400. Unless you upgrade the tranny and get a torque convertor you stuck with sloppy shifts and many times the tranny can't shift fast enough ! RE: hits the limiter !
From my reading it looks like the auto tranny won't last long over 300 whp.

I enjoy the nitrous on my SC400, but a 1JZ would be much better. You don't have to worry about if the bottle is full ha
Old 05-31-06, 10:18 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
I think we are all on a budget. And we're all looking to cut corners, but it boils down to spending ~$1000 (Torque Converter is $900) to make ~20 HP or ~$2000 for a 1JZ and make 100 RWHP.
First off a re-worked torque converter can be sent to Lextreme, stall rates are changed and the TC is sent back to you for around $400...The Dragon T.C. is the most expensive option....Also, no HP is gained with the T.C, all it does is transfer torque in accordance to the set stall rate...lowend torque is gained but not horse power....The T.C change is kinda like a high performance tranny swap or drastic differential gearing change....That is how I can best describe the Torque converter upgrade......Great mod for the SC4...

Also slap a TT on the SC400 and it will still be painfully slow off the line and from a dead stop....Courtesy of the stock torque converter.....

Last edited by jibbby; 05-31-06 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-31-06, 10:31 AM
jibbby

Originally Posted by BiZ
Where do you buy parts for your 1JZ if and when you need them? Can you run down to your local Autozone or Advance auto and get parts off the shelf?

And just as a side note 300- 400 rwhp is all that is needed for a good street car. Yeah it's great to make huge amounts of power, but where can you really use it? The last two cars I owned made 405rwhp/380rwtq and 440rwhp/460rwtq and were an absolute blast to drive on the street, but were traction limited. Any more power than that and you will be going through street tires on a monthly basis. And drag radials suck in the rain so they were not really an option here in FL.

So if a 100hp shot on SC400 can make that kind of power then thats all that is really needed. If a 1JZ +BPU can do the same then so be it. But I am pretty sure the NOS route on the 400 is a bit cheaper than a full 1JZ swap + BPU. If I had a 300 I would go for the swap hands down, but I have a 400 so the TC and NOS may be the route I take to get some more power. The swap is a bit more involved and expensive to do on a SC 400.

Biz I can't agree with you more.....without traction what good is Horsepower? However, it's the upper gears where the massive horsepower is felt....I guess it's nice if your racing on the freeway....I think 400rwhp is all you need on these SC's, then drivetrain, suspension, car weight reduction, tires, etc...should be the focal point to making these cars faster.....I personally have major traction problems in first and second gear when riding nos from a dead stop.. Heck, I break loose in first gear even without nos and from a dead stop.......Traction, traction, traction......and yes fat rear tires are not cheap.....

Oh and TurbTeg - The stock SC400 trannies give way around 350-370rwhp..This is shown on several different posts on Lextreme.......Running the stock tranny at 300rwhp should not be a problem....
Old 05-31-06, 11:02 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

ok thanks !

I think everyone could stand to get an LSD for better traction. open diff is lame
Old 05-31-06, 12:08 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Doggy Dog SC

Doggy Dog SC,

I would take my car to Rising Sun if I were you bro. Better to take it to some one with expierience. It will save you much brain damage and 2k is cheap. Take a road trip and drop off the SC. It will be like a diffrent car when you pick it up after you get it turbo'd.
If you were on the west coast i'd say go to TimeMachine Racecraft.
Old 05-31-06, 12:48 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BiZ

Yes! You can buy parts from your local Autozone. 90% of parts available of the 1JZ are compatable with the MKIV TT Supra. And the swap is not much more involed for a SC400.
Old 05-31-06, 02:15 PM
jibbby

I have to agree with Rising Sun if you can turbo the six banger for $2000 do it all day long... I don't think most people can pull off a turbo setup on a Lexus for $2000... I am sure you (rising sun, me and a few others can, but most cannot).... Then you also need the knowledge to tune and tweak as needed or else that $2000 becomes $3000 or more really fast....

A Nitrous system is simpler, cheaper and just as effective....but is not practical...

Last edited by jibbby; 05-31-06 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-31-06, 03:15 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1UZFE with basic bolt ons...Full straight thru exhaust, no cats, X pipe and BFI #3. And of course it carries a little more punch than previously. I have not dyno'ed my slighty modded 1UZFE, but realistically it probably not making more than 215-220 hp and 240-250TQ at the wheels....Even with these mods, I can barely keep up with a G35 or a GS430...

Given the circumstances, my 1UZFE needs major work to make it go faster than 300WHP. A full BPU 1JZGTE will smack my **** and hand it to me at any moment.

Nitrous route seems enticing, however, it will complicate the integrity of the engine since it is NOT made to handle N02. You can try to fine tune the engine, the internals will eventually break down due to the extra stress. I'm sure this is true with any engine given the situation. If you can make nitrous work consistently, the expenses outweigh the amount of HP you get directy from the 1JZ..

I'm,in no way a guru or what you consider knowledgable about engines. But what I do know is the 1UZ is a masterpiece of an engine. However, do you think it can handle a 250 shot on a daily basis? Because that's how much it takes to probably keep up with a BPU 1JZ. What I'm trying to point out is the reliabliity when you making double or three times the power the factory intention on a NA motor. Eventually your going to run into problems, NA motors are just not built for the extra work load.

In conclusion, I feel that the 1JZ swap is more conventional since the motor is built to handle the extra wear and tear of added boost that NA engine cannot. The costs of building a V8 can be very expensive compared to just doing a BPU 1JZ...Certainly, I believe there are 1UZFE fans here whom live and die by the V8 but, pound for pound the 1JZ just more cost efficient.

-Just my 2 pennies.

Last edited by One HoT; 05-31-06 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-31-06, 06:25 PM
jibbby

The 1UZ-FE is made for a NItrious Shot....No better engine for it.... If you run a 200-300hp NOS shot you may run into some engine problems, but 100-150hp shot these engines can handle it all day long and then some...
Old 05-31-06, 06:48 PM
scsrock
Pole Position

Some newer 3L engine can produce 260HP-280HP without supercharger or turbo. I guess some some experienced tuner can make the inline6 3L SC to gain 50HP. Can you do that for under 1K?
Old 06-01-06, 02:49 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scsrock
Some newer 3L engine can produce 260HP-280HP without supercharger or turbo. I guess some some experienced tuner can make the inline6 3L SC to gain 50HP. Can you do that for under 1K?
Yes that is possible. But difficult.

Fromt he top of my head, the mods necessary would be:

Air filter
Intake cutout (not BFI)
Fuel Controller
Headers
Exhaust
Coolant Bypass
EGR Removal
Electric Fans
Intake Cam
3set Pullies

That should be around the $1000 mark with self labor, connections, and a good tune. But the SC would still be underpowered.
Old 06-01-06, 09:52 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

awesome info from you guys. I'm glad to see this thread didn't go to the gutter.

I'm convinced. I'm gonna keep my SC400 for a long time and eventually do 1J and build from there.
Old 06-02-06, 07:40 AM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

idrewfelix......im looking at putting headers and all on.....the ones im looking at bypass the cats....is that something i want to do....i heard that it helps and that it doesnt help....something about if i take them of i loose compression or something?

Quick Reply: help on horsepower gains