Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

reducing the weight of our cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 08:48 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you guys getting your prices... i see $2,000-3,000.... i barely paid 1100 to my door for both the hood/trunk brand new.
Old 12-23-06, 06:39 AM
jmineo
Driver School Candidate

Default Don't fill 'er up!

The 92 SC's have a 21.5 gallon tank. If a gallon of gas is about six pounds, then filling your tank half full leaves 64 pounds off the car. I never put more than 10 in the tank....mainly because we don't drive the car daily and can get away with it. Keeps fresher gas going in the tank more oftern too.
Old 12-23-06, 01:45 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Dudes, weight reduction has many benefits to it that you are all not considering.....Not only does the car become lighter in weight and slightly faster, better fuel economy, less strain on all the cars parts, a lighter weight SC will also be able to support greater power without failure, the cars life expectancy increases, what else? Reduced wear on suspension and other moving parts, increased suspension performance, better handling, better braking power, etc..etc..the list goes on....

Yeah you can boost up, but losing car weight also has many more benefits other then just the 1/10 speed gain in the quater mile with the 100lbs weight reduction......

Weight reduction rocks in contrary to what most are saying....Consider this - drop 250lbs and drive the car as a daily driver for two or three years....I would venture to guess the fuel savings alone would pay for all the weight reduction expenses...No?

My theory on why Import cars last so much longer then the domestic made cars over the years...A light weight Toyota rolls forever in comparison to the heavy and more powerful domestic V8 Ford's, Chevy and Dodge...Why? I would like to think it's a combination of three things - engineering, the cars weight differences, and the difference in power being delivered...

Last edited by jibbby; 12-23-06 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-23-06, 04:10 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
But an ATI procharger is STILL half the price of all that combined.... And will make your car faster than all those mods combined--

BUT, if you got the money-- a procharger on top of all that-- WHEW....

That would be closer to a 175 hp gain...

Basically double the power...

All for a measley $7000 .....................................
for less than 2 grand, you can do a 1jz swap that makes an advertised 280 hp, 360 tq... and that motor responds to mods very very well...

price vs performance, the 1jz swap is definitely the king...
Old 12-23-06, 08:58 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1JZ= 280 hp/ 265~ tq. BUT-- With a few mods, it can easily easily make 350 tq-- Hell, I think just adding big exhaust, big fmic, hardpipes= ~40 hp/tq or so..

Mods wake turbo motors up like no other..

Ha ha-- I was reading about the "weaknesses" of the 1J, and they say that there are only two-- Turbos like to die above 15 psi, which should be good for 350hp or so, maybe, --- Also, the head gasket goes at about 22 psi--

Like that's a weakness-- what a stout motor, a big single and 18 psi should be strong enough to roast your tires with ease and make you think about wider wheels and rubber....

I'm in on that--

I agree on reducing the weight of a vehicle, I never disagreed with it, and I would start by removing a large amt. of the steel in the doors--- and gutting the panel behind the seats, and getting a 10 gal. fuel cell to replace the stock behemoth--

Just think-- you could actually build an enclosure behind a 10" woofer in the rear deck with a fuel cell-- while killing 100 lbs --

$1100 sounds cheap for hood and trunk -- that's not bad, but how much do they weigh?? A lot less than stock?? I'm all for dropping 200 lbs or so off that beast.. And that's just getting started-- I wonder how much weight you can drop by getting aftermarket wheel's and tires, as well as coilovers????

300 lbs with better sound would be plain awesome---

That would make it handle better and have a lower center of gravity.

You still NEED a 1JZ tho--
Old 12-24-06, 02:37 AM
spoiledkid
Pole Position

i bought my sc because i beleive we have more potential than supras. so if supra guys do mods to lose weight why should i do any less than what there doin. you guys also forgot about an aluminum racing radiator great mod and lighter. also cf hood and trunk really help lower center of gravity big time you'll see the difference in taking a hard right at 10mph. i ran a 60 ft. of 1.703 by lightening my car and good rubber. my 14" brembo kit - rotors 10lbs., calipers 7lbs. thats a big difference on the rotating mass. my car has 213,000 miles and no slicks and getting a 60 ft. of 1.7 is amazing my friends STI had a slower 60 ft.
Old 12-24-06, 07:12 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

like i said, 50+ lbs are dropped when doing the hood/trunk combo
Old 12-24-06, 08:42 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

How does the hood and trunk compare to stock as far as fitment, sound, and looks go? Does it all rattle around? How hard were they to install and allign? Lastly where can you buy them at a great price?...I am considering...Thanks..

Last edited by jibbby; 12-24-06 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-24-06, 03:53 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

the trunk fit great, took all of 15 minutes to install. the hood is a bit tricky, but nothing too terrible. sound? no increase in sound. looks... looks good on my black car, but ill still be painting it eventually. i bought them at a local shop.
Old 12-31-06, 03:47 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Has anyone weighted the rear spoiler, as that would be lost with a C.F. trunk.
Old 12-31-06, 04:20 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by over40driv
Has anyone weighted the rear spoiler, as that would be lost with a C.F. trunk.
its not very heavy, probly like 5 lbs or so
Old 01-01-07, 12:57 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

all the carpet is approx. 20 lbs give or take a few for dirt and water.

long story short bad weather and an oppen sun roof go a long way towards needing new carpet.
Old 01-01-07, 05:08 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Wouldnt it be cool to have a C.F. hood, and instead of having hood pins, having those 1/4 turn screws like the race cars use.
Old 01-04-07, 10:39 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Where can I get lighter windows and are they street legal?
Old 01-06-07, 08:08 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Guess I need to look for a Seibon C.F. dealer in the Lou. Ky. area. I still say the cool 1/4 turn racing screws would be sweet.

Quick Reply: reducing the weight of our cars