Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VSV connections; Warm air out of Dash Vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 11:01 AM
jalperson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSV connections; Warm air out of Dash Vents

I was getting warm air coming out of the dash vents when the temp was set to cold, the fan is running and the air conditioner is not running. When the air conditioner runs, there is no problem. This is a recent occurrence; before, cooler air would come out. Clicking the recirculation button doesn't make much difference.

I started checking the connections under the hood, and the vacuum hoses seemed loose. I cleverly clipped off about 3/8" off the ends and tried to reattached them. Voila, now it works properly. Unfortunately, I now have an unconnected fitting, and I can't see where it goes. Ugh!

There are 3 vacuum connections to this electrical valve (I think it is called a VSV, a vacuum switching valve). The VSV is located at the rear top of the engine compartment on the passenger side. One fitting goes to the intake manifold and connects there via a T fitting. Another goes to a solenoid, which operates a valve that is inline with the heater hose. The third is the culprit. It is pointed toward the rear of the engine compartment, is high on the valve and is near the 12v connenctions. It is easy to see!

Would someone either look at their SC300 and describe where it goes? Alternatively, could someone post a picture?

Thanks,

jalperson@palomar.edu