Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Check engine light code retrival?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-01, 11:07 PM
banking
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Check engine light code retirval

Toan,

I'll attempt to scan it and post it on this thread and if for some reason that I am unable to do it I will let you guys know so than you can just simply pm or email me with your email or fax and I'll fax or email it back to you. Same goes for anyone else.

banking

van25_99@yahoo.com
Old 10-17-01, 12:28 AM
justinlarsen
Driver School Candidate

YAH YAH SCAN IT
Old 11-15-01, 04:50 PM
BriMcc
Driver

I have a similar problem - engine and trac light stay on all the time. Can I get a diagnosis as well?
Old 11-15-01, 05:01 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Checked my codes 2 flashes then pause then 5 flashes. What does this mean?
Old 11-15-01, 06:16 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Code 25, Lean code. 9 out of 10 tens it's a bad main O2 sensor.
Old 11-15-01, 06:48 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Is there 4 O2 sensors on the 92 SC400? Which one and where do I find it? Thanks for the help. Cost? I don't have a Lexus dealership in town where I live.
Old 11-15-01, 07:04 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by BriMcc
Is there 4 O2 sensors on the 92 SC400? Which one and where do I find it? Thanks for the help. Cost? I don't have a Lexus dealership in town where I live.
Code 25 is for the Main O2 sensors. the two front sensors. You need to determine the left or the right sonsor need to be replace. Lexus O2 cost me $114 each and that is a reduced price. go buy the O2 in the auto parts store. It is much cheaper should be in the range of ~$35 each. If you can buy it that cheap; replace both O2. Buy a O2 sensor removal tools from the same auto parts store. (AutoZone, Pepboy, NAPA...) Canada should have similar auto parts store.

Raise the car up with rams or car stands. If you are using car stands, make sure it is secure before craw under the car. I heard too many story of inexperience people got crust because the stand fail and the car dropped.
The main O2 should be right below the exaust manifold. It looks like a spark plug with wire connect to it.

Have you ordered the repair manual yet?

Last edited by VQT; 11-15-01 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-16-01, 04:34 AM
BriMcc
Driver

Thanks for the help. Where can I order a repair manual? As you probably know our $ is not worth much $1.60 US for one C$. Anywhere in Canada that you know of? I have checked ebay and found manual on CD! Suggestions?
Old 11-16-01, 10:45 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BriMcc
Thanks for the help. Where can I order a repair manual? As you probably know our $ is not worth much $1.60 US for one C$. Anywhere in Canada that you know of? I have checked ebay and found manual on CD! Suggestions?
Don't know about CD. How much is it? May be it's a good idea...
call 800-908-6968 ask for Steve Ganz Carson Toyota in Los Angeles) Steve is a member of this Forum.
his e-mail address is gonzo4u@earthlink.net

Last edited by VQT; 11-16-01 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-16-01, 03:47 PM
1stLexus
Rookie

Default Re: retrival

Originally posted by hokkayh
Take a jumper wire and hit TC and E1 in your engine compartment there is a little black cap open it and look in the lid and you will see TC and E1 read the codes on the instrument cluster by the number of flashes you see then write me back and I shall help in dig. the problem.
I jumped the Tc and E1 with a wire, turned on car, and the only things flashing were the cruise light, ABS light, and red seatbelt/airbag light by the engine light. the engine light just stayed on with no flashes.

Am I doing this right??
Old 11-16-01, 05:00 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Jump connections and turn car to on position - don't start it. The engine light on the left will be flashing. I did this last night to get 2 flashes and a pause then 5 flashes. Results are posted in earlier entries. Also, I tried disconnecting my battery again today for 20 minutes. All my light go out, but, I know they will come back on after awhile. Why does it take time for the warning lights (trac, engine) to back on?
Old 11-17-01, 01:03 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: retrival

Originally posted by 1stLexus

I jumped the Tc and E1 with a wire, turned on car, and the only things flashing were the cruise light, ABS light, and red seatbelt/airbag light by the engine light. the engine light just stayed on with no flashes.

Am I doing this right??
Jump TE2 and E1 and count the no.of flashs.

It takes two ignition on/off times before the codes come up after you disconnect the battery.
Old 11-17-01, 03:48 PM
1stLexus
Rookie

Thumbs up Thanks!

its actually E1 and Te1 on my 95 SC300, it does not have a connector on the Te2.

anyhow only code is 41.

Can someone help me out with what this is?

Thanks,
Old 11-17-01, 08:17 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by 1stLexus
its actually E1 and Te1 on my 95 SC300, it does not have a connector on the Te2.

anyhow only code is 41.

Can someone help me out with what this is?

Thanks,
You're right it's E1 nad TE1. E1 and TE2 connection is for another check after E1 and TE1. It's very lenghthy procedure.

What are the simptom of the car when you have this code?

Anyway, code 41 on my 93 SC400 manual says throttle position sensors signal. There are two sensors on my car, the other is for the traction control... If your car only have one sensor, try to replace it. The procedures to test the sensor are four pages long and it involve a volt meter and it does talk about checking the sub sensor... I haven't read this up and don't have time to type all this in right now.
Call Steve Ganz 800-908-6968 to buy a repair manual for your car.
Also, try to buy a after market throttle position sensor if it is cheaper. I think even with Steve Ganz price, you going to have a heart attack when he tell you the price of the sensor.

Please post the price and where we can get them once you know what is wrong with your car.

Good Luck
Old 11-17-01, 09:03 PM
1stLexus
Rookie

Symptoms are the car is experiencing a hesitation/surge when driving, and sometimes coming off idle acts like it is going to die. f course these symptoms are as described by my wife who drives the car everyday to work in stop and go traffic.

I need to get me the service manual, I just hate they cost so much. (I'm cheap )

I'll try to find a tps from my local parts place and let everyone know the price and if that fixes the problem. Which I think it should since that is the only code I had. I thought it might be O2 sensor giving wacked readings, but mileage has never dropped off. Thats why it pays to not throw parts at something I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Check engine light code retrival?