Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Value of SC with GTE swap vs. NA-T

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 03:33 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

compression on a stock GTE = 8.5:1
stock GE = 10:1

The GE and GTE share the same crank, rods, and piston MATERIAL (shaped slightly different). The compression between the 2 lies within the headgasket. Stock GTE HG = 1.6mm versys the .2mm of a GE HG.

just to clear up some information here....
Old 08-07-06, 04:41 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

There is always long term value in a car with the original motor and serials #'s matching. Not short term but long term, the matiching original matching block with serial #'s holds more value down the road.
Old 08-07-06, 05:20 PM
RS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
There is always long term value in a car with the original motor and serials #'s matching. Not short term but long term, the matiching original matching block with serial #'s holds more value down the road.
For a mass produced car like the SC300 I would wager to say that a sorted GTE conversion (documented, etc) will carry more long term value than a NA-T equipped car. It will get even more than a nicely pampered factory original car (the exception being rare finds with ultra-low miles that catch the eye of those discerning few willing to pay significant premiums to have the cleanest examples in their stable). Were these cars being purchased by collectors perhaps the matching numbers might have more value. Even the most cherished are being driven fairly regularly; these just aren't the cars that are being tucked away in bubbles to preserve their all-original numbers-matching condition. Of course, if it's really a concern you could always install a non-stock motor (be it NA-T or GTE) and retain the original pieces for resale.

For what people are looking to do with these vehicles the matching numbers simply don't mean much. Even the most cobbled-together NA-T kit can catch more cash than an original model! It may be wholly inappropriate but it still happens every week. Buyers are looking at numbers but they aren't stamped on engine blocks.

Cheers,
Old 08-07-06, 08:29 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm curious too. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!
Old 08-08-06, 03:26 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by RS3
For a mass produced car like the SC300 I would wager to say that a sorted GTE conversion (documented, etc) will carry more long term value than a NA-T equipped car. It will get even more than a nicely pampered factory original car (the exception being rare finds with ultra-low miles that catch the eye of those discerning few willing to pay significant premiums to have the cleanest examples in their stable). Were these cars being purchased by collectors perhaps the matching numbers might have more value. Even the most cherished are being driven fairly regularly; these just aren't the cars that are being tucked away in bubbles to preserve their all-original numbers-matching condition. Of course, if it's really a concern you could always install a non-stock motor (be it NA-T or GTE) and retain the original pieces for resale.

For what people are looking to do with these vehicles the matching numbers simply don't mean much. Even the most cobbled-together NA-T kit can catch more cash than an original model! It may be wholly inappropriate but it still happens every week. Buyers are looking at numbers but they aren't stamped on engine blocks.

Cheers,
Point well taken but........ a first year and last year SC will have collector value in some time.
" Value " is a relative term.
Old 08-08-06, 06:25 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Hopefully the conversion cars keep good value.
Old 08-09-06, 05:51 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

I personally think it doesn't matter whether you have a GTE or an NA-T. I think what people are really looking for is a manual transmission swap or a manual transmission. If the car had a Getrag, I believe it will add more value to the setup than a whole motor swap!
Old 08-09-06, 09:45 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

ehhh fack it.... i'm going NA-T... i'm never selling my SC
Old 08-09-06, 02:02 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ummagawd
ehhh fack it.... i'm going NA-T... i'm never selling my SC
Good thats what I wanted to hear! I can see alot of people buying SC's; throwing in swaps and selling for a profit; trying to milk the 2JZ/Supra icon as much as they can, but one thing people don't understand is that they made multiples more SC's than they did Supra's and even with a swap no one is willing to spend more than $20g's for one. Reason's Supras sell for more is because of the limited quantity not because of mods. SC's are everywhere. It will cost more money to replicate a Supra with mods than buying one modded already, so in effect, it becomes a "steal" plus it will hold its value because of the limited quantity.
Old 08-09-06, 02:20 PM
RS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
Reason's Supras sell for more is because of the limited quantity not because of mods. SC's are everywhere.
This is something I've given some thought lately. USDM Supra sales totals are fairly significant and while we're not talking Ford F150 or Toyota Camry production numbers the cars were still produced in strong numbers for a rather niche market. I think the Supras' power potential, aftermarket support, and movie mystique has all added to inflated secondhand prices. At more than 11k sold (source: MKIV.com) over five years I wouldn't call it very limited.

Where are SC sales figures viewable?

Cheers,
Old 08-09-06, 04:57 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

For a period of 5 years; 11k isn't much. Here's a breakdown:
Supra TT hardtop 6-speed: 326
Supra TT targa 6-speed: 3712
Supra TT auto targa: 2939
Total 6-speed TT's: 4038
Total TT Supras: 6977
Total N/A Supras: 4262
Total Supras PERIOD: 11,239

Let's look at the competitors in the 90's in the U.S.:
Total 3000GT's PERIOD '91-'99: 79,536
Total NSX's PERIOD '92-98': 7421 (couldn't find data for the remaining years)
Total 300ZX's PERIOD '90-'96: 89,156
Total RX7's PERIOD '93-'95: 13,879

Last edited by jpvarghese; 08-09-06 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-10-06, 08:44 AM
LexusLimit
Driver

Your better off going w/ 1jz swap if your on a budget. Slapping a turbo kit on a GE motor are known to have reliability problems every now and then., since the motor did not come turbocharged from the factory. A gte swap is reliable because its a direct swap and the majority of it is plug and play.
Old 08-10-06, 08:52 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusLimit
Your better off going w/ 1jz swap if your on a budget. Slapping a turbo kit on a GE motor are known to have reliability problems every now and then., since the motor did not come turbocharged from the factory. A gte swap is reliable because its a direct swap and the majority of it is plug and play.

I used to think so also... but with the 8 months I've spent researching all this (going NA-t vs. GTE swap)... I think the reliability factor is marginal.

I mean yes it's easier to feel more comfortable knowing the motor came stock with turbos... but the 2JZ series motors in particular were all carved from the same foundation. A properly done up NA-T (headgasket upgrade and all on a healthy motor) would be just as reliable at sub 450hp levels.

Then again... to each their own.
Old 08-10-06, 09:43 AM
RS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ummagawd
I used to think so also... but with the 8 months I've spent researching all this (going NA-t vs. GTE swap)... I think the reliability factor is marginal.
This is a very good point.

Anybody else thinking about aesthetics when taking these options in to consideration? The NA-T setup makes for an awfully cluttered engine bay.

Cheers,
Old 08-10-06, 09:48 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RS3
This is a very good point.

Anybody else thinking about aesthetics when taking these options in to consideration? The NA-T setup makes for an awfully cluttered engine bay.

Cheers,

oh gawd yes.... i've only seen one NA-T engine bay that didn't look so bad... didn't look bad at all. But I think it was all the bling that offset the clutteredness.

Anyways... i'd be doing a GTE-style custom manifold anyways..... but yes I think to some the aesthetics of a GTE swap is much more appealing and holds some value.

Quick Reply: Value of SC with GTE swap vs. NA-T