Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Owners.... Reliabilty

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 02:10 PM
kaosman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hemogoblin
Nice. Isnt the car way too loud though? I really gotta check out your ride... pretty much how I want my car. Stock and reliable with the AC blasting. Where did you get your clip from?
Its not really that loud...it sounds a lot like a G35 or Z, but with a higher tone. I took them off to help boost a little quicker and it helped with my high end power. I got my clip from G-Speed. My buddy's shop orders all his clips and engines from G-Speed and all have been excellent.

I'll be headed up to the shop a week from today. Were you gonna try to make the BBQ, or did you want to meet up on Satuday? You are welcome to check the car out, just let me know how you want to do it.

MikeFD3S, a lot of the parts are interchangable between the 1JZ and 2JZ-GTE engines. From what I can tell, the ignitor and coils are the same between engines. I haven't cross-referenced the part numbers but physically they are the same as my buddy's Supra, same size, color, number of pins, etc.
Old 05-26-06, 02:30 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
How are you guys dealing with replacement parts? One of the reasons i'm sticking with going 2JZ-GE+T is for the avaiability of replacement parts should anything happen.

I can imagine parts like coil packs, ignitors, or other subsystems going bad on those engines to be a liability, since the only replacements afaik are used, and have a bit of a wait time associated with getting/sourcing them.

Well, If i remember correctly, most 2jz parts are direct bolt ons.

Originally Posted by kaosman
Its not really that loud...it sounds a lot like a G35 or Z, but with a higher tone. I took them off to help boost a little quicker and it helped with my high end power. I got my clip from G-Speed. My buddy's shop orders all his clips and engines from G-Speed and all have been excellent.

I'll be headed up to the shop a week from today. Were you gonna try to make the BBQ, or did you want to meet up on Satuday? You are welcome to check the car out, just let me know how you want to do it.

MikeFD3S, a lot of the parts are interchangable between the 1JZ and 2JZ-GTE engines. From what I can tell, the ignitor and coils are the same between engines. I haven't cross-referenced the part numbers but physically they are the same as my buddy's Supra, same size, color, number of pins, etc.

Is your car race only, or do you sorta discreetly swap back them uffler and cat come inspectino time?
Old 05-26-06, 03:38 PM
kaosman
Driver

Originally Posted by Mwmorph
Is your car race only, or do you sorta discreetly swap back them uffler and cat come inspectino time?
Living in California, the swap is illegal no matter what you do. My smog guy doesn't care much about either, if you know what I mean.
Old 05-27-06, 07:25 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hemogoblin
Guys who are driving it daily, what mods do you have? Im trying to decide on what to get before dropping the motor in. The only thing for sure i'd probably get is Exhuast/Intake. But the idea of cams keeps poppin in my head..

Im not really looking for crazy power yet, just enough power to keep it reliable, but fun.
My old Soarer was lightly modded, ie. 3" exhaust, A'PEXi pod filter and a Blitz blow off valve (oh, and new turbos after the originals crapped out). I didn't have any problems with the actual motor whatsoever.
Old 06-06-06, 05:30 PM
SCJono
Driver School Candidate

Default I Love My 1JZGTE VVT-I

I drive my 95 sc 300 with 99' 1jz vvti swap everyday and love every minute of it, i have yet to have any problems with it. It's smooth reliable and the ac blows super cold. Mine is all stock, stock 10psi of boost. You gots to love the Toyota always running flawless.
Old 06-06-06, 06:28 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Did you disable VVTI ? I cant seem to find any local places here in L.A. that have a 5 Speed Soarer clip, but from what I can tell, Venus has both VVTI and Non VVTI 5 speed clips. I may just go VVTI, $300 difference in clips.
Old 06-07-06, 04:24 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

The soarer 5 speed in a unicorn.. VERY rare... I say it all the time if the swap is done correctly you will have no issues that you wouldn't with the stock motor... You will love the 1jz swap and the stock W58 5 speed will hold up fine with just bolt ons...
Old 06-07-06, 08:17 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive mine daily to work and back... to the mall, dinner, movies, beach, etc. Drove it 1k miles to Houston before as well... Im not complaining... just stupid little maintenance stuff that you have to do but no big issues here...

click the link for my mod list:
http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/vbgar...?do=view&id=39