Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

help on horsepower gains

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 10:36 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headers are big....The stock lexus exhaust manifolds are very restrictive...You will notice a nice gain but it will be noisier too....If you don't plan on turbo'ing or supercharging then Headers are a must...along with high flowing mufflers,cats, and Y and or X pipes....You can get big power gains from changing out your full exhaust system..
Old 06-02-06, 01:02 PM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

The headers i am looking at eliminate the catalytic converters

http://www.lextasy.com/sc300_headers_1342_prd1.htm

is that a direction i want to head in? I am not worried about it being illegal.....
Old 06-02-06, 01:39 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Have you done your free/cheap mods/tune up yet?

Theres probably half a second you can gain with little things like TM spark plugs/BFI/Seafoaming/colder T-stat, and Id do EGR block off just because how damaging those can be.
Old 06-02-06, 03:16 PM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

i have no clue what any of that stuff you just said is.....walk me through some of that? Besides the spark plugs....lol

thanks a lot
Old 06-02-06, 06:55 PM
jibbby

Tune ups are big, Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.. That gets the motor running healthy....Bosche spark plugs are hard to beat and if your car is over ten years old it is a good idea to change out your main ground battery cable, especially if the main ground wire feels crispy to the touch....That is the main ground cable that goes from your battery to the engine block...You do lose power with a deteriorating ground cable which so many people are unaware of....

BFI - Is a perfomance homemade intake system which basically converts your existing stock intake into a modified intake.......This BFI introduces colder and increased airflow into the motor. This helps the engine breathe better and makes a little more horse power in laymans terms... Then when your intake and exhaust is modified I would immediately go with a piggy back ECU, such as Apexi, Greddy, etc...., this piggyback ECU increases your fuel and air feed to the motor that is restricted by your stock ECU (computer brain)...15-20hp gains can be expected with that piggy back ECU... In laymans terms the piggyback ECU is kinda like removing a shoe sandle that is stuck under your gas pedal...Remove the sandle and now you can really push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and get more power... ...Something like that.....

Yes - Headers are the way too go, no cats is better for flow also... If you do that you must change out your two rear stock mufflers...Those stock mufflers get very restrictive and clogged up over the years......Good luck..

Last edited by jibbby; 06-06-06 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-03-06, 05:25 PM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

well i have headers.....never installed them....i also have the bosch platinum + 4's....never installed them either....i am intrested in seafoaming it though....but im worried that im going 2 hurt my engine if i do it wrong or something....is it possible to hurt your car by doing that if you dont know that much....Arnt the chips for our cars like 1300 bucks though? if so then thats deff not in my budget....whats a good brand of mufflers that i can get that wont restrict any airflow and that is reliable? Also what about the EGR or the ERG thing you were saying earlier....more info on that please

mat
Old 06-03-06, 07:43 PM
jibbby

Doogy, your in no mans land but I respect you for trying and wanting to learn.....You need to learn all this stuff...Use the (search function to learn the terms and facts) I will try to help you anyway....

This info is for an SC400 - 4.0 liter V8....

Changing plugs are no big deal. You first need to remove all the plastic crap on top of the engine to get to the spark plugs and wires...... Bocshe platinums are a good choice both for the SC300 and SC400's...When you install the plugs you need to make sure each plug is gapped properly before installing.... Gapping is the distance between the contact points where the spark is fired on the plug...A set distance between each point is needed before installing each plug to ensure a good spark is created.. My advise would be to go to any auto parts store near you and ask them for a spark plug gapper ($3) and ask them how to use it...Very easy and cheap and it should be no problem for you....

Ok now your Headers - When you remove the stock manifold (stock headers) there is a EGR valve that sends gases back through your or intake or engine to lower NOX for emissions...This EGR valve needs to be removed from your stock exhaust manifold (headers) and re-welded back onto the exhaust right below the headers which is located on the down pipe... Or you can purchase an EGR delete kit that deletes the EGR system completely and does not allow the gases from entering back into the intake/engine. This EGR block kit also fools the cars computer ECU into thinking it still is working so you get no bad reads.... The kit costs $100.... But I prefer to keep the EGR intact and just reweld the EGR valve back onto the exhaust down pipe, either way it makes no difference in power only emissions and a cleaner engine on the insides........

Lastly rear exhaust mufflers, the best flowing and loudest are the circular straight thru mufflers and they flow the best.... For just good performance and less noise, there is blitz nurf, magnaflows, flowmasters, etc. the list is long.. The Blitz nur are is a very good rear exhaust section setup....these come in the same shape form as the stock mufflers which are oval...Now for just good flowing mufflers and little noise you would want to choose something like Quietflow Oval mufflers..You must get rid of your stock mufflers you will thank me later...atleast 10hp right there....Check out the exhaust section of this forum and you find your mufflers that best suit your taste..... I am using straight thru mufflers on my SC400 and they are called Megan N1 racing muffllers along wiht two high flowing stainless steel resonators directly behind the mufflers to help reduce the noise...I went for strictly performance...So far so good and my exhaust flows great..........

I hope you got all that just take it all in slow....some info does not apply to your SC300..

This is a pic of my circular straight thru mufflers and resonators....This setup can be purchased on Ebay for no more then $200 for everything....With headers this setup is loud on an SC300 or Sc400...
Attached Thumbnails help on horsepower gains-hpim0435b.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 06-06-06 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-04-06, 12:27 AM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for willing to help me....I know I dont know that much about my car but I really am trying to learn...even if I do look stupid in the act....Thanks alot
Old 06-04-06, 09:36 AM
jibbby

Hey bro no problem glad I can be of help...... Gotta start somewhere....
Old 06-04-06, 01:16 PM
doggydogsc
Driver School Candidate

Any of you ever heard of the "computerized death"....where the computer of the car die's and you are left helpless? lol just a rumor huh?
Old 06-04-06, 09:18 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey jibbby, i really like your exhaust set-up and am looking to do something similar. did you have to use custom piping or anything to install the tips? or did you install them straight into the stock piping.. and was it really only $200 for everything? who was the dealer? that's awesome and completely within my budget

if you could help me out thatd b great

THANKS
Old 06-05-06, 10:46 AM
jibbby

i purchsed the (2) stainless steel Megan N! racing mufflers on Ebay for $50 new one year ago...Also got two stainless steel high flowing resonators (Ebay $50 for both new), and one Magnaflow catylitic converter $130 bought that at a local muffler shop..... I also got the S&S headers $700.... I also installed 2.50" inch exhaust piping thru out which I don't recommend and is not needed...2.25 "mandrel" exhaust piping is the best flowing size fit for non N/A SC engines (no turbo's) like yours...

So if you want really nice and noticeable power gains on your SC and at a cheap price, get this stuff - Get two straight thru circular stainless steel mufflers 2.25" inlet sizes, there are many brands on Ebay to choose from and they are all pretty much the same like my Megans......Also you will want to get two high flowing resonators again at 2.25" size fitting.. The resonators keep the noise levels down when using straight thru mufflers... Lastly get the 2 into 1 magnaflow main center catylitic converter....the one larger outlet size on the magnaflow cat should be 2.50" and the two inlets should be 2.25" each ....That is it.....all for around $200....

Take all that crap and throw it in your trunk and head over to a local muffler shop and tell them to slap it all on your SC for no more then $100 to a $150....... Drive off with a smile after.....I would put that little exhaust setup I just mentioned against all the more expensive BlitZ Nur exhausts, Gretty exhaust, HKS, etc...and I would bet you that it will outflow them all at just a fraction of the cost and look just as good....... Have fun hope this helps........

I am now sharing top secret info .

Last edited by jibbby; 06-06-06 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 09:11 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Hey thanks for the info

i cant seem to find the 2 into 1 magnaflow cat.. or the exhaust tips.. because all the tips on ebay have 2.5'' inlet.. the only 2.25'' ones i can find are the flowmasters.. the resonators were the only items i could find

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...QQcmdZViewItem

it says its 2.4'' but can fit in 2-2.5'' openings

if you can help me find the 2.25'' exhausts and the magnaflow cat that would b great

thanks =D
Old 06-05-06, 11:30 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10hp from just replacing your mufflers? I don't think so Jibbby.
Old 06-06-06, 10:41 AM
jibbby

Originally Posted by laxdude362
10hp from just replacing your mufflers? I don't think so Jibbby.
Have you ever used straight thru mufflers? I didn't think so laxdude.......14 year old stock Sc400 mufflers changed to new straight thru N1 racing mufflers....Think about it? .

All apologies for posting the same picture, but sometimes pictures speak louder then words...
Attached Thumbnails help on horsepower gains-hpim0436a.jpg  

Quick Reply: help on horsepower gains