Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

general forced induction question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 06:56 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
Another uneducated statement. The beauty of Turbos are the variety of options that you can have. Smaller turbos make boost at lower RPM with limitations on total volume. My stock twins make 18lbs of boost at 1800 RPM. I can smoke my very sticky rubber through 1st gear from a stand still. NO stall convertor or neutral drop. Just gas and go!

Plus I get 10 MPG more than my NA motor.

Uneducated...Pal, I owned a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo for many years, very similar to your car...Your un-earthly all lowend and no topend twin turbo power is impressive if true on your TT Mitz..... I believe your car to be a 5 speed manual if I am not mistaken, right?? I am sure anyone without turbo's can roast the rear tires with a manual tranny..Teach me something new so I can be educated like you, please.....Why don't you pop the clutch and coast at around 5mph and at engine idle and try and punch it..What happens? My guess is you will not spin the rears tires immediately..... I may be uneducated but I do know alot about your car and your small twin turbo's sitting on that six banger.....Please tell the whole story please and not just the results from frying out your clutch from launch to produce immediate high reving ahhh lowend torque..??.......

Rising sun - Unless you swapped in a set of Variable Vane Turbo's you have limited power from idle.. There is some delay out of the blocks.....N/A power to maybe 2000 rpms right?....I fully understand spool up time my friend...

Just for the record the 300zx twins always lost boost after a good canyon run.....A ton of money to always fix also....With that being said, give me the single medium sized turbo on my 1uz-fe and I would be as happy as can be...

1uz-fe V8 N/A power combined with a good stall rate torque converter will have plenty of lowend torque too accomadate turbo lag..That is an exception and is why I would love to turbo up my ride....Smaller motors need more help like a clutch.......

Also - to make a V8 lexus motor lay down 500hp N/A is just about impossible while still being street legal....The only 4.3Liter v8 motor I know that almost made 500hp N/A is the very expensive Ferrari 340 motor...It is street legal and the engineering in it is off the charts...

Last edited by jibbby; 09-12-06 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-12-06, 07:38 PM
sc3dreamz
Rookie

has anyone ran the GT series turbo's with our cars? I know that spool depends on different factors but I was just curious if anyone has had the different types, as far as standard and dbb. I've felt the difference first hand in a friends car and boost was a couple hundred rpms sooner. The real question is, is it worth the money say a gt35R v.s. a pt61. My opinion is unless your tracking the car, a few hundred rpm's on the street isnt worhth 1000k more bucks. I just noticed on most sites you hear everyone asking about spool and what rpm did you see full boost by, ect ect ect. Just wanted to hear some of the comments on this site. Thanks.
Old 09-12-06, 08:30 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scdreamz
has anyone ran the GT series turbo's with our cars? I know that spool depends on different factors but I was just curious if anyone has had the different types, as far as standard and dbb. I've felt the difference first hand in a friends car and boost was a couple hundred rpms sooner. The real question is, is it worth the money say a gt35R v.s. a pt61. My opinion is unless your tracking the car, a few hundred rpm's on the street isnt worhth 1000k more bucks. I just noticed on most sites you hear everyone asking about spool and what rpm did you see full boost by, ect ect ect. Just wanted to hear some of the comments on this site. Thanks.

My Project SC400TT has (2) Garrett GT Turbos...GT2871R to be precise. These were matched to the 1UZ based upon splitting the block into 2 4 bangers...Matched the air flow charts with the 1UZ. Will let you know how it is and all details when running...Hopefully by the end of this week...

Ryan
Old 09-13-06, 05:33 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
Uneducated...Pal, I owned a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo for many years, very similar to your car...Your un-earthly all lowend and no topend twin turbo power is impressive if true on your TT Mitz..... I believe your car to be a 5 speed manual if I am not mistaken, right?? I am sure anyone without turbo's can roast the rear tires with a manual tranny..Teach me something new so I can be educated like you, please.....Why don't you pop the clutch and coast at around 5mph and at engine idle and try and punch it..What happens? My guess is you will not spin the rears tires immediately..... I may be uneducated but I do know alot about your car and your small twin turbo's sitting on that six banger.....Please tell the whole story please and not just the results from frying out your clutch from launch to produce immediate high reving ahhh lowend torque..??.......

Rising sun - Unless you swapped in a set of Variable Vane Turbo's you have limited power from idle.. There is some delay out of the blocks.....N/A power to maybe 2000 rpms right?....I fully understand spool up time my friend...

Just for the record the 300zx twins always lost boost after a good canyon run.....A ton of money to always fix also....With that being said, give me the single medium sized turbo on my 1uz-fe and I would be as happy as can be...

1uz-fe V8 N/A power combined with a good stall rate torque converter will have plenty of lowend torque too accomadate turbo lag..That is an exception and is why I would love to turbo up my ride....Smaller motors need more help like a clutch.......

Also - to make a V8 lexus motor lay down 500hp N/A is just about impossible while still being street legal....The only 4.3Liter v8 motor I know that almost made 500hp N/A is the very expensive Ferrari 340 motor...It is street legal and the engineering in it is off the charts...
Hmmm... PAL, I've owned 2 turbo 11 sec Talons, a turbo A4, a 12 Sec WRX and now this SC300.....

And again another mis-informed statement from Jibby.... My console looks like an auto to me???! I complete ALL my mods (motor work, electronics, suspension and detailing) myself. If you would like more info on a manual 1JZ, please contact Cherplex. I completed his swap. So I can attest the superiority of the turbo auto trans and we dont have the shifting and slipping problems that you have had. We also a few 400+ Lexus' on autos and more to come as we speak. So stop being a bench racer trying to peddler mis-information and start actually working on cars. I have also owned a SC400 and am currently working on modifying 4 SC400s at the moment. Again, please do more research before making more un-supported remarks. I have completed more motor mods on SCs and GSs than you have done research on.

Old 09-13-06, 05:58 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scdreamz
GT40R here
A bit more displacemet comming soon

gadgetSC-t
Old 09-13-06, 06:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Guys, keep this topic impersonal please. If you disagree with someone's statement, refute it without the name calling and personal history.
Old 09-13-06, 08:05 AM
jibbby

Rising - Relax on testing my knowledge and experience....I have been working on big and small block Chevy's before you were even born...283's, 327's, 350,s, 383,s, 427, and the almighty 454's...Real NA power....These motors if ever boosted were boosted by superchargers and not by turbo's for a reason....

I may not be an expert on turbo's but I know the basics, and the basic's that I am most concerned about is spool up time when turbo charging...Off the line power....If that is being uneducated then so be it....

You can call me uneducated, uniformed, what ever, as long as it makes you happy and warn inside....For your info - My tranny did slip and experience untimely shifts because it is worked over by the instant and aggressive power of my NOS system in combination with all my other Mods and my constant and contunued street racing....I do more then just work and build up cars with my own two hands like you do, I actually get out there and see if my car can hang with the newer sports cars of today..Like Vette's, Mustangs, Camero's, Porsche's, Chargers, turbo's 4 bangers, turbo'd six bangers too, etc...I do ok most of the time, lose some once in a while to the big boys but win most...Can you attest to that? I would be happy to race any one of your turbo'd cars 0-60mph and shut you down with my non turbo'd slipping lemon...I have a hunch you would lose...Step up son...sun...

Stop talking trash it has no place on this thread as Dave GS4 said..
Attached Thumbnails general forced induction question-hpim0407a.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 09-13-06 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-13-06, 08:20 AM
jibbby

I got pictures too...Pictures speak louder then words, but real racing speaks louder then pics....
Attached Thumbnails general forced induction question-picture-122.jpg  
Old 09-13-06, 08:26 AM
jibbby

Traction and overall weight reduction, also get the car moving out of the blocks...
Attached Thumbnails general forced induction question-hpim0435b.jpg  
Old 09-13-06, 08:29 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
Rising - Relax on testing my knowledge and experience....I have been working on big and small block Chevy's before you were even born...283's, 327's, 350,s, 383,s, 427, and the almighty 454's...Real NA power....These motors if ever boosted were boosted by superchargers and not by turbo's for a reason....

I may not be an expert on turbo's but I know the basics, and the basic's that I am most concerned about is spool up time when turbo charging...Off the line power....If that is being uneducated then so be it....

You can call me uneducated, uniformed, what ever, as long as it makes you happy and warn inside....For your info - My tranny did slip and experience untimely shifts because it is worked over by the instant and aggressive power of my NOS system in combination with all my other Mods and my constant and contunued street racing....I do more then just work and build up cars with my own two hands like you do, I actually get out there and see if my car can hang with the newer sports cars of today..Like Vette's, Mustangs, Camero's, Porsche's, Chargers, turbo's 4 bangers, turbo'd six bangers too, etc...I do ok most of the time, lose some once in a while to the big boys but win most...Can you attest to that? I would be happy to race any one of your turbo'd cars 0-60mph and shut you down with my non turbo'd slipping lemon...I have a hunch you would lose...Step up son...sun...

Stop talking trash it has no place on this thread as Dave GS4 said..
Well I'm IMPRESSED I guess you were working on cars in diapers seeing that you're only a few months older than I. And I certainly do not trash talk I just state facts. As far as "american Muscle" I've had my share and have matured from that dark side.

Hmm... a challenge? All I've heard from you is endless threads of "talk". Can Anyone personally back your claims of how fast your car is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkSo0RFbuGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ervoeLrMs

I have countless hours of rolling videos to back my claim....

I'm prepared to meet you at any track between us and we can compare 1/4 mile stats. REAL NUMBERS!
Old 09-13-06, 08:30 AM
jibbby

No lag with this........
Attached Thumbnails general forced induction question-hpim0335.jpg  
Old 09-13-06, 08:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

This thread is closed.

Thanks to Jibby and Rising Sun for ignoring my request and ruining a great thread.