Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The car doesn't want to change gears now

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 04:35 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The car doesn't want to change gears now

A little over a week ago I was racing another mostly stock SC300, and after the last time we raced my car didn't want to come out of 4th gear.

When my car is turned off I can go through the gears fine, no problems at all, but as soon as I turn it on it won't budge. The clutch engages fine as far as, if I turn the car on with it in 1st or reverse, it'll move just fine, but won't come out of gear. If I start in 2nd, I can shift 2nd through 5th (and back down through to 2nd) if I revmatch it and let it clunk in, just like driving without a clutch.

I checked the clutch master cylinder and it was a little below the MIN mark, so I picked up some DOT3 and my friend and I are going to fill it back up and bleed the clutch in an hour or two, but do I have a more serious problem here?

The car also shakes now at idle, something it didn't do before, but other than the vibration it starts up fine, idles fine, revs freely, etc.

Any help, tips, anything would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-07-06, 09:29 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

So much for that Hurst shifter.

Your trans is saying its goodbyes to you.
I would take it in and have it gone through...Go to a Import guy or Lexus, Not Cletus at the local filling station.
Old 10-08-06, 01:12 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

I did some searching on SupraForums and saw people talking about the shift lever itself getting messed up, and there is a ton of play in the shifter when it's in gear.

Drove it again tonight, just over to my friend's house and back. He said he thinks it's a clutch problem, because there's some clinking noise when I start that he said sounded like a broken spring. The car will go into reverse and first if the car is shut off, but when it's running it won't come *out* of those gears for anything. 2nd through 5th, I can shift it.

Also, sitting in 2nd gear with the clutch fully in, the car starts to roll forward. If I give it gas with the clutch fully in still, the car starts to accelerate.
Old 10-08-06, 06:15 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles are on the clutch disk, pressure plate and throw out bearing?

Be prepared to replace them.

Bleed the clutch for any air in the line. If so, the clutch cylinders should be rebuilt.
Old 10-08-06, 07:19 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

shift lever itself getting messed up, and there is a ton of play in the shifter when it's in gear.
He said he thinks it's a clutch problem, because there's some clinking noise when I start that he said sounded like a broken spring. The car will go into reverse and first if the car is shut off, but when it's running it won't come *out* of those gears for anything. 2nd through 5th, I can shift it.
It very well may be just a clutch problem, but if you've been driving it around "cranking it into gear" your doing damage to the trans. If the clutch is not working, then the trans is getting beat up.
Old 10-11-06, 05:37 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by neuro4you@
It very well may be just a clutch problem, but if you've been driving it around "cranking it into gear" your doing damage to the trans. If the clutch is not working, then the trans is getting beat up.
I limped it home the night it happened, but aside from driving over to my friend's house and back to look at it that night it hasn't moved, because I thought the same thing.

Appreciate the feedback...I'm really hoping this ends up just being a clutch issue rather than having to replace my transmission too.

Big plans for the car, but would rather drive it while I save up for the mods.