Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

S-afc On Its Way, Anyone Tune Your Self?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06 | 09:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Memphisacc
This one is very specifc for a Supra. Anything out there for a 99 GS400?
Old 08-02-06 | 03:28 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Memphisacc
Im sorry but that is terrible logic to think that dyno tuning is better because of the controlled setting....do i drive my car day to day in a controlled setting? Most certainly not. Dyno tuning is better because usually professionals own them....people who have spent a lot more time then most of us doing tuning..... and trust me most of these guys are no more smarter then you or I...

so like i said go to supra forums or clubna-t and gather some info from people that know what they are talking about and try and help the DIY instead of like most the folks around here trying to brush of the DIYers with some money and a dyno...

There are peolp here who daily drive their turbo scs with zero tuning and are experiencing no problems....(not saying thats the way to go) but....ya

SupraForums
smartness has nothing to do with it, you can mess things up by improper tuning, expierence comes into play. It's happened to people before, things go wrong and cars get messed up. If you're by yourself you'll need to datalog the wideband info by yourself, what if you mess up? improper install of the wideband?

i'd rather recommend someone go to a dyno and a tuner, see how it's done first then go and tune later on by themselves rather then say "you can do it" and maybe mess up their car. Yeah some people have turbo cars and have zero tuning...what's that got to do with anything? That just means the ecu is handling the increased air correctly. Tune that same car and there's hp to be made.

You don't drive the car in a controlled setting but the rpm values don't change on the street or on the dyno. i'd rather be able to tune safely on a dyno then try to find an empty street and take it to redline while figuring out values and then keeping an out for cops. Terrible logic? Terrible logic is thinking you're "just as smart" as the people who own the dyno. There are a lot of expierenced tuners, keyword expierence, not smartness, that dyno their cars to tune and not on the street.

IF someone wants to street tune their car, by all means the thread has already given them the info they need to get things done. YOU may think i'm trying to shuffle "DIY'ers to pay money to the dyno operators but i'm recommending they save their money up, get it tuned and see how things are done first and then make the decision whether street tuning is right for them.
Old 08-04-06 | 01:36 PM
Nosser
Driver School Candidate

Dyno tuning is fine for WOT tuning. True - conditions are not exactly the same as on the street, but it is a decent approximation of a street WOT run. HOWEVER, SAFC has both high and low throttle correction, and the only way to make the most of the unit is to street tune it. Everyone here seems to think that street tuning = amatuers doing WOT runs down deserted roads. NO. Street tuning means having a professional tuner in the passenger seat with a laptop and a wideband seeing what the car does in the real world and tuning to make it faster all the time, not just when the hammer is down. Dyno tuning makes a great base line, especially because repeated WOT runs are not terribly practical in the real world, but a street tune goes far beyond what you can achieve on the dyno in terms of driveablility. Not alot of guys do it and it is expensive because it takes a lot longer than three pulls on the dyno to remap your whole table. That being said - it rocks.

Last edited by Nosser; 08-04-06 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-04-06 | 01:43 PM
Lexusalex
Driver

Wideband cost, cheapest $200 plus instalation fo the o2 sensor.
Is there any other alternative to read proper fuel/air mixtures other then with wideband O2?
Old 08-04-06 | 06:20 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexusalex
Is there any other alternative to read proper fuel/air mixtures other then with wideband O2?
wideband is the ticket, the only ticket
Old 08-04-06 | 07:18 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexusalex

NEGATIVE GHOSTRIDER!
Old 08-04-06 | 09:32 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

about how much of an increase in power can you expect from a dyno tuned SAFC2?
Old 08-05-06 | 04:31 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

One of the questions was to suggest a wideband. I use the AEM and am very happy with it., simple to install and easy to use. If you want logging and such your gonna have to look elsewhere though. Of course the price will go up as you add features.

Ii seem to remember hearing about 10 hp on a NA car dont hold me to that its just a reccolection from my foggy old brain..
Old 08-05-06 | 08:42 AM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

I can hardly belive how far off topic some of the replies here are.

The guy was asking about a friggin AFC!! Go out and street tune the low "driveability" map on an AFC and see what the stock ecu does to that after 20min's.

Bottomline, the AFC is ONLY good for WOT tuning or damn close to it. There is absolutely no point to trying to tune low throttle/low rpm using an AFC piggy backed to a stock toyota/lexus ECU. The stock ecu is going to remap any changes you do to low throttle / low rpm changes.

If he had asked about a full stand alone...different story...but he didn't. These are not gueses, this is the way these ecu's work or at least have since i got my first Supra back in 1998.

Jay
Old 08-07-06 | 02:44 PM
Lexusalex
Driver

Guys got the S-AFC , anyone has a link or instruction on instalation for an sc400?
I dont know what wires to tap into in the ECU

Last edited by Lexusalex; 08-07-06 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-07-06 | 04:55 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

just use the wiring diagram Apexi provides for the 1JZGTE. Worked for me.

ohh... and don't use blue wire taps.. solder the connections!
Old 08-07-06 | 07:06 PM
Lexusalex
Driver

guys installed the ecu but now cant start the car
what the f,, it cranks but no start
Hlep
Old 08-07-06 | 07:12 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Is it getting fuel perhaps it has all the fuel dialed out?
Old 08-08-06 | 10:34 AM
Lexusalex
Driver

Oops my bad, i didn't have the ecu plugged in all the way
Its working good now got to tune it.

Just wondering can I use somone elses settings with similar mods? How dangerous can this be?
Old 08-09-06 | 01:34 PM
Lexusalex
Driver

Do i need a wideband or can i hook up an air/fuel meter to an existing o2 sensor on my car?

Quick Reply: S-afc On Its Way, Anyone Tune Your Self?