Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electrix Probelem Please Help (ALT?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-06, 04:09 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
hows the battery terminals look? I replaced the terminal ends when I was having a similar situation, and now all is good...
They were corroded before, but i scrubbed them down thoroughly and smeared dielectric grease all over them
Old 11-29-06, 01:29 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low V

The dielectric grease was an excel. idea.

I just got back from some travel a looked at your post again. "Since we last talked" you have posted that WITH A NEW BATTERY YOUR TERMINAL VOLTAGE WENT D O W N AFTER YOU STARTED YOU ENGINE. That proves your alternator is not working. Problem # 1 with that is that you don't know why it isn't working. A shop will verify the operation of the alternator in 3 minutes or less and probably wouldn't charge you if asked them to do that alone. Problem#2 is that the alternator will not cause your brake light problem or vice versa unless, and this is big, you have some weird miss wire in the harness.

To explain your radio cut out problem: You are loading the bat with acc. and the charge is being bled off. With a very fresh bat the thing discharges gracefully. When you switch of any of the load, the terminal voltage rises slightly for a short period of time. In your example, turning off the lights would let you play the radio for a few extra minutes.

As I said before, you have a special problem. I wish I could be of more help.

John
Old 12-04-06, 02:27 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your support!

After actually driving around for a few days, I have found that the primary problem no longer exists, under normal conditions it is back to normal. However, if I have ALL accesories on (AC, FAN, Radio, Lights, Defroster, Wipers) the voltage will slowly creep down (I put it under this high stress test initially which led me to my prior misperception of having the same problem) with the car in gear, in nuetral doesnt seem to be an issue. The only thing that is not stock is the amp in the rear, the previous owner replaced the blown nac amp with an aftermarket amp. It doesnt appear to be anything heavy duty, however it does have a fat power cable going straight to the battery, so perhaps there is above normal strain on the system from that. Also I am not 100% that the wiring was done correctly and I am suspectful that this maybe be a possible cause of the problem. At least I can drive normally now, until I figure this out.
Old 02-12-12, 07:20 PM
Drofseh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having an almost identical problem to the original post.

Car is a 92 sc400.

Whenever I step on the brake pedal I have a voltage drop.
The battery and alternator are both new. I figure it is a bad ground or a short somewhere.

Does anyone have a diagram of all the grounds for the sc400?

Thanks.