Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 Lexus SC400 Supercharger project

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-07, 08:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Will it require a larger Pulley for higher Boost, to take advantage of the increased air flow capability ?
Old 02-25-07, 08:43 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Will it require a larger Pulley for higher Boost, to take advantage of the increased air flow capability ?
That's a really good question. I honestly don't know. I have 2 pulleys I purchased for my car and I know what they are supposed to make in boost. I will need to experiment with it to find out. I always have the stock one to try to, that is as soon as the polisher gets it done.

Anyone else have any idea about this?
Old 02-25-07, 10:27 PM
crowder13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not gonna require a LARGER pulley, a smaller pulley makes more boost if im not correct. sorry havent read anything other than first post just kinda jumped in
Old 02-26-07, 04:25 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by crowder13
its not gonna require a LARGER pulley, a smaller pulley makes more boost if im not correct. sorry havent read anything other than first post just kinda jumped in
Yes you are correct. I knew that but was just not saying anything. I bought a 6lb pulley and a smaller 9lb pulley. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 02-26-07, 09:26 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Guess I did not say that the right way. I meant Larger Boost not physical larger. Reason I asks is that Velosity is the key. You can flow more air but seems you would need something to pump/force more in, other wise it seems you would go backwards.
Old 02-26-07, 10:09 AM
crowder13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what can the stock v8s hold, speaking in lbs of boost
Old 02-26-07, 10:18 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure but I have heard 10-12lbs. I plan on staying around 9 for now.
Old 02-26-07, 12:52 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott--I'm usually on the LS400 forum, but glad I found this.

I have been eyeing the exact same M90 setup for my LS400 as you are already pioneering on this side of the pond!

Keep in mind that your Magna ported M90 will now produce 2-3 psi MORE boost for the same pulley as a stock T-bird M90 blower.

However, since intake temps will be cooler, I'm not sure what impact that will have in terms of requiring pulling out of timing, etc.

Also, with your 9psi pulley, you may want to seriously consider water injection, since air-air or air-water intercooling is a difficult proposition with your setup. I have found a link to a robust but reasonably priced water/methanol kit I am considering for when I go with the M90 kit. I'll have to dig it up and post it.

Keep up the great work!
Old 02-26-07, 12:56 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

I'm hearing ~7psi from an M90 without any computer or fuel mods--the stock computer supposedly will compensate.

I'm also hearing 10-12 psi with very good tuning, and of course larger injectors.

I think the OEM injectors will be maxing out around the 7psi mark, and that for a 400-450 HP goal (flywheel), injectors from a 7MGE motor should do the trick (315cc, I believe. And they swap right in with no mods).
Old 02-26-07, 01:40 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by akxx
I'm hearing ~7psi from an M90 without any computer or fuel mods--the stock computer supposedly will compensate.

I'm also hearing 10-12 psi with very good tuning, and of course larger injectors.

I think the OEM injectors will be maxing out around the 7psi mark, and that for a 400-450 HP goal (flywheel), injectors from a 7MGE motor should do the trick (315cc, I believe. And they swap right in with no mods).
That is what I have been told as well. I have a Perfect power SMT6 for fuel managment as well as a set of 315cc injectors. It will be Dyno tuned.
Old 02-26-07, 02:12 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Scott--curious as to how you came to choose the SMT6, and what others you considered? Do you have a local tuner proficient with it?
Old 02-26-07, 02:56 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Scott--curious as to how you came to choose the SMT6, and what others you considered? Do you have a local tuner proficient with it?
I chose it for two reasons #1 it was recommended by the people in Australia and #2 It has a ton of capabilities. In response to your question, no I don’t have a local guy; Houston is the closest guy I found. I have found a expert tuner in Oklahoma city that has accepted the challenge to learn it (at my expense) I have a lot of faith in him, he has been tuning for over 20 years and really knows what he is doing. It’s not local but he is only 3 hours away.
Old 02-26-07, 02:58 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Scott--I'm usually on the LS400 forum, but glad I found this.

I have been eyeing the exact same M90 setup for my LS400 as you are already pioneering on this side of the pond!

Keep in mind that your Magna ported M90 will now produce 2-3 psi MORE boost for the same pulley as a stock T-bird M90 blower.

However, since intake temps will be cooler, I'm not sure what impact that will have in terms of requiring pulling out of timing, etc.

Also, with your 9psi pulley, you may want to seriously consider water injection, since air-air or air-water intercooling is a difficult proposition with your setup. I have found a link to a robust but reasonably priced water/methanol kit I am considering for when I go with the M90 kit. I'll have to dig it up and post it.

Keep up the great work!

Good point, I put water injection on my last turbo car. My last kit was a Eldelbrock. I would like to know what you have found.
Old 02-26-07, 03:08 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
Guess I did not say that the right way. I meant Larger Boost not physical larger. Reason I asks is that Velosity is the key. You can flow more air but seems you would need something to pump/force more in, other wise it seems you would go backwards.
I asked the guys that make the supercharger and here is what they said. Keep in mind the response is geared towards a SC T-Bird.

"No That is wrong. You overdrive a supercharger to increase performance. Depending on what other modifications you have on your engine overdriving it will increase your HP and Ft LB of TQ. You can overdrive a supercharger if you have ported heads larger Injectors and a hotter cam. If you want to race or make things simpler for you the MPX supercharger is superior to the Magnaport 11. Now overdriving a sc will just add air to flow and it can give you extra boost. But at 4000 RPM you might have more boost than at 4500 rpm with a set of ported heads a good exhaust and a can and will have less boost but much better performance it also has a lot to do with the intercooler being used. Boost depends on back pressure the more backpressure the more boost and less performance. It is hard to explain it. I think you understand what I am saying if not I will try to make it clearer. Porting also has a lot to do with volumetric efficiency space to have more air flow through your engine and produce power. Some supercharges you have to under drive because you have to much boost and the air flow of CFM are not sufficient. It all has to do with the flow of air and temperature of charged cold air."
Old 02-27-07, 01:02 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Good point, I put water injection on my last turbo car. My last kit was a Eldelbrock. I would like to know what you have found.
The link is on my home computer--will try to get to it tonight.

Quick Reply: 97 Lexus SC400 Supercharger project