Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Limiting factors in turboing the SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 12:51 PM
Z28owner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limiting factors in turboing the SC400?

I see a lot of threads where people recommend a Soarer engine swap or starting with a SC300.

My problem is I'm in Canada and have no access to SC300s here. So I'm looking at buying a SC400 unless someone wants to drive up an SC300 for me.

Why is it so expensive to turbo the SC400? Not including the turbo kit, what are the limiting factors? Pistons? Fuel? Transmission?
Old 09-26-06, 02:02 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

The biggest problem is space...... The other is the fact everything has to be custom made. Such as your exhaust manifold , getting the turbo or turbo's you want, getting the I/C piping correctly run, making sure you are getting enough fuel, custom exhaust, and alot of other stuff. After a while it adds up... Someone just started a thread about dropping a 1JZ into a SC400 so it fits and with the SC400 subframe also.
Old 09-26-06, 03:06 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gibenstein
The biggest problem is space...... The other is the fact everything has to be custom made. Such as your exhaust manifold , getting the turbo or turbo's you want, getting the I/C piping correctly run, making sure you are getting enough fuel, custom exhaust, and alot of other stuff. After a while it adds up... Someone just started a thread about dropping a 1JZ into a SC400 so it fits and with the SC400 subframe also.
+1
There are no readily available kits for the SC400 and space is tight in the engine bay for all the piping. You could go the Ms. Em route and mount it underbody.
It's doable just expensive to turbo the 400.
Old 09-26-06, 06:09 PM
Z28owner
Driver School Candidate

Ok lets forget about the cost of custom manifolds and piping. I got that covered. It will be fairly cheap. Just the cost of material for me.

Fuel: Walbro 225 or Aeromotive inline pump can handle the fuel problem no? Or would I need custom fuel lines?

And yes I can mount the turbo(s) under the car.

But can the engine and transmission handle it?

Do I need a stand alone computer or can the stock ECU see boost and be tuned for such?
Old 09-26-06, 06:33 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

-Do a simple dual electic fan swap and you will free tons of space, pic up a few ponies and reduce front end weight......Total price maybe $300 and a days work with deleting the hydro pump...

- Working the dual header exhaust to meet the single turbo in V design...Fabing those pipes to fit with the turbo is challenging....

Those are the two biggest road blocks in my opinion with turbo charging the 400's....Choosing the correct Engine managent system such as a piggy back ECU or stand alone ECU is also important and expensive for final tunning...

Here is a pic of my SC400 and the room I created with the dual flex-a-lite fan swap....Can easily fit in a turbo now...
Attached Thumbnails Limiting factors in turboing the SC400?-hpim0427.jpg  
Old 09-26-06, 06:40 PM
jibbby

This is what the deleted hydo pump on the SC400 pulley system looks like after the fan swap...I just drilled and tapped out a larger hole on the hydro pump upper right corner to fully secure the free spinning idler pulley in it's place.....Cost me $25 at pep boys, plus the hardened bolt and locking washers.....Been running these fans for over a year and they are great and cool fantastic on the hottest of days with the A/C on...Can't say anything bad about the swap...

Note - The fan controls and temp stick suck that come with the flex-a-lite fans...

Here is a dirty picture taken right after I did the swap...
Attached Thumbnails Limiting factors in turboing the SC400?-hpim0432.jpg  
Old 09-26-06, 07:04 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

Here's the important question that needs to be answered before any others...

What are your power goals?
Old 09-26-06, 07:15 PM
Z28owner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TT6SPDSC
Here's the important question that needs to be answered before any others...

What are your power goals?
North of 450 rwhp.

What about this setup?

http://www.mechtech-ms.com/mag7.php
Old 09-26-06, 07:18 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

v8-tt with a v160 is the sexiest thing known to man...
Old 09-26-06, 08:10 PM
Z28owner
Driver School Candidate

Which raises another question, is it not better to do a single turbo?

In the F-body community going TT is just for bragging rights. A single turbo is more efficient but if a TT is not much of a difference I'll do that.
Old 09-26-06, 08:20 PM
Z28owner
Driver School Candidate

Jibbby: Thanx for the fan mod tip.

I've done a few custom mods in my time but mostly F-body stuff.
Old 09-26-06, 09:07 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

450 will be cake to acheive on the v8. Get a GT30R, it's dual ball bearing, so it will spool very quickly, but easily make 450 rwhp.

You'll want to get the trans upgraded, as well as a converter and a good cooler. Be prepared to spend 3-4K in that area.

The Supra TT fuel pump will be plenty, or the Walbro 255. The TT pump will outflow the Walbro at 12 volts, but either will do.

I'd reccomend not doing the "tailpipe turbo" as it will require an additional pump to get the oil back into the pan. If that pump dies it means immediate death to your turbo. Plus, if you run the 35r it's also water cooled. That means oil and water lines run under the car to it.

You'll need an SAFC at the least for tuning. I'll check into this some more tomorrow, there may be a better option. It's possible that there's a Techtom upgrade for the v8 ecu....

You could also do a Vortec type supercharger set-up...
Old 09-26-06, 09:33 PM
Z28owner
Driver School Candidate

No superchargers. How much horsepower is required to run 11s in these cars?

I have 422 rwhp in my other car and its a mid 11 sec car now.
Old 09-26-06, 09:59 PM
jibbby

Z2bowner - No problem...I love doing the mods that most say are impossible or never tried before....My next step is working in the GT35 Single turbo systyem on my car and dumping the nos system...Working out the details now...I Just had my stock SC400 auto tranny built up and upgraded to hold 500whp...Did not use boost logic either....Very pleased with the crisp auto tranny performance so far......My original stock tranny gave out under the 300whp that was produced from my NOS system after 2 years of hard running... The NOS and lack of a tranny cooler had alot to due with the 105,000 mile original tranny failing.... I believe the SC400 trannies at stock will comfortably hold 350whp with the combination of a tranny cooler for years and years to come......400whp may be pushing it...

In regards to the V160 manual tranny swap that little deal will cost you 10grand...Might as well buy a Supra TT if you ask me..

What else...To produce a 450whp goal in a stock SC400. I definetely would say a single turbo system would be required, and also a build up of the stock transmission would be needed as well....I believe the stock engine would be able to handle the 450whp without forged internals...But again that would be cutting it a little close...You better fine tune for sure at that level....Pistons and rods may be compromised if the engine runs lean or pre detonation occures...

I think 400whp would be a more cost effective goal all the way across the board...Combine a good torque converter and a single turbo system setup that produces 400whp. Ride it until the original stock tranny fails like mine did then have it re-built with stronger parts to support the increased horse power... At 400whp your SC400 will be hard pressed to beat period as long as your traction setup is good.......

There is more potential then most would think in the SC400's....The straight six engine swaps are overated in my opinion... Many will disagree with that comment but I stand by it firmly....

The trannies are the biggest road block on the SC400's when modifing for big turbo horse power gains...Not fitting room, or anything else....It's the tranny....

Last edited by jibbby; 09-26-06 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-26-06, 10:00 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

What's the Camaro weigh? I'm betting it's in the neighborhood, weightwise anyway, with the SC4. The SC is most likely heavier, but I would think that 450 would net 11's. Traction and driver ability are probably going to be the biggest factors.

Quick Reply: Limiting factors in turboing the SC400?