Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Essential Upgrades For Turbo Install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-01, 09:05 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Essential Upgrades For Turbo Install?

I am a former Honda turbo-guru, so I know all of the ins and outs of turbocharging. I made 400hp on a 1.6L Honda motor, so I am pretty good with snail-induction. I have since moved on from Hondas, because there are way too many juvenile delinquents giving the scene a crappy name.

I got myself a 1992 Lexus SC300 5-speed with 116,000 miles on it. It runs great, and although I have not run a compression test, there are no signs of wear and tear on the motor.

With most non-turbo motor turbocharging, lowering the CR one way or another is usually needed, and I have heard so with the SC300. As well, extra fuel, and some sort of fuel controller will likely be needed, and possibly ignition upgrades. Besides dropping the CR, possibly via thicker head gasket, and adding fuel/ignition, and tuning...what else would be needed?

What exact parts do you Lexus turbo-gurus suggest for these upgrades?:

-ignition
-fuel
-head gasket
-tuning

Anything else? I was thinking of just going with Accel DFI, or an A'pex Power FC for tuning duty. I was thinking of an HKS kit, or the F-max kit...which is recommended? How strong is the factory motor? How much well-tuned power can the stock internals hold before they give up?

Anything else?

I would greatly appreciate any answers. Thanks!
Old 10-08-01, 10:52 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know of anyone doing the Apexi Power FC yet... base fuel maps may be hard to work out without someone else doing it first.

The Haltech E6k is used often on these with success.

SpeedPro also used.

Typical parts used:

SP modified HKS tubular exhaust headers or
Toyomoto cast iron manifold

Toyomoto head gasket

Supra Turbo 1991 fuel pump (drop in) good for 450rwhp.

440cc injectors or larger (requires Haltec or HKS VPC)

Smallest turbos recommended T04E 60.
Largest???? T70?

Supra TT 93-98 side mount intercooler or better recommended.

Supra TT 6spd tranny clutch and rear diff recommended.

Supra TT brakes.
Old 10-08-01, 12:57 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Thanks for the input. I will most likely be going with a large front mount intercooler, and either a 60-1 turbocharger, or a GReddy single turbo unit. As for stock internals, well tuned, what is the limit. For Hondas, which most people don't know, the limit is nearly 350hp+...and I figure the Toyota/Lexus motors can hold more.
Old 10-08-01, 01:11 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

800+rwhp for stock internals on a 2JZ-GTE. Thats not touching anything within the block, but changing out cams and valve springs, and everything outside the engine. The 2JZ-GE shares most of the internals, and would expect similar results, maybe slightly less. As far as I know, the later model Supra TTs had slightly reinforced connecting rods and oil jets on the pistons, but that's about it for differences, don't know how much that contributes to their ability to hold power.

There are several 2JZ-GE stock engines making 400-500rwhp through turbocharging (mine included). I haven't heard of anyone destroying the block by boosting, but have heard of clutches exploding and ruining the block. Even at 400rwhp, mine has survived occasional detonation without incident.

A well supported P-trim 60-1 with proper A/R can make 450-500rwhp on turbo alone, and another 100 on the bottle.

The stock 5-spd would be practically useless at this level, though.
Old 10-08-01, 02:37 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Awesome! Thank you very much for the info man, I appreciate it.
Old 10-09-01, 01:18 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

sc300t covered most everything...the stock motor will handle 600rwhp no problem if it is .....haltech is a great stand alone so you can run what ever injectors ect for fuel...and make your own timiing maps......also stock compression can handle about 10psi with correct fuel and timming......5spd trannies i was popping regularly at 440rwhp...and street driving...
as far as kit..HKS dosent offer a kit for the 2jzge motor...this head is different than the 2jzgte motor in the supras so there turbo kits dont work on a 2jzge motor
f-max is garbage..there manifolds leak...piping is grap....a supra at nopi even caught on fire due to the wires falling on the manifold...<thats was leaking exahust gas also>//.....Toyomoto make an excellent kit for these cars.....i have had it for over 2 years now......sc300t has had it for about a year.....and computerwiz is awating his now..i saw him at toyomoto today...if you look at this months turbo magazine you will see a toyomoto turbo kit on an is300...the kits are slightly different on the sc300 but are very similar..you get a good idea on quality.......if you have any questions feel free to ask i will answer what ever i can honestly for you.....Jeff
SC300turbo@aol.com
Old 10-09-01, 02:24 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Awesome. I will check into the Toyomoto kit right now. I appreciate everyone's kindness.
Old 10-09-01, 02:41 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

im glad you moved up in the world...im a former owner of a few acura integras,,including a gsr......but they dont compare to a turboed lexus...Jeff
toyomoto 305-599-3050
Old 10-09-01, 03:49 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I think we've all grown up on GSRs.. Good training vehicles.

My 5spd has lasted a year so far putting down least 350-400rwhp. The clutch is a real sore spot... Either you get a clutch that hooks and breaks the tranny, or you've got one that doesn't always hook, but is forgiving... Jeff has done some launches on slicks when he had a double diaphragm clutch and it was just too much for the 5spd to handle over a period of time(nevermind he beats the crap out of it!!!). Mine is an RPS carbon stage 3 that has also given me nothing but trouble. Initial installation problems, quality problems, burns and slips at the track, chatters around town.... It even went through a stage where it wouldn't completely disengage, and was grinding gears. I got so frustrated that I did a series of 6k clutch drops that for some reason brought it back to normal... I've never even ran drag radials on it in fear that it will break, let alone slicks. On a 6k clutch dump, it either sticks and burns the tires or it slips and never hooks to the flywheel.
Old 10-09-01, 05:33 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i never had clutch issues except for a blown up pressure plate in the 5spd...i had big tranny issues...the 5spd seems to hold 400 rwhp great...its the extra 40hp and 40tq that kept killing it...i used the clutchmasters dual diaphram........it definitly gripped...Jeff
Old 10-10-01, 09:56 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

hey scott, jeff

i'm sure i have spoken to you both on seperate occasions, but refresh my memory

with the turbo set up i will be going with, FMIC, toyomoto manifold, t60-1 , will going with just a clutch upgrade do it?? or will i be blowing tranny's with hard launches too?? cause if that is the case, i will wait till late january when i can afford the six speed swap. I would prefer to be able to stay stock and still have drivability. i won't be doing a lot of starts off the line hard, (i hope) so day to day drivability is the most important thing for me

Arthur
Old 10-10-01, 10:32 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same for me jeff... there won't be any hard launches off the line for me because i prolly won't get hte LSD until i get the 6-speed... which i'd like to have a turbo up and running now
Old 10-10-01, 01:02 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

in my experience...if you stay around 400rwhp you should be ok for a long time....scott has been that way with no tranny issues for a long time....i reccommend doing a clutch and start saving for a 6apd....the tranny is bullet proof....and is worth the swap.....so i reccommend doing the turbo and give your tranny a kiss every now and then.. plus i was able to find 5spd tranny for like 500 each when i was killing them...Jeff
Old 10-11-01, 08:25 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

great..that means what....about 10lb of boost?? or something around that?? i definitely don't want a blown tranny. how much is the 6sp tranny anyway??

Arthur
Old 10-11-01, 08:50 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400rwhp is somewhere around 12-15psi... if i remember right 15psi should be 450...
400rwhp should be 12 I'm guessin
you can make 400rwhp with a T60-1 turbo with no problem

check out http://www.thepartstrader.com

i see trannies go on there for around $1500 used or $2500 new

Last edited by Bean; 10-11-01 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Essential Upgrades For Turbo Install?