Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

reducing the weight of our cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06 | 05:30 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

You know I hear comments about these carbon fiber hoods all the time...What's the deal? Does a lighter hood really make the car faster noticeably? I find it extremely hard to believe....

I have heard comments, like in the above post "carbon fiber hood, night and day", "I've heard the car feels faster", "it's a noticeable difference" ETC..Etc.....

Is 35 or 40 pounds shaved off the front hood really justify these comments? Fact or fiction do you feel a difference after installing a carbon fiber hood on an SC???, ANYONE????? No spice please....

I dropped 40 pounds or so with my battery change and with the electric fan swap...Didn't feel a thing from the weight reduction...So why would a hood be any different?
Old 12-20-06 | 06:29 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jibbby
You know I hear comments about these carbon fiber hoods all the time...What's the deal? Does a lighter hood really make the car faster noticeably? I find it extremely hard to believe....

I have heard comments, like in the above post "carbon fiber hood, night and day", "I've heard the car feels faster", "it's a noticeable difference" ETC..Etc.....

Is 35 or 40 pounds shaved off the front hood really justify these comments? Fact or fiction do you feel a difference after installing a carbon fiber hood on an SC???, ANYONE????? No spice please....

I dropped 40 pounds or so with my battery change and with the electric fan swap...Didn't feel a thing from the weight reduction...So why would a hood be any different?
my g/f and i drive the 400 all the time, we both noted a slight difference, and also other people noted too without mentioning it to anyone. these are car enthusiasts. my acura's hood came in at 40 lbs even almost. i didn't weigh the sc400 hood, it's sitting in my shed and not coming out for a long time, it HAS to weigh over 50 lbs, i'd say close to 60. and the cf hood cant weigh more than 20 lbs at most. so thats about 40 lbs gone, not to mention i did the trunk at the same time, which is at least another 15 lbs. i'd say its safe to say if you do BOTH you will drop over 50 lbs. 50 lbs is pretty substantial. and where i live the temperatures get colder, and the cars get faster, so yes, i think it is quite noticeable.

my distributor said the hood is the largest hood they sell aside from SUV hoods, so that tells you something right there.
Old 12-20-06 | 07:04 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

for the electric fan would you reccomend flex-a-lite?
Old 12-20-06 | 07:40 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Flex-a-lite works fine on my SC400...However the temperature thermostick and control box that comes with the fans are complete garbage...The flex-a-lite fans with maybe a Bosche control box and a good engine block heat sensor I would definetely recommend... Not only do you lose front end car weight you also gain a few ponies from the swap itself...It's a double win...

There is a current fan swap thread at Lextreme.com..Named "10-20hp gains with flex-a-lite fans"...Pictures and complete how to write up by me on how to do this swap successfully...Check it out if you want to do this swap, it may just save you alot of future headaches...

If you live in a real hot climate, I would try to squeeze in larger electric fans just incase....

So with the change of a Carbon Fiber hood the Sc's are noticealby quicker?..WOW, I just don't see it....50 pounds is 50 pounds though...However, I removed the spare tire, tools and CD changer all at once and felt nothing and that was like 70 pounds...

Maybe I have no feelings......

Last edited by jibbby; 12-20-06 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-20-06 | 08:38 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
You can lose 5,000 lbs by selling the car and buying a sports car instead of a luxury car.
lol best response so far
Old 12-20-06 | 09:01 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Originally Posted by O. L. T.
You can lose 5,000 lbs by selling the car and buying a sports car instead of a luxury car.
lol best response so far
Best piece of advice ever posted in the sc forums
Old 12-20-06 | 10:36 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

sucks doesn't it------

I wish there was a light sportscar that looked as good as the sc---

definitely not one of these...
Old 12-21-06 | 07:21 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

I know this thread has been done before, and I think there is little easy weight loss on these cars. If I got a carbon fiber hood and trunk I would have to paint them. Talk about breaking the bank there. I think its time to look at upping the h.p. by about 50, but am not sold on nos.
Old 12-21-06 | 08:11 PM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
lol best response so far
very true. and highly recommended... hehe
my other car is a 2100 lb MR2 Spyder.
Old 12-22-06 | 12:09 AM
semdaddy
Pole Position

Question

weight question...i kno alot of mustang guys put sandbags or dumbells in the trunk..for traction any1 try that with their( worked sc300/400) lexus ?
...and i herd 240sx carbon fiber doors.. might fit with sum adjusment is this a true story
Old 12-22-06 | 12:45 AM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

best weight reduction, get a lighter girlfriend or dump her altogether
Old 12-22-06 | 03:40 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

To answer my own question, torque conv. and headers. Only problem is that I dont have a lift to do the work, or a good mech. that I want to pay.
Old 12-22-06 | 03:45 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

To answer Jibbys question, we all know 100lbs.=1/10 in the quarter. Carbon fiber, then paint it. Thats why I was looking for other weightlosses. If I spent $3000.00 on c.f. Id have to make my self believe it was a huge diff.
Old 12-22-06 | 04:28 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

C/F Hood/Trunk= ~ $2000 or more??? Power increase= 0 , 1/10th in the 1/4

Custom Turbo setup= $????????????????? Power Increase= A LOT!

If a guy is capable of doing his own fab work, and all the stuff is bought in good used condition, a turbo setup can be built fairly cheap--- For a big single or a medium single--

All that just to say, power adders are a better way to spend the cash, then just strip the interior for track days--

That way it can stay a luxury car, and a good one at that.
Old 12-22-06 | 05:10 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
C/F Hood/Trunk= ~ $2000 or more??? Power increase= 0 , 1/10th in the 1/4

Custom Turbo setup= $????????????????? Power Increase= A LOT!

If a guy is capable of doing his own fab work, and all the stuff is bought in good used condition, a turbo setup can be built fairly cheap--- For a big single or a medium single--

All that just to say, power adders are a better way to spend the cash, then just strip the interior for track days--

That way it can stay a luxury car, and a good one at that.
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan

Quick Reply: reducing the weight of our cars