Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Paddle shift your auto!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 10:22 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Pointless?

Hardly! The best part of tiptronic, paddle shift, e-shift whatever you want to call it is downshifting a gear or two before a turn to slow the car without using the footbrake. The revs are up to exit the turn, makes driving winding roads 10x more fun with an automatic and saves wear on the brakes.

It would be a good idea to upgrade the clutches inside the tranny and freshen it up before you plan on putting it through the paces, but historically the 340 trans will withstand abuse with stock or mild hp gains, even with higher mileage.

Tranny cooler is a must in my opinion for a completely stock car, it saves having to replace the tranny fluid as often, in addition to lowering internal trans temps. We all know heat is the trans' worst enemy. Another cool upgrade would be a deeper pan to hold an extra liter or two of trans fluid, but i haven't seen one available as of yet.

I can't wait to see more advances and get input from more end users of this product.
Old 07-12-06, 09:36 PM
Joeshmo00@
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey SlowSC,

Thanks for the post about the SupraStick. Has it worked well for you?

I have some interest in the paddle shift capabilities. Mostly I am interested in the controller's ability to better optimize the performance of the trans (ie: by reducing engine retarding during shifts, optimize lockup of the TC in all four gears, etc.) Should be a more efficient transfer of power.

Do you have a mechanical "shift kit" installed as well (modified valve body)?

Any other observations?

Strange how these controllers get alot more interest on the AUS and UK forum boards.

Thanks
Joe in Oregon
Old 07-13-06, 12:15 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
any pictures of it?
you want a pic of the stand alone unit?
Old 07-17-06, 09:32 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like more info on this as well. Pics of the unit, standalone/installed. Details on how its installed, etc.
Old 07-18-06, 10:35 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Just a thought for the OP of this thread.

Instead of using the cruise control stalk why don't ya get the e-shift steering wheel from the GS or IS? You'd get dedicated up and downshift buttons built right into the wheel.

Personally I'm not into this mod as I can't stand automatics but it's a thought to round out your project with proper buttons for shifting.

Old 07-18-06, 07:16 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting.... I also would really like to see pics.
Old 07-19-06, 11:28 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Paddle shifting....I would love to see pics, and performance results on the straights...Can you fully control up and down shifts at any time? Is it responsive like a true triptronic or are the shifts still delayed and slow like stock? Upping the tranny line pressure helps with the SC400 trannies and shifting performance......I have also been looking into shift kits on planet soarer.., Not sold on those for the SC's......Tell us more about this Paddle shifting....

As with most all Stand Alone ECU's that are installed on the older LEX auto's, better transmission performance can be expected with %100 ECU tunning control....I Just think there is so much re-wiring involved when going with a Stand Alone....However, for peak engine tunning performance and tranny performance you can't go wrong with a Stand Alone ECU.. ....Piggy backs ECU's is kinda like band aid and most can be minipulated over time by the ever learning stock ECU,...Stand Alone ECU's are like stiches and not a band aid... I almost went with a good stand alone ECU over the Apexi piggy I now have, but all that re-wiring and that not so consumer friendly selling price scared me off.....

Paddle shifting tell us more please - Laptop tunning? COOL......
Old 09-11-08, 05:59 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey! Any updates on this....interested in the idea.

KC
Old 09-11-08, 10:33 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesn't work for us SC4 guys....I called them awhile back and they told me something but I can't remember.
Old 09-12-08, 07:02 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

works great on my 1jz sc
Old 09-12-08, 12:36 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

all this for a 4 speed?
Old 09-12-08, 01:49 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
all this for a 4 speed?
You wanna run my 4 speed ?
Old 09-12-08, 03:11 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
You wanna run my 4 speed ?
If by running you mean driving it...then YES
Old 09-12-08, 05:14 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

GROUND BREAKING NEWS! hahaha man this is gonna be a crazy week.
Old 09-14-08, 01:36 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the trannies on the early model 1j Soarer's and the 2j SC300's don't use a solenoid to adjust line pressure, it's purely mechanical.

And, if I'm not mistaken, ALL SC400's use a solenoid along with the mechanical method for controlling line pressure. This is why it may not work for us 400 guys.

It MAY be possible to just unplug the SLT (line pressure) solenoid, assuming that it defaults to full pressure, then use the Suprastick to contorl the the 2 shift solenoids. It would take some expirimenting. Unplugging the solenoid may also help with rev bounce / slow shifting during the 1-2, again, if it defaults to full pressure.

KC

Quick Reply: Paddle shift your auto!