Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Review: C's knock-off short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 03:28 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

trd is the one on the right. stock on left....I might just play with it a little to get it to fit.
Attached Thumbnails Review: C's knock-off short shifter-dsc01800.jpg  
Old 08-11-06, 03:33 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm....can you please take a pic of the TRD **** on the short shifter? Sounds odd to me.
If you mean that the TRD **** rubs up against the shift boot, and can go no further, you can modify that top ring of the shiftboot to slide down a little further.
If it's the actual **** hitting the 'fat' part, I dunno what to tell you. You can take the short shifter to a machine shop and have thm try grinding it down to match the stocker. Hope it's not hollow metal.

~Alan
Old 08-11-06, 03:40 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I kinda see what you mean now that I saw the pic of the TRD ****'s bottom (sexy ***** by the way).
What you can do is wrap some of that white sealant tape they use for sealing water lines over the thread to get some better friction-hold going and just thread the TRD **** to the point where it starts to rub against the shifter. You don't need to get the thread ALL the way to the top.

If you get the TRD **** to work, can I have your stock ****?
Mine is all torn up and I'd love to replace it.

Cheers,
~Alan
Old 08-11-06, 03:41 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

the **** is hitting the fat part. i'm gonna just try to open up some more room in the hole of the trd **** to get it to sit down further.
Old 08-24-06, 11:57 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

I can't get the trd **** to fit, so i decided to sell the short shifter. i hope i won't regret it. here's the link: shifter for sale
Old 08-24-06, 12:36 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to see you letting it go.
Did you give my trick a try?

All you need to do is get the **** to stop before it goes down low enough to hit the fat part of the shifter.
If you think that defeats the whole purpose of the short shifter, you don't quite understand what a real short-shifter is and what the benefits are.
A short shifter is designed to give you a shorter throw...not necessarily to sit lower. I've seen some short shifters actually sit higher than the stock ones.
Reason being: shortening of the throw also has an effect on how much force is required to get it into gear, so to get it back to stock feel, the shifter would have to be made longer.

Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
My mods are done with the "function before fashion" theory in mind.
Your interior does look much nicer than mine though.

Cheers,
~Alan
Old 08-24-06, 11:54 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

i can't even get the **** down low enough for it to begin threading on. i understand what the short shifter does. the pivot point is changed, so the throws are shorter. but because that point is higher, you have less torque when you shift, so you have to put in a little more effort during shifting. i guess that's the part i haven't gotten used to. i love the fact that shifting only takes a little flick of the wrist, but i kind of like the ease of shifting with the stock shifter...i guess it's personal preference. i won't be racing my car just yet and it's still stock, so i'll stick with easy, slow shifting for now. a few people have driven my car with the short shifter installed and they love it. it's just not for me right now.
Old 08-26-06, 05:07 PM
singleT
Driver School Candidate

Any of you guys with the short shifter have any driving reviews to go along with the install? Does it shift smoothly? Does it rattle? Did it break?
Old 08-28-06, 03:21 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by singleT
Any of you guys with the short shifter have any driving reviews to go along with the install? Does it shift smoothly? Does it rattle? Did it break?
Sure. Yes. No. No.
Like I said before, I still love it.
WIll be taking it to the track in about a month...that will be the true test.

~Alan
Old 08-30-06, 02:58 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

I sold my short shifter, so I put the stock one back in today. I didn't realize until now how much nicer the short shifter is compared to stock. When I first installed the short shifter, I wasn't used to having to shift a little harder, so I wasn't too crazy about it. But now that the stock shifter is back in, I notice how much more travel there is with the stock shifter. The short shifter significantly reduces the throw. And there seems to be a lot more play in the stock shifter. I don't like it and I really regret selling the short shifter.

Anyway, here are some installation instructions...pretty basic. Thanks to Sportcoupe for suggesting this short shifter and for installation help:

Take off the **** and the cover...the cover just pops off. Remove the 4 bolts (10mm)

Remove the next 4 bolts. 10mm for stock. When installing the short shifter, use the allen bolts and washers. This picture shows the short shifter installed with the allen bolts.

The bolt on the bottom is the one that is hardest to get to. You can attempt to reach it from the top like I did. Or you can jack up the car and go from underneath. The latter might be easier. 12mm.

This is how the pieces should be used. The top plate, the white plastic piece and the rubber pieces are reused from the stock shifter. The top plate can be difficult to remove from the stock shifter because you gotta get it past the ball...
Old 09-01-06, 08:25 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm kinda late to chime in here but fake C's shifters? I can't believe how far companies go stealing designs that don't belong to them to make $$ I know tuning these cars isn't cheap but it makes me sick to see people contributing to this kind of stuff. Why fake the funk?
Anyhow, C's are expensive but there are definatly more dealers than 1 that they can be bought from....and other sources that are even cheaper.

http://www.cs-shift.com/

I'm ordering one soon, they're less than $200 if you get them direct from Japan....
Old 09-01-06, 09:20 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

lol $200 for a short shifter.. FUNK that . The people buying this $70 ebay shifter were not going to pay ~$200 for a short shifter anyways. So, it makes no difference. $70 is the most I'd pay anyways for a short shifter too..
Old 09-02-06, 11:12 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
lol $200 for a short shifter.. FUNK that . The people buying this $70 ebay shifter were not going to pay ~$200 for a short shifter anyways. So, it makes no difference. $70 is the most I'd pay anyways for a short shifter too..
Yeah...give me a thumbs down because you're cheap. It's not even about C's losing business....it's the whole idea that some company can make $$ by stealing a design that doesn't belong to them....they can make a cheap short shifter but why not their own design...
Old 09-02-06, 11:32 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it's a short shifter?

i could see maybe a body kit STYLE or something, but a short shifter...there's not much to it.

i agree that paying >$100 is rediculous for what a short shifter is, but C's is known for quality. If it makes a huge difference, it's worth 250, if it's the same thing as stock, but short(same as cutting out a section) then it's worth $20

and the sad thing is that it's worth $250 for us only
other cars have all these other shifters to choose from. . .
Old 09-02-06, 11:48 AM
slo86
Pole Position

http://www.bestshortshifter.com/Temp...=22&SearchYN=N

Quick Reply: Review: C's knock-off short shifter