Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need help setting timing

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 08:19 PM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help setting timing

I need to know how to set the timing, i just installed a new water pump timing belt and HKS timing gears, whats next?
Old 06-22-06, 10:32 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default need help

AT,

ALLDATA will sell you a one year lic. to the factory manual "on line" for less than $20. You can't go wrong there. Also it is a must to have the full set of Lexus books for your year car (whichever) if you are going to be your own wrench. I sincerely hope that that is your plan as it is gratifying and you always have Lex service to fall back on.

I used Alldata to change out the starter on my SC400. The thing is located in the center of of the valley in the V8 and is underneath everything that is on top of that engine. It is a daunting task. The local starter shop said he had done two and that if I wasn't a pro he really wished me luck. 64 steps and three days later she fired on the third crank. I am not selling myself as any bodys idea of a mechanic but I can follow written instructions. Shop wanted $650 and Lexus would get $750(I guess) and I paid $135 for a remanufactured starter that is really a new item. Don't forget the three day now. I know I won't.

Play safe and be happy.

JohnEd
Old 06-23-06, 11:21 AM
kaosman
Driver

Originally Posted by JohnEd
AT,

ALLDATA will sell you a one year lic. to the factory manual "on line" for less than $20. You can't go wrong there. Also it is a must to have the full set of Lexus books for your year car (whichever) if you are going to be your own wrench. I sincerely hope that that is your plan as it is gratifying and you always have Lex service to fall back on.
He's got a 1JZ... methinks Alldata doesn't cover that engine. Unless he gets info on the Supra's 2JZ-GTE and uses the procedure for that...

Atetk, you're looking for the correct way of lining up the crank & cam pulleys, right? Or are you curious about changing base ignition timing? Cause you can't do that without a standalone...
Old 07-05-06, 05:23 PM
Dramon
Driver

Grab a timing gun...not really sure where you get the pickup for it from...may have to research there or ask one of the other 1jz guys but there should be timing marks on the top of the crnak pulley. from there just adjust your CAS until you get it where you want.
Old 07-06-06, 06:41 PM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kaosman
He's got a 1JZ... methinks Alldata doesn't cover that engine. Unless he gets info on the Supra's 2JZ-GTE and uses the procedure for that...

Atetk, you're looking for the correct way of lining up the crank & cam pulleys, right? Or are you curious about changing base ignition timing? Cause you can't do that without a standalone...
Ya I am just looking how to do the crank and cam gears (I recently just put new cams in as well) Dont I just set the crank to TDC? But what after that?
Old 07-06-06, 08:33 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by atekt
Ya I am just looking how to do the crank and cam gears (I recently just put new cams in as well) Dont I just set the crank to TDC? But what after that?
1 install belt on crank pully, install lower timingbelt cover, install crank balancer, set crank to cyl#1 tdc, line the mark on the balancer with the #0 on the cover
2 install cam sprockets they are keyed so they can only go on one way on the camshafts.align the marks on the cam sprockets with the marks on the upper t-belt cover,
3 install t-belt, and then install t-belt tensioner (you need to compress the tensioner first)
4 once belt and tensioner is installed and there is tension on the belt, turn crank (always clockwise!!!!) 2 or more revolutions and make sure the mark on the cam sprockets and crank balancer line up with the marks on the t-belt covers. if they dont line up stop and remove belt and re align the cams and crank.