Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

getting an sc400, but want to TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 11:10 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
Dandan,
folks are recommending you the SC300 to start with because you can attain a turbo SC for MUCH less expense and still have a "v8 like powerband"..and when tuned properly, even better than V8 power. What are your goals for the car? (daily driver? drag racing car? road racing track car?, etc) Telling us this will help us advise you better .
I don't agree with this. With a turbocharged V8 and when tuned properly, it'll be a lot faster than a turbocharged SC300 with the same psi. I know I'll be receiving some comments from those folks with turbocharged SC300. A larger V8 will give more torques and hp. Anyway, this still depends on personal preference. If the SC300 has a manual tranny, then it might be a better choice for holding more power than a auto tranny V8. However, if 2 SCs have the auto trannies, then why not going for a V8? I'm currently planning and having some parts already on-hands for building a turbocharged V8.

The headaches and costs will be hard to justify. It's not $10K like some of you have said earlier. I'm only putting down $2500 for my 400 hp turbocharged SC V8. Well, I'm doing it myself so it's different. With the same $4500-$5000 for the SC300, I guarantee a turbocharged V8 can be done at the right place. The Lextreme forum has some V8 turbo projects going on. It's here: www.lextreme.com.

Last edited by stevechumo; 09-30-06 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-01-06, 12:27 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

im thinkin of sellin my sc3 for a sc4 and goin tt with that. i have been thinkin about it all day. i have been looking for parts for the swap. i have almost eveything figured out. it shouldnt cost much for the tt install. most of the money i see is in the tranny, rear diff, and axels. im even thinking of turning my den into a shop so i can mock up the piping for the twin turbo. too bad they dont make the fake engines like american motors have. if i had a garage to do i would be 100% sure i wanna do this. if anyone in central NJ area thinking about TT a V8 let me know. im up for helping out and maybe making a turbo kit for me too.
Old 10-01-06, 02:05 AM
dandan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Let me honest here for a minute, I have done many cars in the past, from chevelle to ford to mopar. I've put an 454 in to an 1981 Chevette. I love doing what people say can't be done. For example the stock tranny going to be pulled as well as the rearend( well maby) I was looking at the lextreem motors with a uz at 900-1300 hp. Look at a Chevy 383: a 350ci bored 30 over with a 400 crank. I look at the uz the same ways I do a small block chevy. After I redo the motor, comes the tranny I'm thinking th400 or tko600( something 5 or 6 speed) as for the rearedn I'm looking at a ford 9 inch. After all this then I start the TT. As for the body a simple kit will do even wide body bbut the hood will have to be custome with some air induction to help keep everything cool. I may even scrap the tt and go supercharged. 1500rwhp or better would be nice but I'll have to wait till I am done. All this and besides I have a little downtime here and nothing better to do, I mean it's not like I can go out to the bar or mall or something like that.