Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

reducing the weight of our cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 07:59 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quit dating fat chicks
Old 03-12-08, 09:58 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by traps1971
i just put tt supra seats in over the weekend lost 56# and a braille light batt. in lost 26# there 82# in a couple of hours not bad
Power or manual on the driver's side Supra seat?
Old 11-23-08, 10:01 PM
ekrebs
Lead Lap

Anyone ever thought of getting rid of our heavy 20+ gallon fuel tank for an aluminum fuel cell??
Old 11-24-08, 06:04 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im looking for more weight loss from the front since theres more weight there. Good thinking though, we need more good ideas. Is till like the power sun roof delete. I have no expearience with fuel cells.Thanks for bringing back my old thread.
Old 11-24-08, 06:14 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

front half the car, make a tubular chrome-moly space frame with rocker arm shock system

then back half the car.

then throw it out because it is no longer considered a lexus.

there is no real way in our cars to lose significant amount of weight without sacrificing creature comforts and other amenities.

if you truly want to lose weight and it is done for the sake of going faster at the track, then:

1. CF hood, trunk, doors, sunroof delete (fenders are not heavy and the cost of FRP ones is not justified)
2. fuel cell
3. abs delete
4. cruise control delete
5. ac delete
6. trac delete
7. tubular rear subframe and front k-member
8. remove heater core
9. replace windows with lexan or plexi
10. full interior delete

at this point you will have roughly a 2500lb car easily... but it wont be a lexus anymore. it will be a toyota made chassis that looks the day it came out of the welding section of the factory before all accessories got installed

i want me one...

i wouldnt care if i lost eveything but heat. most people, im sure, dont feel the same.
Old 11-24-08, 06:25 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were making a track car, Im sure you would replace the tilt steering column with a steering wheel disconnect also. I just want to do what I can and still have a nice, lighter SC.
Old 01-28-09, 10:26 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would keep everything in, and have like a full luxury sport car.
Old 01-28-09, 10:36 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

isn't ABS delete a huge PITA on our cars?
Old 01-28-09, 09:42 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL-SC
maybe we should also include $/lbs
for example if the new carbon fiber hood is $500 and you only save ~25lbs thats 20 $/lb.
or a Ti exhaust is $1000 and it saves ~20lbs thats 50 $/lb
i think weight saving should dafinatly be rated in effectivness per cost because some of these ideas while not bad, just arent paractical on paper. or like always money is just better spen elsewhere.
thank u, finally somebody said it. think of all the money u would be spending to save few pounds, additionally, your car would sound and feel like shiat. i did that crap to my previous car and it was the stupidest thing i've ever done, especially after i went turbo. Think about all that money that could be spent on a turbo setup, which will actually make your car faster, did i hear handling? oh okay, keep your light car and i'll keep my luxury turboed sc and see if u can keep me in sight on the track....
Old 01-29-09, 01:23 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish i had 2 SC's i would deffinetely strip one
Old 01-29-09, 01:32 PM
ekrebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by over40driv
I was hoping for closer to 10 on the cd changer, also when the hyd. fan goes bad, I believe you can loose a lot of weight and gain space with a dual elec. fan.
Your right its 10.4 lbs
Old 07-01-10, 09:26 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

i might me resurecting this thread but i wanted to know what about removing tha A.C system ?? im about to do it but noticed that the belt would have to be changed .Where could i locate one?
Old 07-02-10, 06:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipe
i might me resurecting this thread but i wanted to know what about removing tha A.C system ?? im about to do it but noticed that the belt would have to be changed .Where could i locate one?
You won't... you would be missing a pulley that is important for belt routing...

the a/c compressor is pretty free spinning so long as it isn't engaged, and the compressor only weighs 5 lbs maybe... not worth the hassle...

if you were really serious, you could fabricate a plate with a idler pulley the same size and placement as the compressor and bolt that into place... unlike some cheaper cars that it is easy to do this with, our cars do not have a version without a/c from the factory...
Old 07-02-10, 06:23 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
You won't... you would be missing a pulley that is important for belt routing...

the a/c compressor is pretty free spinning so long as it isn't engaged, and the compressor only weighs 5 lbs maybe... not worth the hassle...

if you were really serious, you could fabricate a plate with a idler pulley the same size and placement as the compressor and bolt that into place... unlike some cheaper cars that it is easy to do this with, our cars do not have a version without a/c from the factory...
or you could just get a shorter belt.......
Old 07-02-10, 06:33 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggu
or you could just get a shorter belt.......
SC300, for sure, SC400, not quite sure - it would still make contact with all the pulleys necessary, but would not put much surface area around one for sure...

Quick Reply: reducing the weight of our cars