Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 Lexus SC400 Supercharger project

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07 | 10:07 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I am very impressed.

is this your DD? how long do you expect it to last honestly?
These 1UZs are so overengineered, that I'd expect it to last another 150k miles on a blown motor if tuned correctly. Seriously.
Old 04-26-07 | 11:31 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akxx
These 1UZs are so overengineered, that I'd expect it to last another 150k miles on a blown motor if tuned correctly. Seriously.
I agree as long as I keep it at reasonable boost levels.
Old 04-26-07 | 02:23 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

The magnum blower case seems to be a great option for upgrading the eaton, but you don't necessarily have to use an eaton. The aussie who makes the manifolds makes top plates of all sorts...

It would be interest to me to see a Kenne Bell 2.1L in action on a lower compression 4.0L with forged internals. Obviously, there is no sense in running a Kenne Bell on a stock internals 4.0L, but If the motor could handle nearly 2 bar of boost....look at what the cobra guys are doing with the kenne bell. 500hp or something...

On another note;
Scott,
Do you think one would be able to run a 94-95 style ported eaton with no supporting fuel mods other than say a 255Lph fuel pump?

Would you recommend others to go with a 94-95 style thunderbird supercharger for the install to be less complex and less expensive? You can boost your 6-7lbs, run stock fuel management and not cause the stock tranny too much worry. You wouldn't have to modify the supercharger kit in anyway either, right?

The other thing in question is how much your headers are helping your setup as compared to stock manifolds. I would think it's tremendous especially in higher boost applications your talking about running 9-11#.

Did your kit come with the idlers or did you machine them? I'm lost there.

Great progess!!! Mad props.. I've been following your thread since the begining... Way to go out on a limb for all of us and the setup looks damn clean.
Old 04-26-07 | 02:55 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

I think the plate that goes into the rear intake of the blower is machined for the 92-93 T-bird M90--not sure what the 94-95 M90 intake port looks like, may be the same.
Old 04-26-07 | 08:19 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
No its not my DD I have a fine Tercel for that.
You better have a 3EF-TE with FMIC and a big single on that Tercel. If not, fork over the $1500 and get cracking.
Old 04-26-07 | 08:22 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
The magnum blower case seems to be a great option for upgrading the eaton, but you don't necessarily have to use an eaton. The aussie who makes the manifolds makes top plates of all sorts...

It would be interest to me to see a Kenne Bell 2.1L in action on a lower compression 4.0L with forged internals. Obviously, there is no sense in running a Kenne Bell on a stock internals 4.0L, but If the motor could handle nearly 2 bar of boost....look at what the cobra guys are doing with the kenne bell. 500hp or something...

On another note;
Scott,
Do you think one would be able to run a 94-95 style ported eaton with no supporting fuel mods other than say a 255Lph fuel pump?

Would you recommend others to go with a 94-95 style thunderbird supercharger for the install to be less complex and less expensive? You can boost your 6-7lbs, run stock fuel management and not cause the stock tranny too much worry. You wouldn't have to modify the supercharger kit in anyway either, right?

The other thing in question is how much your headers are helping your setup as compared to stock manifolds. I would think it's tremendous especially in higher boost applications your talking about running 9-11#.

Did your kit come with the idlers or did you machine them? I'm lost there.

Great progess!!! Mad props.. I've been following your thread since the begining... Way to go out on a limb for all of us and the setup looks damn clean.

I am thinking the only difference of a 94-95 T-bird supercharger is with regards to the intake port. You would probably just need to open up the intake tube to the rectangle port instead of a oval as supplied. As far as the intake that should be pretty much plug and play. You have a couple choices, you can get it machined for several different Blowers or get it as a blank to fit any supercharger. For simplicity stick with the M90, it works and clears the hood with a slight trimming of the hood bracing underneath. If you don’t want to modify the intake tube then go with the earlier T-bird charger.

As far as fuel management, mine is performing well at boost levels 7lbs and below, it is slightly rich at WOT but other than that it runs great. If going for more boost, Fuel will be a problem.

The idlers I did make. I believe there to be some difference in the Soarer pulley arrangement and the US version. The kit came with a pulley set up but I couldn’t get it to work. I used the bearing from the supplied Idler pulley and the stock Idler bearing and machined two aluminum pulleys to fit them along with some standoffs. The aluminum pulleys gave me a bit of trouble at first when they heated up with the bearings remaining a press fit due to expansion so I machined snap ring grooves in them to solve it. They seem to be working well now. Along with this pulley arrangement I was forced to get a little shorter belt.
The kit is a great kit, if used with a Eaton m90 there won’t be too much to make. Pulleys and throttle hookup are your biggest hurdles. I would be glad to get you any info you need to do it if you decide to supercharge you ride, It’s a lot of fun to drive.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, I imagine the headers help quite a bit in a boosted application. but i have no proof of that.
Old 04-26-07 | 08:24 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blizzy
You better have a 3EF-TE with FMIC and a big single on that Tercel. If not, fork over the $1500 and get cracking.
I wish, its my POS beater! Ha ha ha.
Old 04-26-07 | 08:25 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akxx
I think the plate that goes into the rear intake of the blower is machined for the 92-93 T-bird M90--not sure what the 94-95 M90 intake port looks like, may be the same.
I'm pretty sure it has the better flowing rectangle port, I say better flowing but not better than one flowed by magnum powers!
Old 04-27-07 | 07:13 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

i noticed a few posts up someone mention what would happen if they only upgraded their fuel pump. people have a misconception about fuel pump. a high pressure fuel pump will not do anything at all as long as the stock fuel pressure regulator is there.
Old 04-27-07 | 09:03 AM
SCSJ
Lead Lap

looks very good
Old 04-27-07 | 09:06 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CleanCL
i noticed a few posts up someone mention what would happen if they only upgraded their fuel pump. people have a misconception about fuel pump. a high pressure fuel pump will not do anything at all as long as the stock fuel pressure regulator is there.
Exactly, you have to change your fuel regulator as well
Old 04-27-07 | 11:00 AM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Yo Scott, You and Mr. Ryan Sc400TT. Have both inspired me to keep my 1u. I was in the process of droping my 1u for my 2j from my supra. But after reading countless number is postings by the 2 of you. I have come to the conclusion that i will boost my 1u and stay automatic. (ain't nothing wrong with the auto. No loss of boost during shifting ). I didn't realize how good the 1u is untill i read the posts of you and sc400tt. I am soon to boost my 400. I have been talking to a Mr. Andrew like you have posted. And he is assisting me on quest to more luxury performance. But My quest for PERFECTION will be more like Mr. Ryan and i am most likly going to do a build like he did. Forged non crap going side. I have been talking with Cowboy on ClubNa-t and i am going to do my heads as well. Get a nice set of cams blah blah blah. I just wanted to take both of you for shining rays of light on the 1u. Been so blinded by the light of the almighty 2j. This will be my JDMMUSCLE...sounds like a good lic. plate number JDMMSLE...
Old 04-27-07 | 11:17 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

What brand or type of fuel pressure regulator works best with this engine?
Meaning least amount of modification to the fuel rail, etc..
Old 04-27-07 | 06:28 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Here are a couple vids, They really suck! Camera Phone videos.
I will try to find someone with a better camera.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zyw6E38tS5M

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WI5eTeExgbY
Its hard to see here but it got really squirrly, it was spinning all the way to the end of the vid.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pVOM5zIROFg

Last edited by ScottURnot; 04-27-07 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-27-07 | 06:39 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

That's a bada** ride!!

~Josh

Quick Reply: 97 Lexus SC400 Supercharger project