Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

"suggestions for exhaust?" ROUND 2 - Apexi vs Dynomax!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-01, 02:18 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "suggestions for exhaust?" ROUND 2 - Apexi vs Dynomax!

Apexi N1 80mm vs Dynomax Ultraflow SS

I was going to order the N1's today, but at the last minute I had some questions come up. How loud is the Apexi N1? Has anyone heard both of them on the same car?

The N1 seems to have a very straight through design, should a loss of a lot of low end torque be expected?

What about weight? The N1 seems that it would weigh a lot less than the Ultraflow, any hard numbers?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-01, 09:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well my suggestion is 100 to 1 go for the N1... its a better built product

yeah it weighs less by a good amount buti'm not sure of the exact number...

the N1 has its own sound... i've heard them plenty on I6 motors but never a DOHC V8 since not many people mod them...

the N1 is going to be decently loud; but not real loud... the dynomax would be about the same in loudness (if you're talking ultraflows)... they don't get REALLY loud until you remove the cats, etc...

N1s would sound BADASS on a DOHC V8 i'm sure of it... they are deep at idle and not really loud... but when you get on it; they open up and it sounds like heaven... your V8 will sound akin to a Ferrari in some ways in the upper rpms; its going to be mean
Old 10-04-01, 08:46 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

I'm convinced, I'm going to take the pluge for the N1's. Since you seem to know a good amount of info on exhaust, one (hopefully) final question. Do you reccomend the 60mm or 80mm N1? (i'm assuming this is the inlet to the muffler). The stock inlet i believe is 2.2".
Old 10-04-01, 02:34 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

I had 'em installed about an hour ago!

A month's worth of pay gone (part-time, student) but i don't regret it one bit. That "WOOM" when i start up the car is satisfaction!

I took some pics and will have them developed tommorow and i'll record some mp3's of its sound. the mufflers go straight out the back angled slightly to the outside, it looked better than just straight back.

joy

Last edited by hellasboy; 10-04-01 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-04-01, 03:24 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats... Post'em soon!!! Did the N1 come with tips? What size?
Old 10-04-01, 09:18 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knowing apexi the tip is 4 1/2 inches . Just a guess though . But i bet its 4 1/2 inches .
Old 10-05-01, 12:24 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

I couldn't find a ruler ANYWHERE.

The N1's came with tips, they have the Apexi logo engraved on the side . I checked the diameter of the Apexi tip with my Nokia 8290 (3.9" length). The Apexi tip is 4". I should be able to find a ruler by the time the pictures are developed.
Old 10-05-01, 07:08 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

dude i bet it sounds like heaven
how's it sound at idle and wide open?
Old 10-05-01, 10:26 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

4" is large enough on the SC IMO. Just in under radar... post pic soon........

Still waiting on my clear side markers...

Last edited by The Ikon; 10-05-01 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-05-01, 10:27 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Thought "The Ikon" forgot about the clear side markers search? At least you really tried.
Old 10-05-01, 09:34 PM
MrGQ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hellasboy,
so did you decided to go w/ the 60mm or the 80mm? how big is you downpipe and catback? any silencer or cat removed? also, can you tell me where you bought your N1's from? Sorry for asking too much, I'm planning to get the N1's for my SC300 soon so I'm just curious about your setup. Any recommendation would be nice.

thank in advance
mrgq
Old 10-05-01, 10:31 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

I decided to go with the 60mm N1s. I believe my exhaust piping is a little more than 2 inches in diameter from the cat to the mufflers (the 300 is smaller). I didn't remove the silencer (resonator, right?) or cats. I might have the resonators removed later (in addition to new piping all the way underneath), i'm still debating that course of action. Basically I just replaced the mufflers... for now

I bought my N1's from Racing Trenz, a local performance shop. 225$ each. Meineke quoted me at 265 for each. 100$ to get them installed at a local muffler shop. The cheapest place I've found online for the N1s is at http://www.shopresponse.com/exhausts_universal.html -216$ each shipped. I ended up paying an extra 40 and some odd dollars, but I didn't want to wait for them to come in

It's a tossup between the 80mm and 60mm N1s. For your car, Im guessing that the 80mm will sound louder but won't offer as much of a performance upgrade as the 60mm. I don't think that you will lose performance by changing to either muffler though.

Last edited by hellasboy; 10-06-01 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-05-01, 10:45 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

If you can spot me 25,000$ dollars to start up then I'll easily be able to get you (and 498 other people) high quality clear OEM side marker replicas for only 50$ a pair
(at least I think that's what I quoted at)

My friend is going to be down in Sydney, Australia pretty soon. i'll call some stores and find out how much they have the japan oem clear corners. is there anything else worth looking for in that area that isn't available stateside?

hehe, if i can't find 498 people to prepay for clear corners, are you interested in the oem clear corners for (est) 125$?
Old 10-06-01, 05:19 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

dude thats sweet

just for clarification in the questions for 60mm vs 80mm
if you want to run a dual exhaust system like Hellasboy has done, then get 60mm for either car...

if you want to run a single like I do and be louder, get a single 80mm... if you can get the piping done too; mufflers won't help a whole lot until the piping is run to match them...

either way, i bet it sounds badass...
N1s on a sc300 sounds like a V12 from a Diablo
and N1s on a SC400 sounds like a V8 from a Ferrari up top in the powerband...

where are the sound/video clips?
Old 10-06-01, 06:26 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

They sound nice, really nice (heh, i think i've said that too many times now ). The only bad thing is that the SC is a damn quiet car (and that my wheels drown out the exhaust tone)! I had my bro drive it around while I sat outside and the exhaust was music to my ears (I've had my stereo turned off the past 3 days, hehe).

Heh, I forgot that I had a video camera and invested in a firewire card. Tommorow I'm going to the import races at Bandimere so I will get some video posted, maybe i'll even try a run . It's easier for me to get video/audio than just audio, crazy! Pictures will be in tommorow. expect everything tommorow evening

Quick Reply: "suggestions for exhaust?" ROUND 2 - Apexi vs Dynomax!