Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Timing belt or chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 05:09 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redskns92
God I wish I was loaded. My Mechanic wanted more then $750.00 I can't do it myself because I have no idea how to do it

is this the same mechanic that called it a "timing chain?"

If he's charging more than the dealership, maybe he's taking your money, then taking the car over to the dealership and getting a loaner whilst your car's in the shop
Old 05-30-06, 06:02 AM
themustafa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly, those timing belts will last a really long time. I'm planning on just waiting until either the water pump or timing belt fails completely, and then swap out both myself, as its not too bad if you have the right tools. I checked mine out around 90k, and it still looked like it had at least 50k more to go before it'd need replacement, if not more.

the lexus v8 is not an interference-type engine, so if the belt snaps, the car won't be damaged in any way; it just wont run. I just personally wouldnt be too keen on dropping $700 for that job if the belt still has another 3-4 years of use left in it.
Old 05-30-06, 10:19 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by themustafa
the lexus v8 is not an interference-type engine, so if the belt snaps, the car won't be damaged in any way; it just wont run. I just personally wouldnt be too keen on dropping $700 for that job if the belt still has another 3-4 years of use left in it.

be careful with that... IIRC, during one of my coffee-break chats with the techs at the Lexus dealership I worked for, the 1UZ became an interference engine in 95 or 98... can't remember exactly... I'm an I6 guy

Edit: Just because a tech told me, don't take that as fact... we all know how mechanics are, even lexus ones

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 05-30-06 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-30-06, 10:22 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themustafa
honestly, those timing belts will last a really long time. I'm planning on just waiting until either the water pump or timing belt fails completely, and then swap out both.
This is a good point and shouldn't be overlooked. When I first got my SC about 4 years ago me and a buddy of mine changed the timing belt, fuel filter, engine oil, blah blah blah.

Being that I got the car used I wanted to be sure all the maintenance was done so I could drive it to and from Vegas (if need be ) with peace of mind that I wouldn't get stranded somewhere on the damn 15. When we took everything apart the belt was actually fine, no signs of wear or fraying at all. I was a little peeved to find a belt in great condition because of all the work involved, but we yanked it and replaced it anyway.

Now, 4 years later my water pump finally failed and the timing belt needed to be replaced due to that malfunction. I didn't feel like removing all that crap again so I took the car to a mechanic I trusted and had him do it. He called me about an hour into the job and suggested changing the cam seals while he was in there and I agreed. 5 hours and $450 later my car was fixed.

I'm writing all of this to basically ask you why is it you feel you need to change the timing belt right now? What prompted you to inquire about this repair?
Old 05-30-06, 04:44 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

I have to agree with Mike. I have almost 180,000 on my original timing belt and water pump. It can be visually inspected by a compitent mechanic.
I would find a new mechanic if he told you you have a timing chain.
Good Luck

Hey Mike who is your mechanic. i live in the South Bay and need to find someone good that won't break the bank!
Old 05-30-06, 04:51 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
be careful with that... IIRC, during one of my coffee-break chats with the techs at the Lexus dealership I worked for, the 1UZ became an interference engine in 95 or 98... can't remember exactly... I'm an I6 guy

Edit: Just because a tech told me, don't take that as fact... we all know how mechanics are, even lexus ones
It became an interference motor when they tweaked it in 1995 for the LS (and whenever they did it for the SC) when they upped the compression to 10.4:1. I guess that was 1996 for the SC?

Scott
Old 05-31-06, 05:55 AM
Redskns92

Angry

I have decided to wait on the timing belt. The reason I was going to get it changed because the book ssid it should be changed at 90 thousand. The first mechanic I brought it to I brought it for a oil change and he said it should have been done at 90 thousand. Then he looked under the hood and said it was a chain. And he was telling me it was a V6 engine I told him it was not. I have brought my car to him for oil changes which I thought he checked all the fluids and to find out he doesn't because my light for my low coolant came on it was low. Then all my oil leaked out after I had the oil change. Well now I no longer use him.
Old 05-31-06, 05:11 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

The normal scheduled maintanence shedule does not show to change it, but to inspect it. Good luck finding a new mechanic
Old 07-08-06, 10:31 AM
posterboi
Driver

Originally Posted by aliga
find a new mechanic.
RMAO!!!! please find a new one like he said.
Old 07-30-06, 09:22 AM
Redskns92

I called Toyota for prices on timing belt and water pump... Timing belt is 39.00 and water pump is $194.00
Should I go with Toyota or can someone suggest anyother brand?
Old 07-31-06, 09:23 AM
DrakeMK3
Driver

Originally Posted by Redskns92
I called Toyota for prices on timing belt and water pump... Timing belt is 39.00 and water pump is $194.00
Should I go with Toyota or can someone suggest anyother brand?
Definitely go with Toyota parts for something as important as a waterpump and a timing belt.