Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

help on horsepower gains

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06 | 05:59 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Originally Posted by verylost
Jibby,

Do you even know how much headers for the 2jz cost? If you add up the costs for the headers, tuning, installation and miscellaneous items, he is well on his way to being able to pay for a basic turbo kit.

Your advice is leading him down the wrong path and wasting his money.
Ok fellas, give me one example other then the headers where I have mislead anyone?...

Exhaust -- I suggested two straight thru mufflers, 2 stainless steel high flowing resonators and one magnaflow cat and S&S headers on 2.25" mandrell piping...Can that not work wonders on an SC300?... What is misleading when applying these mods to an SC300 besides maybe the headers.... Should I rather say go get a Blitz nur and that will only replace your back exhaust section but you will save money by spending $700...Should I say that? I would rather tell the truth and say that Blitz still won't flow better then what I just suggested for $200......Do you see where i am getting at.??.

Everything should mount up fine except for the headers, no? I am sure the SC300 headers will give you increased horsepower and performance.. How is that a waste of money if you don't plan on an AFI setup.......TELL ME THAT I AM WRONG, CRAZY, INSANE, etc.. and do so WITH FACTS, just don't say I am leading him down the wrong path???? I AM NOT!!!! Why don't you guys lead him down the right path..Explain to him what is involved in a turbo setup, what is needed, what frequent maintenance he may encounter? Tell me I would like to know?...Break it down for us so that we may be enlightened...Show us what is needed and what prices and parts are involved in a complete basic turbo setup for an SC300 and post pics........Let us know what gas mileage should be expected after the turbo setup is complete, freeway and city...I would love to hear that one...Reliability factor when comparing to an N/A motor?....That would be productive...Can you guys back up your talk with facts, prices and quality information, testimonies, etc and share or do you just talk head? Can you post so people like me can learn and not mislead someone down the wrong path in the future?..Believe it or not that is the last thing I am trying to do is mislead someone.....why would i want to do that?. Again -

Intake - BFI intake is that not the same for the SC300 and SC400's?

ECU - Apexi piggyback can be used on both the SC300 and SC400's. no?

Bosche platinum plugs are they not an excellent choice for the SC300's?

Fellas don't waste my time my suggestions are not ill advised even for the SC300 and I know exactly what I am talking about.... Headers are good idea if you never plan on turbo'ing period!!!!

I don't think it is a good idea to suggest engine swaps and aftermarket turbo'ing to someone that really doesn't know much about cars... Talk about spending money..

In conclusion - I don't think I will ever be able to shut you guys up even after a dyno and track times are posted.... I don't own an SC300 so I am not going to argue with you guys...So people and owners of SC400's take my advise and save money and enjoy the increased horse power ...Good day...

Last edited by jibbby; 06-06-06 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-06-06 | 06:09 PM
jibbby

Originally Posted by cherplex
Ok this has gone on long enough I tried to resist but......Jibby why don't you show us that "dyno" you posted a while back

oh never mind ladies and gentlemen of the jury I direct your attention to exhibit A. The posts in the thread below sums it all up. Scroll down to the middle for the dyno and read the posts after that.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&page=2&pp=15

edit: good luck with your search for power doggydogsc I suggest reading up on supraforums and clubna-t most of the cars there are boosted but there are still other options.

I knew this was going to pop up again it was only a matter of time...and from my favorite member jerkplex...I love you too man...As I have said before that was my first post and I was dead wrong in those postings.and already appologised .and that was along time ago. I was also pissed off at the time like I am starting to get now......Gee jerkplex, we haven't seen that before.. ..This thread has gone to the dumps thanks to you guys...Sorry doggy and good luck...

Last edited by jibbby; 06-06-06 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-06-06 | 07:01 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Do you even know the difference between a sc300 and a sc400? The sc300 is a 3 liter inline six. The sc400 houses a 4 liter V8. The SS headers will not fit anything on the sc300.

With the cost of the headers, installation, custom exhaust, and tuning, it becomes close to the cost of a budget turbo kit or a 1jz swap. Many have done it over and over again. You want facts? www.supraforums.com

It took you over 7 pages to realize the original poster had a sc300. In light of this, I don't see how it's possible for you to have insight on a car you don't have experience with.

I have no obligation to educate you on the upgrade path of the 2jz, but I do have an obligation to steer members away from bad advice.
Old 06-06-06 | 07:54 PM
jibbby

Originally Posted by verylost
Do you even know the difference between a sc300 and a sc400? The sc300 is a 3 liter inline six. The sc400 houses a 4 liter V8. The SS headers will not fit anything on the sc300.

With the cost of the headers, installation, custom exhaust, and tuning, it becomes close to the cost of a budget turbo kit or a 1jz swap. Many have done it over and over again. You want facts? www.supraforums.com

It took you over 7 pages to realize the original poster had a sc300. In light of this, I don't see how it's possible for you to have insight on a car you don't have experience with.

I have no obligation to educate you on the upgrade path of the 2jz, but I do have an obligation to steer members away from bad advice.
I know the difference between ****** and nice guys...Let's just leave it at that...I would bet i know more then you about your own car. I have read your posts over the past year or so and you do know your stuff but you are no genuis....."VERYLOST" See you brought me down to your level..that's too bad...

Just for your info Turboteg and others posted on this thread in regards to the SC400 mods...To me this thread was not only about just the SC300's but Sc400's too....

I have mostly friends on all the forums, but how did all my favorite members end up on this thread? Do you guys attack in packs.... Bring it...

PS. I know the difference between the sc3's and sc'4 I have repair manuals on both, I owned a dealership that I sold only sc'3 and sc'4 for almost 5 years... I personally have owned and worked on SC300's ...I know a little more then you think...I live and breath these SC's....Again what bad advice did I give?...Headers for a non turbo is that bad advice? Please enlighten us simple minded folk with your vast knowledge, so what is good advice... ... Again just claims with no substance..... Verylost you are verylost....

Last edited by jibbby; 06-08-06 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-06-06 | 08:19 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

I am done bickering. My job is done. The original poster should realize that headers for a 2jz is not a good idea.

P.S You want substance? www.supraforums.com www.clubna-t.com
Years of experience from pros in regards to the 1jz and the 2jz. And dynos too. Wowzers .... dynos.
Old 06-07-06 | 04:11 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by jibbby
I knew this was going to pop up again it was only a matter of time...and from my favorite member jerkplex...I love you too man...As I have said before that was my first post and I was dead wrong in those postings.and already appologised .and that was along time ago. I was also pissed off at the time like I am starting to get now......Gee jerkplex, we haven't seen that before.. ..This thread has gone to the dumps thanks to you guys...Sorry doggy and good luck...
awwww jibbby is getting pissed...........don't worry I'm sure you will find more dynos on google to show us

edit: you Misspelled apologized there jibbby
Old 06-07-06 | 05:21 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

After reading through the seven pages of this thread again do you know what I find to be the most overlooked and probably funniest part???

doggydogsc's original question: "I need some major help on my SC.....what are some common horsepower gains that i could do to it besides turbo?"

Read that last part again besides turbo

Seems to me that is exactly what jibby was trying to tell him. And the mods he was talking about will add power. Face it, an engine is basiclly a large air pump. The more air you get in and out the more power you will make. Turbos are great for doing this as well. But turbos are not for everyone. The time and money involved in either a turbo motor swap or a turbo kit can become very expensive. More than most are willing to invest into a DD street car, especially if he cannot do the work himself.
Old 06-07-06 | 10:33 AM
jibbby

BIZ - Thank you, and my suggestions for mods were completely based on the fact that doggy did not want to Turbo the motor from the start... I did however lose track of whether he had an SC300 or SC400 that I am guilty of........

These three guys have had it out for me for a while, I am used to it...no biggie...I have been in worse forum battles in my time....and I am now forum battle savy....I may get rattled from time to time but will never snap or break...It appears my budda monk training has paid off... I think the Dali Lama would be proud ....He woud say "love thy enemies for they know not what they speak of"...Especially cherplex and verylost.....

In closing I am not that pissed cherplex sorry to disapoint you, you must try harder.....My take to this point is that you can't be friends with everyone even though I try, impossible to make everyone happy.......So I have three troubled members out of two forums...Not bad if you ask me.....It's just too bad the bickering kinda puts a black cloud over the thread.... Too bad...

Verylost - Atleast you have reasoning in your posting even though they are sarcastic....Thanks for the link that is all I asked for is a little substance., proof to why the headers are a bad option on the SC300.........Headers are still a benefit to the SC300 on an NA motor which I already new but not as much as I had origianlly thought...However, I currently have a inline 6 cylinder 4.5L 24 valve Toyota Landcruiser sitting in my yard and TRD headers make a big difference on those motors, I was assuming the benefits would be close to the same with the SC3's... However exhaust manifolds and exhaust designs are very different from the SC300 and the Toyota Landcruiser....... Your points are noted...

Last edited by jibbby; 06-08-06 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-07-06 | 12:33 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

troubled members? I'm not out to get you. I'm hear to learn like everyone else. It's great that you are helping people learn how to make more power on the SC, however.....

I repeat:

Jibby I think you should go to the strip and dyno and post up your results to shut us up. This is always the best way to compare because there are too many variables when you say I beat this corvette, or this G35 or what have you. I look forward to seeing the numbers one day.

Eat my 300whp attitude (backed up with dyno sheet )
Old 06-07-06 | 04:03 PM
jibbby

Turboteg - I will do that just for you to keep the peace...However, I do plan on running my car in 1/8 mile because that is all I am really interested in....1/4 mile is too long and is not my cars strength...I am really trying to make it into a sprinter....I am currently in the weight reduction fase and trying not to compromise the looks and comfort of the car....Very challenging especially on the front end....I Dropped 100lbs so far off of the stock weight maybe more with the rims...I would love to squeeze out another 100lbs....

Let me ask you since we are being civil for the moment...What do you expect your 300rwhp Sc300 to run in the quarter mile? Mid 13's is my guess?
Old 06-07-06 | 10:14 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

I'll be really happy if I can hit 13s in my SC400.

I can't expect much in full weight, street tires, open diff, stock torque convertor and auto tranny though!
Old 06-08-06 | 09:40 AM
BiZ
Intermediate

Doggydog,

There is a SC300 header for sale in the SC classifieds on this site if you are interested. The seller claims a 17rwhp gain with the header. Not too bad for a bolt on part. Just in case you do not go turbo here is the link since you were asking about bolts on from the start.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220867
Old 06-08-06 | 10:52 AM
jibbby

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
I'll be really happy if I can hit 13s in my SC400.

I can't expect much in full weight, street tires, open diff, stock torque convertor and auto tranny though!
Yeah 13's would be very impressive without those key components....A Torque Conv. alone might get you into the 13"s with 300rwhp is my guess....
Old 06-08-06 | 10:59 AM
jibbby

Originally Posted by BiZ
Doggydog,

There is a SC300 header for sale in the SC classifieds on this site if you are interested. The seller claims a 17rwhp gain with the header. Not too bad for a bolt on part. Just in case you do not go turbo here is the link since you were asking about bolts on from the start.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220867
!7hp is alot just for headers on the straight six cylinder Sc300 motor...That owner may be spicing a bit... I would guess a safer claim would be more like 10-15hp but who knows each header set is different and some flow a little better then others...Looking at those headers in the link they look like they have an excellent flow design........As I said before the stock exhaust manifolds are very restrictive on both the SC300 and SC400's. Good find BIz......

VERYLOST - do you still think headers is a dead end worthless mod on an n/a SC300 motor? Are you sure ypu don't want to reconsider your above posted statements? Are you sure the insanity is not sanity?

Last edited by jibbby; 06-08-06 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-08-06 | 01:41 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jibbby

VERYLOST - do you still think headers is a dead end worthless mod on an n/a SC300 motor? Are you sure ypu don't want to reconsider your above posted statements? Are you sure the insanity is not sanity?
Yes, the headers are still stupid.
$500 for the headers
$250 for whatever computer management
$200 to $500 for exhaust.

We are close to $1000 just for a measly 17 hp. For another $1000, we are close to a budget turbo kit or a 1jz swap which nets a gain of around and over 100 hp.

And what is he going to do after he has the headers? Nothing. There is no upgrade path with headers. It's a dead end. If he wants more power, he has to take off the headers and sell them. With a turbo kit or the 1jz, the number of mods are limitless.

I would advise you to stop baiting me into this crap. Trust me, there is alot more information you need from me and pissing me off will not do you any good. In regards to the mods you are planning to do, I have only told you the basics. I have yet to tell you the crap load of problems you will run into. (think headers and egr). Oh yeah, searching won't do you any good. I've yet to document any of the problems I've come across and solved in any forum.

Last edited by verylost; 06-08-06 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: help on horsepower gains