Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering Woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 12:51 AM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Power Steering Woes

OK so after the whole NA-T install. My power steering has not worked since day one. I have ignored it and just driven it like that. So today after the car decided to follow a groove in the road and almost put me in the wall i decided its time to fix it. Now I have removed the pump and replaced the pump. Still no Power Steering. I replaced the reservoir and its still doesn't work. I replaced the return hose form the frame rail to the pump and still no power steering. I am only to believe that my rack is fubared I have even tried to bleed the powersteering pump a few times. Nothing. The fluid does not over boil and the pump does not make any nosie. So next I need to find the drain for the rack and drain it fully run compressed air through it and and make sure its not clogged. Then go from there. It doesn't leak and it seems to be cycling the fluid from out of the reservoir and back into it. It just does not work. I am going nuts about it. Any help would be appreciated. Any ideas what to look for. I did slightly bend one of my lines out of the way for the power steering but its not kinked just moved slightly. Like 1cm. to the outside which means its straightened not kinked
Old 10-20-06, 09:09 AM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know if this would cause it to not work but there are 2 plugs i think that go to the steering rackon pinion or wahtever. Im pretty sure you need one of them in, the other one i think is just for highway mode and normal(basically you get an extra boost of powersteering when your going slow or stopped and its less when your at higher speeds) I know it can work without that one plugged in. Just something to check, its directly below the powersteering pump, get to it from underneath the car
Old 10-20-06, 10:10 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the PS ECU behind the Glove box.
Old 10-20-06, 08:13 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

I was having drivability problems with my SC . The ride was brutally harsh and the steering seemed skittish off and on for quite a while. Sometimes it was pretty scarry to drive to be honest...
I was blaming it on my suspension and assumed my rack was starting to die out.
This is what I noticed by accident one day while i was just scanning my engine bay.
My power steering pressure switch was completely broken off of the steering rack and just dangling.
This may or may not be your problem. But simpe enough to take a quick look.
It was a very simple fix and the switch was $45. now i have my power steering back functioning pretty well. And my ride isnt as harsh either.
I had planned on doing a write up , and had taken a few pics , but it was so straightforward that i didnt bother to do it, and deleted most of the pics, But heres the broken switch.
Old 11-08-06, 04:10 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok great i will check that but my steering is not erratic. I have full fluid and I its cycles the fluid in and out of the pump so I don't know what is going on! I will check that pressure switch where is it located?
Old 11-11-06, 04:19 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lsflame
Ok great i will check that but my steering is not erratic. I have full fluid and I its cycles the fluid in and out of the pump so I don't know what is going on! I will check that pressure switch where is it located?
The fluid level didnt change on mine either, And I never lost the ability to steer.
Its not easy to describe. Like i said i assumed it was related to a suspension part failing.
When i would turn the wheel, it just didnt respond the way it should have. Not heavy, more loose actually. And it was never consistant, perhaps the ECU was trying to adjust it??
Anyhow, pwr str pressure switch is connected to the steering rack itself, attached to a sensor .
Also i wanted to mention, if you notice the location of the switch as well as the wire harness, , are in a spot that is very hot,and almost begs to be leaked on and shorted out.
You might want to check the wire harness and that grounding point there too.
Now I may be wrong , Im sure someone else is more knowledgable than I, and hopefully can chime in.
Something i noticed while exploring that area-
(If you follow the wire harness from there it leads to the transmission. And if im correct to the AT solonoid valves? So if youre also having issues related to the AT solonoids, it may all be related.
Old 11-21-06, 05:59 AM
Tymboo
Rookie

Default Power steering pump replaced yesterday

I had my power sterring pump replaced yesterday, now you have to be like superman or somebody just to turn the corner, or park. Does anyone know what my machanic might have done wrong. He told me that thats normal, and it would go away in a few days. I dont know though???? Anyone had this problem b4????